Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan De Moura
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that I must review this game. I am an avid thrifter and can not walk away from a deal. I have purchased four copies of Scotland Yard and two Shadowlords already. So when I came across this at the local thrift I did my darnedest to try and walk away.It tied in to a franchise, it was a roll and move game, and I already had a copy of Roller coaster Tycoon. No way should I buy this box.

But I made the mistake of opening the box. The components of this game completely blew me away.

First of all the game includes six miniture plastic structures which are to be inset onto the game board. There is a miniature train station and Haunted house and Space Mountain and Mickey's House. Each miniature has a cardboard background which accents the theme of the miniature (there's space behind space mountain).

There are also pewter statues of Mickey and Donald. Totally unnecessary for them to be this lavish but hey, it's Disney!

The game board is big and gorgeous. They spared no expense in creating a beautiful recreation of the Disneyland map (One of the Disneylands at least). And most especially, unlike Roller Coaster Tycoon, the Park is familiar. You know all the rides, you know all the different lands. Downtime in this game is spent strolling down the paths of the park in nostalgic memory lane. It makes a big difference that the board is Disneyland.

Finally there are two dice with stickers and a lot of cards. The cards are pretty standard but they are not cheap. There are attraction cards and event cards. I love kids games that include event cards. Adds that extra level of variety to a usually flat roll and move game. The attraction cards each have a description of the ride they represent. Again the nostalgia factor. My kids just hold the card and say "remember going on that ride!"

OK its fabulous eye candy but will it only be a flashy replacement for a map of Disneyland? Here is where the surprise comes in. The game is actually playable.

Each player is given five attraction cards; one from each section of the park. The goal of the game is to be the first to go to each of these locations and then return to the entrance of the park. Each turn a player rolls a six sided dice and moves.

The variety comes from the fact that there are multiple paths and you have five locations to get to. Which one will you go to first, what path will you take. This would all be pretty dull if you weren't in Disneyland! You know the quickest way to Small World is through Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

Added to this are the event cards. Every time you roll a one or a two you draw one of these cards. They add to your move or send you some where else. Most fun is when they move your opponents pieces. Who hasn't made a mad dash to Matterhorn only to have one of your family members force you to rush off somewhere else?

To counter event cards there are autograph cards. These you get when you run into the pewter statues of Mikey and Donald. These cards add an additional level of decision making for youngsters. When do you use these cards, should you hold off. Should I go to my next ride or go to Mikey for an autograph card. Once you land on a pewter statue you may move it to one of five other spots on the board. This again adds to the decision making.

Having only five destinations makes for a quick game. This will not be a twelve hour sprint through the park.The game will not last more than 45 minutes.

Conclusion. As a souvenir for our last trip to Disneyland, this game would be a success if it just sat on the shelf. Also, the theme of the game creates an immersion factor which hides most of the simplicity of the roll and move mechanic of the game. Adding event cards and light decision making elevates this game above a simple Disneyland trinket. There is actually a game in here.

Who should not get this game: people who are looking for another Power Grid or Caylus. And all people who hate Disneyland.

Who should get this game: If you have little ones who enjoy looking back on a trip to Disneyland, this is the game for you. If you are trying to introduce decision making to youngsters I highly recomend this game. My six year old kept saying, which path should I take, which attraction should I go to first, when should I use my autograph card.

Well I couldn't walk away from this game because of the theme and the game successfully kept me there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this one too and i agree with your conclusions. One of the best roll and move games i have sen to play with the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also bought this game on one of our trips to Disneyland and played it all night with the kids.
Funny thing is that was back on 2005, and we still play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.