• [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intellivision - with the baseball & basketball cartridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Winckler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say its a toss up between getting a Goldeneye for my Nintendo 64 when i was younger or more recently when i received the James Bond collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbourgeois wrote:
Commodore 64

That's my answer. Somehow I guess they knew I would grow up to program for a living...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
All I want to do when i wake up in the morning is see your eyes. Roseanna, Roseanna. I never thought a girl like you could ever care for me.
badge
Just got back from the down town Palais where the music was so sweet it knocked me right back in the alley, I'm ready. Yea, yea, yea, I'm ready. Wo, Wo, wo, I'm ready, and I'm really gonna rock tonight.
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas Day, 1990. I asked my girlfriend to marry me.

She said yes.

Fast forward to Christmas, 2010. Still married, and still the best present I ever got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the rather embarrassing photograph of me doing the happy dance in my underwear as I rip open the box, it was the record player I got when I was about 8 years old.

Technically, I was wearing a robe, too, but it was untied and had fallen open. So it would have been full frontal if not for my tightie whities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recall the year, but it was the first year my parents decided to start doing the "Special Gift." We didn't know about the decision at the time, but from that year and every next year there was a tiny stocking next to our big one that had a slip of paper that held the first clue that led to a hunt of sorts.

At the end of mine was none other than Axis & Allies, a game I had played earlier that year or the year before (memory is shaky) with my cousins and I had fallen in love with it. It was a total surprise, especially combined with the clue hunt. After Christmas and before school started back up, I was able to get my dad to play with me, sadly this game only once. It was one of only a handful of times I would get him across from me at the game table (not sure why since he had actually been a big game player when he was younger).

I was already a gamer at that point, but this really got me to keep more of an eye on boardgames because of how Rad they could be. Fortress America and Shogun would soon follow from the same series, but Conquest of the Empire (the original) would elude me until about 5 years ago (thank you eBay).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom gave me a house robe that she handmade. It looked great and was very comfortable. So much so, that I had it for 24 years before it finally fell apart. (She was working graveyard shift at Providence Hospital in Seattle with a 60 mile round trip. She still found time to make it.) Best Christmas gift ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
A tie:

At age 11 getting a TRS-80 (in 1977)

10 years later, at age 21, getting the second best "hummer" of my life from my then GF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for mine.........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
10 years later, at age 21, getting the second best "hummer" of my life from my then GF

Did she ask for the car back when you split up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Winckler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
My mom gave me a house robe that she handmade. It looked great and was very comfortable. So much so, that I had it for 24 years before it finally fell apart. (She was working graveyard shift at Providence Hospital in Seattle with a 60 mile round trip. She still found time to make it.) Best Christmas gift ever.

That is one awesome mom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
When I was 12:

Awesome game at that age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1979 my dad made us for Christmas the dashboard of a starship with all kinds of buttons and switches that lit up lights and made noises, it had 2 steering wheels and a gear shift and it was big enough that two kids could sit in front of it with room. We lived in a village named Carp and we dubbed the toy the "Starship Carpathia". We and many of the neighbor children had years of adventures with that starship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Awesome!

Also awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a great difficulty thinking of this. I'm not sure.

Starship Troopers started me in the hobby, but at the time, I didn't know it was to be that monumental to me.

My brother worked at a photo store, and they sold Atari 2600 stuff there. There were no video game stores. We were fairly low income, so the fact that we had a used Atari that a friend passed on to us was amazing, We expected about 1 cartridge per holiday. But he had taken all of the store demos. That year, under the tree was a box with no less than 30 cartridges. We expected 1 each maybe. Haunted House, Pitfall, Star Raiders, Space Invaders, Night Driver, Pac Man, Asteroids... So many. We were absorbed for days, just trying new games.

I'm not sure he was allowed to take those cartridges. But I never asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
That's a tough one. I think either of these two would hit the mark:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's episode of Unintended Thread Reply Matchups:

Osiris Ra wrote:

EgorjLileli wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More to the point, mine would be either the Atari I got waaaaaay back before they were known as 2600's (back when they were new... cool )

Or, maybe, the completely unexpected Sega Genesis system I got when I was in college. I was totally expecting socks, and sweaters, and other nice but not exciting stuff, and BAM! Video games!! (I can thank my sister for that one - she went to Mom and said "Look, we can get him a bunch of stuff he won't be excited about, or we can pool the cash and get him something he'll probably like a lot better...")

Fun to note so many game systems listed here - guess I'm not alone, though considering the audience maybe it's not surprising...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nothing really sticks out. No material item I can think of I would consider the "greatest present ever."

I'm hoping this year will bring something fantastic though, given what I'm going through in life currently. A little bit of stability in life would certainly feel like the best gift ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
Intellivision - with the baseball & basketball cartridges.

Same for me but replace basketball with skiing. Man I loved that baseball game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas 1988

+

A book named something Like Commondore 64 Tips and Tricks for programming or something like that.

That book was probably more important long range, as it awoke my intrest in programming and my need to learn english quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Today's episode of Unintended Thread Reply Matchups:

Osiris Ra wrote:

EgorjLileli wrote:

Well, after childhood and the Santa Claus era, nothing really sticks out as being GREAT or FANTASTIC as a gift. (Apparently, I'm hard to shop for, or something like that!).

In the Santa Claus era, it would probably be my bicycle when I was around 9 years old. But then, I was so greedy/self-centered back then, that I really didn't appreciate the gifts that much either!

SIGH.........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.