Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
70 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: PopeBrain rambles on about beer - Name your local brews! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer

no, that's not right

BEER!!!

That's more like it. I have been a happy beer-drinker for about 15 years now - and I have the belly to prove it! As I write this post, I have a bottle of the greatest brew in the world sitting right in front of me. Newcastle Brown Ale. Sam is a liar. Samuel Adams is good, maybe even great, but it still pales in comparison to a pint of The Brown. Given the opportunity to "travel the world over" to "find a better beer", I'd probably book a ticket to Newcastle, then head over to Dublin for a fresh pint'o'Guinness.

Nukie, as we fondly refer to it, has a bad rap primarily I think for it's color. Put a Nukie in front of anyone that likes a medium weight beer, and more often than not, it's a hit. Now, those of you Coors Light fans - OK, I admit, you just won't like it. However, a pint of Nukie and a gallon of sparkling water tastes remarkably like Coors Light.

Not that I don't like light beers. I drink more light beers than dark ones as a practical matter.

Once, about 10 years ago, when I first started travelling for my job, I went to a local bar in Louisville, KY with my co-workers. As far as travel goes, I had only been to Europe as an adult, so to me - this looked like the ultimate scary hick bar. Now older and wiser - it wasn't that bad. ANYWAY, I went up to the bar and asked the bartender "What do you have in a dark beer?" She said, in her cutest southern accent "Y'all don't drink much beer, do ya?" I was dumbfounded. I stared stupidly at the pretty girl for a few seconds, until one of my co-workers slapped me on the back and said "Order a Bud Light, ya idiot." -- "Bud Light, please."

To this day, I call bars that only serve the major brands "Budweiser Bars". Thankfully, that is less and less common nowadays. I'm not sure what has changed, but most liquor stores and bars, even in the smallest remote towns will have 6-packs of some damn good beer - especially local brews.

OK, so now that I've rambled on for awhile, I'll actually make a point for this post that I just thought of.

Name the best local brews from your town/state/country/county/locality/whatever. You can believe that I will try them all if at all possible.

From the posts below so far we have the following beer list:

