Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juman juman
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I am trying to come up with some ideas how to create a hexxagonpattern board to make my own Hexxagon game:

http://www.neave.com/games/hexxagon/

The only idea I have so far is to saw a bunch of hexagonpieces out from wood and glue them to another board and use Othello pieces as gaming pieces. I want the board to look really nice so handrawing the hexagonpattern on a piece of paper is out of the question.

Any other ideas how to make a really nice board for this kind of games?

Cheers,

juman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you have access to a nice printer, there is this webpage that allows you to make Hex graph paper in your choice of dimensions.

http://www.incompetech.com/beta/plainGraphPaper/

Alternately, a Chessex mat works for a variety of hex-based applications. I bought one for game design and general play.

http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_Megamats.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
If weight is not an issue, than you can make an "industrial" themed board by attaching (gluing, tacking, spot welding, etc.) hex nuts to a piece of plywood or sheet metal and then use ball bearings or marbles for your playing pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juman juman
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
This idea I like... have too look into it a bit though if I can find any pieces with the right shape. The weight is not a problem... would like to have it as a coffeetableitem anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juman,

I'm currently designing a game that uses hexes in a tile-laying game. I simply use Word, which has decent drawing elements, including hexagons, which I pull onto a page, duplicate and move to generate a full-page hex sheet, similar (I suspect) to the patterns available on line. My biggest issue is, at least in this incarnation of the game (playtesting, so I'm not too worried about the graphics just yet), is gluing the pages to cardboard and cutting out the hexes. For me squares would be easier, but hexes seem more, I don't know, realistic.

I realize this won't help, but it's fun to write.

Hee, hee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Jones
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
well, if you're looking for something that would lay flat like a flat game board, you could have someone with photoshop, or better yet, 3d studio max come up with the board and you could get a nice print at a local print shop.

i did this with a school project for a board game a few years back.

I'm a 3d artist so i modelled the 'game board' in 3d max, got a high quality poster sized kinko's print, and had it laminated.

then i glued & stapled it to the smooth size of an equal sized piece of masonite that had a fram underneath it to keep it from ever warping (though a small enough piece wont warp anyways. Used some wood to go over the staples, then painted the edges up nice, and went over the whole board with some clear varnish that gave it a nice antiqued effect. it looked pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stanger
Canada
Hagensborg
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm a 3d artist so i modelled the 'game board' in 3d max, got a high quality poster sized kinko's print, and had it laminated.

then i glued & stapled it to the smooth size of an equal sized piece of masonite that had a fram underneath it to keep it from ever warping (though a small enough piece wont warp anyways. Used some wood to go over the staples, then painted the edges up nice, and went over the whole board with some clear varnish that gave it a nice antiqued effect. it looked pretty good.

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of that kicking around your hard drive would you? It sounds great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Webster,

Depending on your printing size: print them out on full sheet sticker labels or use the mounting spray from 3m and coat the back and then mount it.

Hope it helps!!

Jason Henke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
robot I made a prototype of the game Siegestone. I use wood disks that I bought from the crafts store (Hobby Lobby) and glued them to a wood board following the hexagonal pattern of the game. Circles or disk adapt pretty good to hexagonal patterns. I do not know if this is a mathamatical coincidence, but all of the disks are of the same size and surprisinly with seven of them you form a hexagonal pattern;one in the center and the other six around it. Just another idea for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.