Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
What's the value of a pristine unpunched copy of Avalon Hill's Machiavelli (2nd ed.)?
I've found a copy for 145 $ but... it's a LOT OF MONEY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we weren't so far apart, I'd trade or sell mine to you for considerably less. It is still mint, but it has been carefully punched and bagged but never played. I am having trouble figuring out the dollar value as well, as the selling prices fluctuate from about $50-150 in auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Parker
United Kingdom
Newbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As a matter of interests are first editions worth more? I have a played but good condition copy from 1985 that I might be tempted to sell if the price is right. Mind you, I'm in the UK, so it probably doesn't help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel "Cahwyguy" Faigin
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to worth, but if you like Diplomacy, it is a damn good game. I've got a wall-map version on my office wall next to me as we speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold an unpunched mint third edition copy on ebay last December for $132 chances are you can score one for less especially if it's punched out. Also, look for copies that don't have the words Avalon Hill or AH in the auction listing on Ebay and chances are you could score one for $60 or less if your patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Mmm... considering that I don't use Ebay, I've come across 2 italian guy the offered me Machiavelli.
One is 100% unpunched, in pristine condition, for 80 euro.
The other is punched, but in near mint condition, for 70 euro.
Are these prices (90-100$) foolish for this game? I never played Diplomacy, but I like the idea of interaction, roleplay, etc. Is it very complex? Will it retain/gain value in years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Abbott
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LuZa wrote:
Mmm... considering that I don't use Ebay, I've come across 2 italian guy the offered me Machiavelli.
Are these prices (90-100$) foolish for this game? I never played Diplomacy, but I like the idea of interaction, roleplay, etc. Is it very complex? Will it retain/gain value in years?

Machiavelli has NO role-playing - it's just a variation on the boardgame Diplomacy set during the Italian Rennaisance. It's a little more complicated that Diplomacy since it has an economic system, and some of the pieces have different values. How complicated you find it depends upon what you are used to playing - as Wargames go it's not particularily complicated, as Euro games go it's pretty complicated. Plus it takes a long time to play (4+ hours) and require a LOT of players to work properly (5-7).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Patch1413 wrote:
LuZa wrote:

Machiavelli has NO role-playing - it's just a variation on the boardgame Diplomacy set during the Italian Rennaisance. It's a little more complicated that Diplomacy since it has an economic system, and some of the pieces have different values. How complicated you find it depends upon what you are used to playing - as Wargames go it's not particularily complicated, as Euro games go it's pretty complicated. Plus it takes a long time to play (4+ hours) and require a LOT of players to work properly (5-7).

Thanks for the insight. I've never played Diplomacy so I don't know. But is Machiavelli worth (in mint/punched condition, 2nd edition) 60 euro, for collecting's sake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.