Newcastle Brown Ale from Newcastle in Northumberland - My favorite
Sam Adams Boston Lager - An excellent beer
Coors Light Colorado - A poor light beer
Guinness Dublin - The classic stout. I toured the brewery.
Bud Light How can I not know where Bud is made, but really it's made everywhere now - Another poor light beer, but a bit better than Coors...
SAM JACKSON - fiction from a skit? but I don't know from where...
Genessee Upstate NY - I worked across the street from the brewery in Rochester, NY and there was a local bar nearby that always had fresh supplies directly from the brewery - so they said.
Utica Utica, NY - Sounds familiar - and sounds good.
ceres royal from Denmark - added to the "green" list
Miller Again, a biggest selling beer and I don't remember where it originated - Most drinkable of the big boys, I think, but still to avoid.
Free State - Lawrence, KS eh? Well, if I ever get there . . .
Boulevard Brewery Kansas City, Kansas or Missouri - Good Porter, they get the occasional 6 pack at a good local liquor store that seems to buy random 6 packs from all over.
Bell Stout - Kalamazoo, MI Great Stout - I need to track some of that down . . .
Arcadia Battle Creek, MI I'm thinking this was the brewery/woodfired pizza joint I went to in downtown Battle Creek a few times. Awesome beer and specialty pizza.
Dark Horse - Lawrence, MI
Dragonmead - Lawrence, MI?
Unibroue Montreal - Spent much time in Canada, and never heard of this one . . . so now it's on the "green" list.
Founder's Grand Rapids, MI A spot to check out next time I'm in Grand Rapids.
New Holland MI I think I can picture the bottle - this one has reasonable distribution, does it not? Pretty skunky tasting if I remember ...
Midtown Brown at Bosco's Memphis - And a spot to check out when I'm in Memphis next year.
Bass Ale England somewhere? - A quality choice!
Heineken The Netherlands, I think - Drank a whole lot of this visiting Holland as a younger man. Mildly skunky tasting, but that seems to be what people love about it. Once in awhile for me.
Madison beers I'll list them in detail later. I've been to the Great Dane and Capital Brewing, not the others, but I'll be in "MadCity" in a couple of months, so I onto the green list they go.
Bridgeport Pacific NW, USA? (great stout) I've spent a lot of time in Seattle and Portland, so a bunch of these will be familiar to me.
Deschutes(porter and IPA) Pacific NW, USA? Unique.
Full Sail Pacific NW, USA? Great stuff!
Hair of the Dog Pacific NW, USA? Average.
MacTarnahans (Amber Ale) Pacific NW, USA?
Rogue (Shakespeare Stout) Pacific NW, USA?
Widmer Brothers Pacific NW, USA? (of course, well know for their hef) Awsome Hefeweizen!
Alaskan Amber Alaska One of the better Ambers
Mcmenamins Pacific NW, USA? - If you find yourself anywhere on the northwest coast, FIND A MCMENAMINS, one of the most unique bar/brewery/winery/distillery/entertainment chains ever!
Rock Creek Pacific NW, USA?
Sleeman's Honey Brown No idea where Sleeman is from. By far the WORST honey brown, maybe beer in general, that I have ever had. Some say they have "off" batches, so I tried it a few times. Sucked every time. Their other brews are average-to-good however.
Lone Star San Antonio, Texas
Killian's Irish Red Ireland somewhere? Big name, for good reason, a great red.
Shiner Bock A good beer from Texas.
Red Hook ESB A favorite bitter from near Seattle.
RAM Indianapolis, IN - A good spot for food and beer during GenCon, if you can get in. Their IPA has been recommended.
Tecate Mexico somewhere - Easy to drink too much.
Corona Mexico somewhere - but I understand that they primarily make it for export to the US. Outside of touristy areas, you can't really order this.
Negra Modelo Mexico's finest dark, as far as I know - very good.
Leffe England?
Chimay England? special occasion beers
Pilsener Urquell England? special occasion beer
James Squire Porter England? and Pilsener-anytime
James Boag England? everday beer
Cascade England? light-when driving
Boddinton Manchester, England smooth especially by the pint
Cooper's Sparkling Ale Australia?
Lagunita IPA Northern California
Boont Amber Northern California
Red Seal Ale Northern California
North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial stout Northwestern US?
North Coast's Old Stock Ale Northwestern US?
Grain Belt Premium Minneapolis, Minnesota Now produced by Schell
Summit St. Paul, Minnesota - some of the best seasonals in the state.
Schell New Ulm, Minnesota - the old workhorse, revitalized recently
Pyramid Seattle, WA Apricot Ale and others, good brew
Samuel Smith's Yorkshire, UK Great stuff.
Belhaven Scotland
Left Hand Brewing Company's Milk Stout Longmont, CO
John's Generations White Ale eastern Iowa
Leinenkugel's Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin a very "mainstream" craft brewery
Town Hall Bright Spot Golden Ale - Minneapolis, Minnesota - the microbrew not to miss in Minneapolis
Lake Superior Split Rock Bock - Duluth, Minnesota - decent "hybrid" recipes
Gluek Brewing Cold Spring, MN - drinkers beer
James Page Boundary Waters Golden Lager Minneapolis, MN - The beer that really "taste's Minnesota"
Pig's Eye St. Paul, MN - the swill of our forefathers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You already mentioned the best damned beer on the planet - Coors Light!

Or, as we used to call it in Texas, Rocky Mountain Pisswater.

That's about all I drink and not much of it either. I do the driving when me and the lady hit the CW Saloons to do a little 2-stepping or the Cowboy Jerk & Pull, so I have to stay sober. And if you're a Coors Light man, then you know it's mighty easy to stay sober drinking the Silver Bullet.

BTW, the correct pronuciation is: Cuwers Laht.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
SAM JACKSON BEER! It'll get you drunk! You'll be ****in' fat chicks in no time! You might even FIGHT a nigga or two! YES they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in HELL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't stand Bud or Miller. Not that they are bad beers, I just don't like them, and it dissappoints me that the country has become so homoginized when it comes to beer and other food stuffs. (Don't get me started on pizza! Pizza Hut sucks!)

New York has some fine beers. When it comes the the classic American light lager, I have a soft spot in my heart for Genessee. Not the cream ale that is popular upstate, but their basic Genny. Can't find it anywhere in neighboring Connecticut, where I now live. I have to pick up a case whenever I'm in central NY.

