Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The best resource for your custom questions is probably heroscapers.com

The short answer is that there are hundreds of customs there and I'm sure many of your D&D minis will be covered (in fact, the last 3 sets have reused D&D sculpts).

As for expansions, I think the best value for dollar is probably Road to the Forgotten Forest. It comes with pine trees, road sections, and a bridge. Rarely do I make a map that doesn't use at least one of those elements and often all three.

After that one, I'm not as certain of their added value. The castle is certainly a lot of fun and can work, but balanced scenarios are harder to create. The Ticalla Jungle is, I think, way too expensive these days for what you get - it's out of print and in high demand. The Volcarren Wastelands and Thanak Tundra are both intersing, but I don't think either of them is mandatory.

As for figures, you just have to pick what you like. You can still find quite a few on coolstuffinc.com at a reasonable price. You can also shop ebay.

Welcome to the addiction !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that´s so cheap, it kind of doesn´t feel right for what you get...but I congratulate you to your excellent find!

Go right here for D&D Minis and Heroscape:
www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=70
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say your best bet for a first expansion would be to buy the Swarm of the Marro Master set. Still quite easy to find at reasonable prices and includes a lot of new figures and terrain. Then I would second the recommendation for the Road to the forgotten forest. In fact I would say get 2. After that I would focus on figure expansions and frankly that is a matter of what is available and what interests you. You can't go wrong if you follow those criteria.
Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy whatever you can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of threads from HeroScapers.com would be worth perusing:

Collection Guide
Collection Guide 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolstuffinc.com

has a large selection and good prices. Dont know if they ship overseas though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
Buy whatever you can find.

I agree with Seth!

One of the very best buys as well as best units is the first wave, Malliddon's Prophecy. It is still available as I type this as a reissue. Buy at least three entire sets if you can (you can resell the two extra hero packs later to someone else if you don't use them).

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/15155/heroscape-...

But anything you find you should buy now, before it is gone. Yes, you can use any Heroscape set with each other with very minor rule configuring.

Definetly get those Wave One sets while you can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
One of the very best buys as well as best units is the first wave, Malliddon's Prophecy.

Definitely. It's got great units with fun flavor and it works beautifully with the Rise set. If I had to live with only a very small Scape collection, I think I could get by with Rise, a couple of copies of Waves One and Two, and a small handful of terrain expansions. There's plenty of great stuff in the other waves as well, but the first two were exceptionally well done and create a lot of interesting options for army building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Every most important thing has been hit already but I wanted to add this... buy whatever expansions you can find at big retailers online like amazon.com. Last I looked they still had a few large figure expansions left at reasonable prices. Also, take a look at housemousegames.com where there's still some stock left for sale.

Lastly, before it's too late go to HS Codex and download all the issues, there's some really good stuff in there (AND FOR FREE!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still get the castle sets for pretty cheap ($13 at coolstuffinc). It has a lot of pieces compared to the other expansion sets and you can use the tiles that go on top of the castles for roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dodson
United States
Mount Joy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Heroscape, fellow newbie! I only recently got into it as well, and it is VERY easy to fall into your newfound money sinkhole.

So far I've found that having 2x Master Set 1: Rise of the Valkyrie, 2x Master Set 2: Swarm of the Marrow, 1x Marvel Heroscape (the amount terrain sucks, but the figures are awesome), and 2x Rise of the Archkyrie (a.k.a. "The Castle Set") is PLENTY of terrain for almost any map you'll want to make. I'm hoping to get at least one of Master Set 3: Battle of the Underdark for Christmas, because of the new figures and new terrain included. (I'll probably buy another for myself after the holidays. It's cheap on Amazon, around $25 right now.)

Sadly, the "extra" terrain sets (jungle, tundra, lava, and road) are CRAZY expensive now that the game's been cancelled. I was lucky and scored a complete Ticalla Jungle set in a collection I bought, which goes by it self for $50 - $60 online. You can easily subsitute the wallwalk tiles from the castle set for roads if you have two of them, and a really smart use for the Marvel-specific (concrete and asphalt) terran is to use it in place of Snow and Lava tiles.

I recommend scoring as many packs of new figures as you can when you find them for retail price or cheaper. I bought a complete set of Wave 8 when Hasbrotoystore.com was selling them for $3 a pack, and I buy new packs from FLGS' whenever I see them availible. I also got a few waves in a collection, and I'll be getting a case of Wave 1 for Xmas this year (due to my GF being amazing!)

Speaking of collections, check Craigslist and eBay for people selling their collections. You can get a huge amount of terrain and figures that way, and save a big of money on buying individual packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Jones
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in the same boat as the OP. My brother and I came up with a list of things we wanted in a game not too long ago (Pre-painted minis, movement by squares or hexes instead of tape measure, no blind boosters, etc... ) and it turned out Heroscape fit our list to a tee.

Like others on here have said, heroscapers.com is your best bet for finding information. As far as buying more product, HouseMouse is great, and has some stuff on sale now, and will put up a larger sale over Christmas. The stuff that is still easy to find :

Master set 2 and 3.
Rise of the ArchKyrie (The castle one)
Waves 1, 8, 10, 11-13 (D1-D3)
Orm's Return

Of that, the Wave 10 stuff is great, since you can pick up Deathreavers (Mecho-rats) and Blastatrons. (Though the other half of the tron army, the Gladiatrons, are pretty tough to find.)

In wave 8 the 10th Regiment of foot is a pretty great common squad to pick up multiples of, and the Elf heroes fit into a pretty neat Elf army that isn't too expensive to put together.

Of the D1 - D3 packs, I'm a big fan of the different colored wyrmlings, as well as the Warforged soldiers and the phantom knights.

Also, sometimes you can still find wave 7 a little cheaper than some of the other older waves, and the Heroes of Elswin pack is a pretty good one to have. The vampires are fun to play, and Isamu is the best 10 pt figure in the game, bar none.

It's kind of sad that the game is never going to see new figures, but like others have said, the custom figs that people come up with using DnD minis are sometimes good quality, and at the end of the day having a good collection of figures presents you with a lot of options for playing this game for a long time to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to purchase HS without spending all sorts of money would be to buy in bulk. Find an Ebay lot with lots of official expansions. All of the expansions of the game offer new and interesting game play.

Because the game is out of print and becoming a collectors item, avoid paying the money for "in the wrap" new items online. Just get what you can get and enjoy! It is one of the best games out in the last decade imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House Mouse Games had a pretty good Black Friday sale and they are planning a Christmas Sale as well.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33887

Their site does indicate international shipping

There are often threads of folks selling their collections at heroscapers.com as well. Not sure if any are in your country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janus19390 wrote:
House Mouse Games had a pretty good Black Friday sale and they are planning a Christmas Sale as well.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33887

Their site does indicate international shipping

There are often threads of folks selling their collections at heroscapers.com as well. Not sure if any are in your country.

HouseMouse also organizes everything by waves so you can see what you are missing and how it fits together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to second the eBay route as long as you can control your spending whistle

Sometimes you will luck out if you buy lots and there will be OOP expansions mixed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.playitgamecenter.com/index.php/catalogsearch/resu...

Some of the items in this hobby store's current Heroscape sale are as cheap as you'll find anywhere (short of housemousegames.com's special sales) and they ship internationally. They have Wave 1 here and the mantra of "See 'scape, buy 'scape" is now more true than ever before.

I knew the game would be a money pit when I first started getting into it this past year, but it becomes even more so if you cross over into the competitive scene and you start practicing "Metascape" when trying to field the best army possible, or you need the flexibility to counter your opponent's army in a draft format, which is part of the game's original design intent. Then it becomes more "Squadscape" than Heroscape. The expense adds up trying to track down multiple squads of what are currently considered to be some of the more highly rated units: Zombies, Knights of Weston, Heavy Gruts, etc. But the recent DnD wave releases have some common squads among them that are initially perceived as being pretty effective as well, so get them now while it's cost effective to do so.

Also, as an Ebay alternative, I've found Auggie's games to often have a great selection when I'm trying to look for specific heroes or squads or terrain and I'm not wanting to buy an entire wave or set, etc.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/StoreFront

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome...devil...Bwahahahahaha.

You will have this infection forever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dodson
United States
Mount Joy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
earthboot wrote:
I'm probably going to track down the 'Marro' set, but then again, I've just noticed that there's a Marvel set as well...which would be very cool.

The Marvel set is dirt cheap on eBay, because it's not used my many hardcore Heroscape players. Still a must buy though, sometimes it's awesome to have Spider-man and Venom put aside their differences to fight some samurai and ninjas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Forbes
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm new as well- in fact I haven't played the game yet - but it's sitting under the tree and I look forward to opening it on Christmas.

After finding a great deal on here for a Marvel set and a ton of terrain, I went to Auggies games and found a ton of cheap individual characters.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/StoreFront

The terrain wasn't too poorly priced either. I spent around $30 and ended up with about 35-40 characters. Many of the characters are $0.50 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Barlow
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: The D&D Master Set is currently $15 new at Amazon.
I second the 'buy used / eBay' thought - you can pick and choose, but as others have said, big lots are better, and you'll want them all eventually, anyway.

If you're into non-official stuff, check out the C3G stuff at heroscapers.net , then go buy a bunch of HeroClix minis from trollandtoad and print out the custom unit cards. The C3G stuff has been massively playtested, and is by far the cheapest way to up your HS collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grady
United States
Oak Ridge
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I unfortunately have fallen into the exact same trap as you...I've had the RotV set sitting on my shelf for about a year now (bought for $5 at Kmart...they had about 3-4 for that price at the time, but I bought one), just pulled it out over the holidays and fell in love with it. Of course it's after I've seen tons of clearance sales for the other master sets and never thought twice, and now I can't find it anywhere!

Even if my wife isn't a huge fan, I feel like this is something my kids may want to play with one day, so I'm scrambling to at least get one copy of each master set minimum.

Multicron wrote:
Note: The D&D Master Set is currently $15 new at Amazon.
I second the 'buy used / eBay' thought - you can pick and choose, but as others have said, big lots are better, and you'll want them all eventually, anyway.

If you're into non-official stuff, check out the C3G stuff at heroscapers.net , then go buy a bunch of HeroClix minis from trollandtoad and print out the custom unit cards. The C3G stuff has been massively playtested, and is by far the cheapest way to up your HS collection.

I may be blind, but is all of the C3G stuff superheroes only? I tried finding something with just general more "classic" figures, but every link seems to drive me back to the marvel link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.