Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working on Downtown on and off for a couple of months, playing only solo.
I find that although the rules are very well written and easy to understand, I in my dotage cannot keep track of everything.

I am now trying to play without using any of the detection rules; in other words, all flights are detected at all times.

I still have trouble keeping things straight, but at least that is one large part of the game I don't have to worry about. As this part of the game does not rely on skill, only dice rolling, I don't seem to miss it.
Maybe when I get the rest of the game down, I will add it back in.

I am thinking of this as sort of the Quickstart Rules version of Whistling Death.

If anyone has any other suggestions for dumbing down the game,while maintaining the action, I would like to hear them. For me, this is the only way I can get through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, whatever makes if fun for you. Just do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a very reasonable way to keep complexity down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trillion die rolls and the complexity is also what keeps me from playing Downtown more.
I am very interested in the subject and love the overall idea of the mechanics, but it is just too complex.
If you dont play it for a month, you have to read the 30 pages rules again.
I would love to hear if you develop other "starter" ideas.
Thanks for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsidian Man
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember where i have read it but there was a previous draft of the rules with easier SAM rules. Maybe the author still has these rules.
It would be good to have a "Downtown lite"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will also not bother with the "engagement" rolls. Just assume both flights engage each other. One less dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I have eliminated the pilot aggressiveness as that is pretty arbitrary.
Also, since I play as if both flights engage automatically, if neither gets a shot off I do not roll for morale or scatter.

I am trying to reduce the number of dice rolls per encounter as there are so many flights and encounters, not to mention the AAA and I have not even gotten close to the targets.

I really like the concept of this game, but even with my simplifications, it might be too much to digest.

Any other suggestions at simplification would be most welcome.

Maybe move all the U.S. flights, then move the DRV flights. Then I wouldn't have to keep track of who has already moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
Now I have eliminated the pilot aggressiveness as that is pretty arbitrary.
Also, since I play as if both flights engage automatically, if neither gets a shot off I do not roll for morale or scatter.

I am trying to reduce the number of dice rolls per encounter as there are so many flights and encounters, not to mention the AAA and I have not even gotten close to the targets.

I really like the concept of this game, but even with my simplifications, it might be too much to digest.

Any other suggestions at simplification would be most welcome.

Maybe move all the U.S. flights, then move the DRV flights. Then I wouldn't have to keep track of who has already moved.

If you reintroduced Detection you wouldn't have nearly as many air-air engagements to resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.