Matt's Brewery in Utica, NY is doing a great job of offering choices in beer. They produce Utica Club, a very old product that's not bad. Anyone remember their ads with the talking beer steins? They have also created a line called Saranac Beer, which produces a number of great styles of beer and ale, all excellent. Microbrew quality with mid-size brewery availablilty and distribution. I can find these in CT. Their ales are very good. If you're ever in Utica, NY, I recommend their brewery tour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bettina Sejbjerg
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ceres royal from denmark................

any wheat beer from germany............

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick story:
My father and I were driving cross-country. Found ourselves in Texas. Stopped at a steakhouse for dinner. We asked the waitress (I beleive her name was Flo, and she said "Kiss my grits" alot) what kinds of beer they had (expecting the usually plus some of that Texas swill we've heard about). "Honey, there's no beer, this is a DRY county!" surprisesurprise
Had we stumbled through some sort of time warp? Was there a rupture in the time/space continuum? We checked our watches, it was still 1997, wasn't it? (Looking at our watches didn't answer that question.) Did such places still exist or was she pulling a couple of North Easters' legs? We were flabbergasted and very disappointed.

Oh, back to my previous post: I'd like to say my homebrew was my favorite, but I've had no luck lately, and my last three batches came out terrible. Nothing worse than standing over a sink, dumping bottle after bottle of beer.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
IMO the best beer is in Belgium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can't stand Bud or Miller. Not that they are bad beers,

Um...yes. Yes they are. They are the Monopoly of beers.

My favorite beer is my own...got a batch of Czech-style Pils conditioning in bottles as we speak. Should be ready to drink next week. Just in time, too, since I'm about to run out of my Christmas Spiced Ale...cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Locally, Lawrence has collapsed back down to a single micro-brewery at Free State (the first legal brewery in Kansas since the 1800s). They don't sell their beer commercially, so if you want it, you have to go there and get it. Good stuff, usually have 8-10 varieties of their own beer on tap that change seasonally, for a total collection of about 16-24 different brews. I'm a fan of their Wheatstate Golden Pilsner and Oatmeal Stout.

Regionally, we have the Boulevard Brewery (technically, it's in Missouri) that produces a several beers that are sold throughout the region (I'm not sure how far they distribute). I like their wheat and porter.

Like Texas, Kansas has some dry counties out there (remember, Carrie Nation was big in Kansas, we were one of the first states into prohibition, and one of the last states out), but I don't live near any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Um...yes. Yes they are.

/grits teeth, counts to ten...

Although I'm sure you meant it in fun (where's the smiley?), nothing annoys me more than to have a comment dismissed with "um...", which can be read as, "you don't know what your talking about, but I'm not going to argue with you, just dismiss your opinion."

Tell me HOW Bud is a bad beer, FOR IT'S STYLE? It's goal is a light, highly carbonated lager. Mission accomplished. (after mowing the lawn on a hot, humid day, I'll probably reach for an American lager, like my beloved Genny, before I'll grab a stout). I agree 100% that nearly every other style of beer is better. But while I, as well as many other beer drinker in the US (and probably EVERY beer drinker in Europe), write off Bud and the others as bland, I refuse to sink to the level of beer snob and call it bad.

I think wheat beers taste like crap. angry But I won't say they're bad. I'll just drink something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Local brews? This area of Michigan is a fantastic place for good beer actually.

Just down the way Kalamazoo is home to Bell's brewery, who are mainly known among beer snobs for making quality stouts (particular Expedition Imperial) as well as some tasty old ales.

Up in Grand Rapids we have Founder's downtown, a brewery that many locals are fond of, though most of their stuff is fairly flat with me, though, again, their Imperial Stout is fairly unique.

West we have New Holland, which is mostly ass, so I won't comment further on them, though their Phi dark lager is at least worth trying if you run acros it.

In Battle Creek Arcadia makes a variety of excellent choices, their scottish ale being a particular favourite of mine, and fairly easy to find on tap around these parts.

Getting slightly further away there are a number of other good breweries in the middle and east part of the state such as Dark Horse in Lawrence, and Dragonmead, who make a damn fine trippel named Final Absolution.

I also am a big fan of Belgians though, particular dark belgians, trippels, and quads, most of which come straight from monastaries

And the best brewer anywhere, without a doubt, is Montreal's Unibroue...best brewer in North America that I've sampled. They make a variety of Belgian style offerings with the Bavarian purity laws as their guidelines. Never had a bad beer from them, Trois Pistoles and Maudite are particular favourites from their regular line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pretty funny CapAp. Just saw that skit last night. Needless to say, I was rolling on the floor!

