Subject: Simultaneous Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: VGG: Roguelike genre fanMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Blizzard Entertainment fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG fan
Has anyone toyed with the idea of simultaneous movement? Assuming the rules could be tweaked for balance would simultaneous movement be a good thing or a bad thing?

It would speed up the game, but I don't really find the game drags, even with 8 players. Would the game lose some tension? Or maybe tension would build.

Just as a first stab, this is what comes to mind:

Phase 1: Movement
Everyone records their new location. If you attacked last turn your movement is forced (see below).

Phase 2: Draw cards
Anyone in an unsafe sector who didn't attack draws a card. They record the location of the noise they make.

Phase 3: Reveal noises
Just like the current system, you go around the table and give a sector number, say "silent", "safe", or "I attacked last turn"

Phase 4: Attack
This is the only real difference from the rules and probably needs some play balancing. Any alien (or human with a gun?) can now attack any hex it can reach (or perhaps just adjacent?). The attack is resolved. On the next movement phase, the attacker is forced to move to the attacked sector.

An alternative would be to not announce the result of the attack until the next Reveal Noise phase with an added option of "I didn't move because I was eaten". So everyone hears an alien attack but doesn't know the resolution until after they plot their next move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silva Lorenzo
Italy
Milano
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: King's Dilemma fanMicrobadge: Potion Explosion fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Fighter fanMicrobadge: Dragon Castle fanMicrobadge: I play with purple!
It seems a good idea! I will try this version as soon as possible, and let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Go fanMicrobadge: Glory to Rome Black Box fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
We accidentally played this way when we played last night. Everyone wrote down their moves simultaneously, then we asked everyone if they needed to draw a card, and then resolved the actions in player order.

We didn't have a situation when an alien attacked at the same time that a human tried to defend themselves, but I did wonder aloud how that would be resolved.

I suspect that a simultaneous-action variant makes the game much easier for the humans. I was making noises on my turn, but the aliens that played after me had already written down their moves and couldn't react to the noise I made.

The game was still intense, and I barely escaped. An alien was one hex away when I made it to the escape pod. All three humans survived, though, and I suspect one of us would have been eaten if the aliens had a little more help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls