Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I received this game and the Cuba: El Presidente expansion from my 2010 Secret Santa and i was anxious to give it a go. I wasn't sure if my two children, ages 9 and 7 could play the game, so I decided to walk them through a couple of turns on Saturday night to see if they could understand the game and play reasonably well.

To my pleasant surprise they both picked up the game quickly. So we stopped playing with the promise that we would play a full game on Sunday.

Prior to playing, I briefly reviewed the rules and talked about the different types of buildings: VPs, income, etc. I felt like everyone understood so away we went.

I went for a cigar strategy. I bought the cigar factory early and maximized my tobacco production to produce cigars. I then added a cigar cafe to turn cigars into victory points. Later on I added a hotel for VPs. I shipped when it was advantageous and to convert produce to VPs without having to store them. I only controlled parliament once as I seldom had much money.

My 9 year old son adopted a Rum strategy. His style was similar to mine in that he bought a rum factory and added a rum cafe. He didn't ship as much as he could but used the market a lot both to buy and sell. He often controlled parliament and generally passed favorable bills for himself.

My daughter went for a Water strategy. She bought the dam then quickly added a golf course. She converted 3-4 waters every turn into VPs. She added the Inn for VPs as well. She loved to buy cheap goods to ship.

My wife dabbled in many strategies, never settling on a particular one. She finally got a good money engine going and was able to manipulate the market to buy a lot of goods and produce to ship. She made a big run at the end but was too slow getting her engine started.

Final Scores: Me 80, Daughter 76, Son 69, Wife 66.

My children really liked this game and I thought they played exceptionally well with virtually no coaching from me. I suspect it will be hitting the table again soon.

Thanks to other BGG posters for the photos used in this report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good write up, this is one of my favorites right now.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Cuba a lot. I have had the expansion for quite a while now, but I have not got around to using it yet. must get to it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.