In Memphis the best local brew I like is Midtown Brown at Bosco's in (you guessed it) Midtown. Good stuff!

Unfortunately they are closing down our Coors factory here! That bites!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
PopeBrain wrote:
To this day, I call bars that only serve the major brands "Budweiser Bars".

How about "MegaSwill" bars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
CapAp wrote:
SAM JACKSON BEER! It'll get you drunk! You'll be ****in' fat chicks in no time! You might even FIGHT a nigga or two! YES they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in HELL!

Get drunk biiiich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
DWTripp wrote:
You already mentioned the best damned beer on the planet - Coors Light!

Or, as we used to call it in Texas, Rocky Mountain Pisswater.

That's about all I drink and not much of it either. I do the driving when me and the lady hit the CW Saloons to do a little 2-stepping or the Cowboy Jerk & Pull, so I have to stay sober. And if you're a Coors Light man, then you know it's mighty easy to stay sober drinking the Silver Bullet.

BTW, the correct pronuciation is: Cuwers Laht.

An even better pronuciation is water.

This beer can best be described as the Ticket to Ride of beers. It is purely a gateway beer that you use to introduce newbies into getting drunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
CameronL wrote:
Quick story:
My father and I were driving cross-country. Found ourselves in Texas. Stopped at a steakhouse for dinner. We asked the waitress (I beleive her name was Flo, and she said "Kiss my grits" alot) what kinds of beer they had (expecting the usually plus some of that Texas swill we've heard about). "Honey, there's no beer, this is a DRY county!" surprisesurprise
Had we stumbled through some sort of time warp? Was there a rupture in the time/space continuum? We checked our watches, it was still 1997, wasn't it? (Looking at our watches didn't answer that question.) Did such places still exist or was she pulling a couple of North Easters' legs? We were flabbergasted and very disappointed.

Oh, back to my previous post: I'd like to say my homebrew was my favorite, but I've had no luck lately, and my last three batches came out terrible. Nothing worse than standing over a sink, dumping bottle after bottle of beer.soblue

Cameron, I home brew as well. My favorite beer is Ginesse which I have home brewed or cloned if you will.
I also like Bass Ale, which taste a lot like Samuel Adams.

Have you ever had a good batch?
What did the failures taste like?

Too bitter? If so sounds like your hops measurements might have been off.

Taste like bug spray? If so sounds like the beer was infected. Look at your sterilization procedure, somewhere in the process you may be introducing air born bacteria which will ruin your beer every time.

Also if you use grains to start with remember when steeping them to draw out their sugars and flavor that you DO NOT want them to get over 180 degrees. If you boil them it will leech out a chemicle called tannin. This will make the beer taste bitter, and not in a good hops kind of way.

Just thought I would offer that up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at the 'time' it was local.

The buds and I were in Amsterdam at a little pub house drinking two day old Heineken. The pub was just a few blocks from the brewery. This was pre Euro, and the exchange rate for $US was incredibly lopsided, to our favor. I remember being terribly drunk, then reaching that place people refer to as drinking yourself sober. But we didn’t stop there. We went beyond to becoming positively $h!t faced. We were happy drunks that day.

I’ll take a Heineken as first choice any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kraft
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many microbreweries in and around Madison, WI. If you are ever in the area, check out these:

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com
http://www.greatdanepub.com/beerMadison.php *
http://www.angelicbrewing.com/brewery/index.php *
http://www.jtwhitneys.com/brewery/ *
http://www.capital-brewery.com/ourbeers/index.html
http://www.lakelouie.com/beerstyles.htm
http://www.grumpytroll.com/ *

Current personal favorite- Blonde Dopplebock from Capital Brewery. I don't have anything against Bud... but it is a pilsner and I don't really like pilsner beer. Give me a bock, marzen, or scotch style ale... or a solid bitter or IPA and I am satisfied.

