Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 6 player game, medium-ish weight, to play in no more than 90 minutes. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Friday night, my wife and I have dinner with my parents, and generally we break out a few board games afterwards. Recently, my older brother moved back from the USA, and is staying with my parents, and now he joins us for the Friday-night gaming session also. This is difficult, because he's pickier, and there's not as many games that play well with 5 people. And now I find out that his girlfriend is planning a visit sometime in the new year, and apparently she's keen on joining in on the gaming after being told what fun we've been having. I'm not certain whether my game collection is up to the task.

I'm looking for recommendations for games to add to my collection that will help make these 6-player game nights go a little smoother. My criteria are:

d10-1 6 Players. It must not only support 6 players, but should actually good with that number.

d10-2 30-90 minutes. It shouldn't just be a filler. Play length should be between 30 and 90 minutes, ideally lasting an hour.

d10-3 In stores now The game should be readily available. If I can't easily get a copy, its no use to me.

d10-4 Not too difficult. Complexity should be medium-light to medium. I'll be using this as a gateway game, or as a step up from a gateway game.

d10-5 Nice Bits I prefer to play games that are visually appealing when trying to lure someone into the hobby.

I already have quite a few games that match some of the criteria. Of these, some will definitely get played, some might get played, and a couple just don't seem appropriate.

Definitely:
Citadels
Jamaica
Chicago Express
Power Grid
Carcassonne
Formula D

Maybe:
RoboRally - Easy enough to play, and appropriate length, but perhaps too little strategy/too much luck involved.
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac - Seems appropriate, but I'm a little worried the unpainted minis might result in players getting mixed up.
Dixit - Could be some imbalances here when some people know each other very well, but others are new to the group.
The Pillars of the Earth Might be just past the threshold of beginner-friendly.

Unlikely:
Shadows over Camelot - Experienced players tend to dominate in co-op games.
Diamant - Too short, too simple.
Red November - Not good for new players, as the experienced players tend to take over.
Bohnanza - My brother doesn't like it (don't know why).
Catan - 6-player game drags too much with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 6 players and what you're looking for, I would go with Around the World in 80 Days.

After I first played it, I picked it up myself specifically because it's good with 6, plays in that amount of time, is not hard to pick up but clever enough to draw people in. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Revolution! + Revolution! The Palace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Crescent City
Northern California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read the criteria I thought of Formula D straight away. But, Dominion with the addition of Dominion: Intrigue might fit. I have not played with six, and I do hear it can bog down with some groupls. It is easy to come by, and fits your time constraints, and quick to teach. Another one I though of is GiftTRAP. It might be on the light side, but is fun, fits up to eight, and will finish within your time limits. It is extra fun when playin with family or close friends.

Happy Gaming!
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Crescent City
Northern California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
For 6 players and what you're looking for, I would go with Around the World in 80 Days.

After I first played it, I picked it up myself specifically because it's good with 6, plays in that amount of time, is not hard to pick up but clever enough to draw people in. I like it.

I have had my eye on this one for quite some time now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that 7 Wonders would be well worth a look. I haven't played it yet but I'm getting it for just this type of scenario.

Has it hit Aussie yet? It arrives in NZ late this month - so not far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try Shadow Hunters ... fun game for 5-8 players, goes relatively quickly and fairly easy to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Birnbaum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bredin
United States
Holt
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Colosseum is good fun. Love the bits.. plays fast.. and always the good kind of competitive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

simple...

Nuns on the Run

...next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago express is not recommended with 6. Power Grid will take longer than 90 mins. Would not recommend Citadels with 6 either, takes too long for a filler style game. Pillars is more like 3 hours with 6. Roborally will also be over 2 hours. Try Medici. Probably the length you want. Hotel Samoa also plays 6, but I haven't tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldinar wrote:
Colosseum is good fun. Love the bits.. plays fast.. and always the good kind of competitive!

5 players max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Nuns on the Run and Shadow Hunters.

I also add the following:

Elfenland
And Tichu is an excellent card came for that number of people.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick s
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 player power grid in 90 minutes? Am I playing it wrong? our 3 player games take over 2 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaping Lemmings is great with 6, lots of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drxcm wrote:
Leaping Lemmings is great with 6, lots of fun

+1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG!

You can giggle when you bang your brother's girlfriend. It's immaturely funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici

A 6 player game won't take you much more than 60 mins, up to 90 if you've got analysis prone players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Shadow Hunters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Medici got a nod. It's a good game, and I just played it's lighter sibling, Strozzi, tonight. I was reminded of how fun this game can be. I think that Strozzi got a bad rap because all the Medici fans were turned off because it was so much lighter (about all it kept from Medici was the scoring system, and the tricky down-to-the-dollar bidding is gone), but if you take it on it's own it is a very good game that plays 6 and is somewhere between Power Grid and Ticket to Ride in complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:

Another vote for Around the World in 80 days!
It also works well with different levels of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second both Elfenland and Around the World in 80 Days as I think they play best with 6...

Telestrations also plays well with 6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Medici here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever see a copy of Montgolfiere in an auction, this is the game you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.