Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of standard Fluxx as a gift for my sister's family. They hace older children (not quite teenagers but not that young either) and my thinking was that this would be a good family game for them.

Now I'm wondering whether I should have traded down a little and bought Family Fluxx. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is pretty stupidly simple. They'll be fine with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never give Fluxx as a gift unless I was in complete despair that such a recipient could ever appreciate a good family game. No, actually, not even then: A mindless gift card would say "I love you only enough to be obligated to gift giving" better than Fluxx could. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the first two replies. They know not of what they speak. The gift will be fine and Fluxx is a very good game. They will have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always amazed that people who hate Fluxx will come to the Fluxx forums and post things as silly as they do.

Fluxx is a fine gift, in fact, quite a fun one for many people. I would be sure to sit down and play a game with them. Point out some important items as you play, and talk through a few turns (if you change Draw 1 to Draw 3, you draw 2 more right away, for example). If you have non-gaming friends, it can still be a bit overwhelming to figure out what all the cards do. But yes, it's a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I think they'll definitely have fun with it! The hardcore gamer crowd might scoff at it, but I've never introduced Fluxx to any family or friends that didn't think it was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx and all its varients are great family gifts. I play regular, Monty Python and Zombie with family.

It is perfect for a light gaming night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Fluxx and all its varients are great family gifts. I play regular, Monty Python and Zombie with family.

It is perfect for a light gaming night.

There's also Family fluxx if you're wanting younger members of the family to want to join in as well :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I bought a copy of standard Fluxx as a gift for my sister's family. They hace older children (not quite teenagers but not that young either) and my thinking was that this would be a good family game for them.

Now I'm wondering whether I should have traded down a little and bought Family Fluxx. Do I have anything to worry about?

Family Fluxx is targeted for younger children. For older children, you're better off with regular Fluxx, or one of the themed Fluxxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Yup, I think they'll definitely have fun with it! The hardcore gamer crowd might scoff at it, but I've never introduced Fluxx to any family or friends that didn't think it was fun.

Ditto. Great game, especially for people who have never played anything off the beaten track of ordinary family fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's a fine game for the family, and that playing with them is also probably helpful.

At Origins this year I was doing a shift in the Looney Labs booth, and a middle-aged couple was asking me about Fluxx as a gift for their grandson, age 9 I think. I told them: a) since they said he was precocious, he would have no trouble picking up the game; b) they should pick a theme that would appeal to him the most. Any version is fun, but if Zombies or Martians or Monty Python would appeal to him, he'd probably enjoy that even more. I think they ended up getting him Zombie Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
I have teenage family members that ask to play Fluxx when they visit. I have given them their own copy, but they usually only have younger siblings to play against, and they still want to play when they visit here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't played on Christmas Day, but my sister was suitably impressed by the gift. I was rather pleasantly surprised at her response.

It'll be interesting to hear if she has any opinion on the game a few months down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Both my children, ages 9 & 7, play regular Fluxx just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Family as well as Zombie,Martian,Monty,Eco,and vanilla. The kids play all of these at 7 so I think your ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.