*Indicates place to drink/eat on premises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - so far we have the following beer list:

Newcastle Brown Ale - My favorite
Sam Adams An excellent beer
Coors Light - A poor light beer
Guinness - The classic stout.
Bud Light - Another poor light beer, but a bit better than Coors...
SAM JACKSON - fiction from a skit? but I don't know from where...
Genessee - I worked across the street from the brewery in Rochester, NY and there was a local bar nearby that always had fresh supplies directly from the brewery - so they said.
Utica - Sounds familiar - and sounds good.
ceres royal from denmark - added to the "green" list
Miller - Most drinkable of the big boys, I think, but still to avoid.
Free State - Lawrence, KS eh? Well, if I ever get there . . .
Boulevard Brewery Good Porter, they get the occasional 6 pack at a good local liquor store that seems to buy random 6 packs from all over.
Bell Stout - Great Stout - I need to track some of that down . . .
Arcadia I'm thinking this was the brewery/woodfired pizza joint I went to in downtown Battle Creek a few times. Awesome beer and specialty pizza.
Unibroue Spent much time in Canada, and never heard of this one . . . so now it's on the "green" list.
Founder's A spot to check out next time I'm in Grand Rapids.
New Holland I think I can picture the bottle - this one has reasonable distribution, does it not? Pretty skunky tasting if I remember ...
Midtown Brown at Bosco's And a spot to check out when I'm in Memphis next year.
Bass Ale A quality choice!
Heineken Drank a whole lot of this visiting Holland as a younger man. Mildly skunky tasting, but that seems to be what people love about it. Once in awhile for me.
Madison beers I've been to the Great Dane and Capital Brewing, not the others, but I'll be in "MadCity" in a couple of months, so I onto the green list they go.

I'm going to start maintaining this list at the top now. Good suggestions people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Shannon
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
first, have to give a url. I love this store, and it delivers, amazing amount of beer (as they state, on the wall is over 400 different brands). http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/.

Oregon has some great micro breweries. To name just a few:
Bridgeport (great stout)
Deschutes (porter and IPA)
Full Sail
Hair of the Dog
MacTarnahans (Amber Ale)
Rogue (Shakespeare Stout)
Widmer Brothers (of course, well know for their hef)
You should also try Alaskan (from alaska, imagine that), makes a good amber)

There are a few more independent brew pubs (Mcmenamins, rock creek, and probably at least 6 more that you can't buy their beer from stores). There are some great craftsmen of beer in this area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bell Stout - Great Stout - I need to track some of that down . . .

Important to differentiate here

I recommend Bell's Expedition Stout (Russian Imperial style) which is just one of the many stouts that the brewery makes. Other tasty stouts in their catalogue include Kalamazoo Stout (their standard milk stout) and Double Cream Stout (an extra milked version of Kazoo Stout). They've also done, among others, Bourbon Barrel Aged Expedition Stout, Java Stout, Harry McGill's Spiced Stout, Susie's Sweet Stout, Cherry Stout, Trumpeter's Stout, Oatmeal Stout and Rye Stout just in the past two years. Stouts are their specialty.

Unibroue}g Spent much time in Canada, and never heard of this one . . . so now it's on the "green" list.

Unibroue's stuff is actually easier to find in the States than in Canada for some reason. I remember being pissed (upset not drunk ) when I was in Montreal and had to settle for a Sleeman's Honey Brown in place of a freshly brewed offering from Unibroue. They really can do no wrong though.

Their main line:

- Trois Pistoles (Belgian Dark Ale)
- Maudite (Belgian Dark Ale)
- La Fin du Monde (Belgian Light Ale)
- Don de Dieu (Belgian Light Ale)
- Blanche de Chamblay (Wit style, the only thing I don't really care for)
- Epherme (Various Fruit flavoured lighter beers, Apple is pretty easy to find locally, but they do about 5 or so different ones depending on the season)

And they also do a number of limited offerings, they do Quelque Chose (a Cherry heavy winter drink, non-carbonated, sort of like hoppy cherry cider if that makes any sense) seasonally, as well as La Terrible (a Dark Ale) and always do yearly ones too...though I think Edicion 2005 is still only available in Quebec...the 2004 was delightful, very spicy, even more so than Maudite which is pretty impressive in that regard.

Founder's A spot to check out next time I'm in Grand Rapids.

Definitely, skip the other bars downtown...most people who don't know the area head to the highly overhyped "BOB" (big old building) but Founder's is where it's at...

New Holland I think I can picture the bottle - this one has reasonable distribution, does it not? Pretty skunky tasting if I remember ...

Depends on the particular beer. They do a number of them, the only ones I've personally sampled are Ichabod (Pumpkin flavoured...with a metallic edge, drives me crazy), Phi (a Dark Lager), and Poet's Stout (pretty bland). They're relatively new so I'm still giving them the benefit of a doubt, but the only thing I've had that I'd even retry is Phi, and that's one of their four seasonals...and seasonals / brewery specialties are almost always better than regular line stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
This beer can best be described as the Ticket to Ride of beers. It is purely a gateway beer that you use to introduce newbies into getting drunk.

Well, why not? I like that concept.

What's just hilarious to me is how so many males get all huffy and puffy and insist on one-upping each other about beer. The only difference between you guys and the metrosexual girly-men is the source of the alchohol isn't grapes and you don't sound as foppish when you chatter like little girls about which beers makes you stupid and dangerous quickest. But you still remind me of a bunch of junior high school twits bragging about their favorite pair of jeans or the latest teen idol. You know, it goes like this: "Na ahh, I think my Jordach jeans are better than your Mudd jeans and isn't the latest Ricky Garcia clone just hot, hot, hot??? It's like, she goes, you know?"

You guys need to brag about something with real meaning to a real male member of the species. Try comparing penis sizes. Or maybe scars that weren't caused by cutting yourself with a pair of kindergarten scissors. Or perhaps how many times you were shot at. Or how many women you slept with before the first time you got married.

Let's face it guys... beer is no longer about men. Women drink it like fish and when they do, they act just as stupid and revolting as beer-drunk men do.

Coors Light forever!!!! Unless of course, someone is willing to pick me up a case of Lone Star and send it my way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What's just hilarious to me is how so many males get all huffy and puffy and insist on one-upping each other about beer. [etc etc Tripp rant]

I once read that most men settle on a "brand" of beer by the age of 22, so that's why companies tow the line so close on marketing to young people. I never understood that, but since I was 19 Nukie is still my favorite, so it kind of makes sense. I like to try new things, anything, beer, food, games, music, books, all the time. I don't settle on much of anything. I move from one obsession to the next, and then back again. Tripp's post is only slightly irritating, because I know EXACTLY what he's talking about. That whole Bud/Miller bitch fest . . . like "You a Chevy man? or a REAL man FORD driver?" bullshit. However, Tripp, I did ASK for a list of as many beers as possible, and I'm quite happy with the response.

Keep 'em coming folks, I got a lot of travelling left to do, and there's a lot of beers out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
True Herr Pope. You did indeed get quite a list. And you have also unmasked me as a beer no-nothing. When in Europe I usually just asked, "what do you recommend for a guy who hates getting drunk?" And they always served something good. In the states or Canada I'd ask the same question or just order a Light beer.

Mexico though, different story, you just say "Uno mas cervaza, por favor." And use whatever they bring to wash the tequila down. Like Toby Keith says, "What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

Well, why not? I like that concept.

What's just hilarious to me is how so many males get all huffy and puffy and insist on one-upping each other about beer. The only difference between you guys and the metrosexual girly-men is the source of the alchohol isn't grapes and you don't sound as foppish when you chatter like little girls about which beers makes you stupid and dangerous quickest. But you still remind me of a bunch of junior high school twits bragging about their favorite pair of jeans or the latest teen idol. You know, it goes like this: "Na ahh, I think my Jordach jeans are better than your Mudd jeans and isn't the latest Ricky Garcia clone just hot, hot, hot??? It's like, she goes, you know?"

You guys need to brag about something with real meaning to a real male member of the species. Try comparing penis sizes. Or maybe scars that weren't caused by cutting yourself with a pair of kindergarten scissors. Or perhaps how many times you were shot at. Or how many women you slept with before the first time you got married.

Let's face it guys... beer is no longer about men. Women drink it like fish and when they do, they act just as stupid and revolting as beer-drunk men do.

Coors Light forever!!!! Unless of course, someone is willing to pick me up a case of Lone Star and send it my way.

Lets brag about GUNS. Now GUNS are about men. Chic's hate GUNS. Except for the ones that are really on our team, like Calamity Jane and the like.

My favorite gun is my New model Ruger Super Blackhawk chambered for the .44 magnum cartridge.

There is nothing like drinking beer and shooting guns. Oh wait. How bout reloading your own cartridges while drinking beer and then drinking more beer and going shooting your favorite gun.

What harm could come of that? Good old wholesome fun it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.