Subject: Adventure 3: Klak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christof VO
Belgium
Hamme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yesterday evening, after a long break me and my girl decided on playing a 2-player adventure in Castle Ravenloft. We picked Klak's adventure with my girlfriend playing the Dragonborn Warrior and me going for the ranger, never played that character before so that's why I wanted to pick her. I had my doubts about not going with a healer cleric but we decided to go for it.
The first 2 monsters were 2 gargoyles, which dealt some nasty hits before being killed by us. So after 2 turns the warrior was already down to 2 hp's due to the gargoyles and some bad encounter cards. Luckily things went better after that...the ranger's instant damage skill is just too good to be true on all those 1hp monsters, and we got alot of them. Our experience was seriously stacking up, but we never rolled a 20 to level up throughout the whole adventure.
After encountering the laboratory helding Klak, things started to get nasty real fast. We were both down on 2-3hp and were burning our xp fast to counter a series of really bad encounter cards. So after engaging Klak we were down to 4 xp, my girlfriend uses her ultimate skill to quickly finish off the blazing skeleton that Klak had summoned and picks an encounter that teleports her to the farthest tile possible. We decided to not counter the card as we wanted to save our last xp for when something really really bad would happen.

/Meanwhile our cat jumps on the table and throws little Klak on the ground, under the sofa :-)

After finally getting him from under the sofa, I charge in with my daily power (the one doing 3 damage on hit) but I miss , 1 damage for Klak. Luckily I pick a great encounter allowing me to swithc up a used daily power. Klak on his hand doesnt miss me and kills me. My girlffriend who is quickly coming to me, gets killed by a combination of a spider and a ghoul. We both have used our healing surges. I once again try to go for a fast Klak kill and try my daily again, this time succeeding doing a 3 damage. Klak down to 2 hitpoints. Next turn my GF gets to me and with a combined attack we finish of Klak. Now only the artifact remains, we cancel the spear trap that spawns with out last XP, but It was all in vain. Whilst trying to slay the Artifact with respectively 2 and 3 hp's, a crossbow turret spawns, it shoots. It misses the warrior but it didn't miss me, I try to undo it by using my lucky charm but alas, again a hit that kills me. We lost the adventure with Klad dead and Klak's artifact on 3 hp's.

But again, great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff, Klak makes for a great villain with fun tactics! Played this game tons of times now and still haven't played through the last few adventures yet as the first bunch are so re-playable. Ace game!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoox wrote:
the ranger's instant damage skill is just too good to be true on all those 1hp monsters, and we got alot of them. Our experience was seriously stacking up, but we never rolled a 20 to level up...

and there lies the one drawback of that power: fewer chances to roll a 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still new but the Cleric holds his own quite well. Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a blast! if you play by the rules (as we do), it can be a tough game b/c of the stinking encounter cards lol.

i personally think Klak's mechanics are very clever and well done.

thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this adventure tonight. Two players with one character each. Me playing the dwarven cleric and my friend playing the girl with the bow (ranger?). We got screwed to the max by encounter cards, it went roughly like this:

Encounter: Hero gets attacked 3 times and removed until next hero phase.

Encounter: You take 1 dmg from every treasure card you discard.

Encounter: You take 1 dmg from ending your turn on the same tile as another player (not to helpful when you're playing the cleric).

et cetera. We died fighting Klak, springing traps all over the place chasing him around while trying to murder/avoid monsters appearing as a result of Klak uncovering new tiles.

This particular game left a sour taste in my mouth. The amount of encounter cards dealing hard to avoid/unavoidable damage is no fun at all and monsters dealing damage even when hits fail to connect is not to my liking. The game we played before that was somewhat more fun but the encounters are killing the game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the second and third Encounters you listed are both Environments and you can only have one of them out at a time. I do dislike the "dmg for Treasure discarded", it's a nasty one. But sometimes you get it and have the Ring of Regeneration and just shrug as it has no effect.

What were you using your XP on, if not cancelling Encounters? Not sure why the third Encounter would be bad for a Cleric, I don't think I've used his Aid more than twice total in all the games I've played with him. For Healing Strike it doesn't matter, since that works "within 1 tile".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with cancelling Encounters in this adventure is that the active hero takes a hit every time you do it. I had a similar experience as the OP, having killed Klak, got his artifact down to 3 HP, but a Blazing Skeleton did for my wife. Next time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, I'll take my 1dmg at times vs constant damage per turn (like the dmg for Treasure discarded), especially with the Cleric in the game (presumably has Healing Strike and Healing Word).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I think the second and third Encounters you listed are both Environments and you can only have one of them out at a time. I do dislike the "dmg for Treasure discarded", it's a nasty one. But sometimes you get it and have the Ring of Regeneration and just shrug as it has no effect.

What were you using your XP on, if not cancelling Encounters? Not sure why the third Encounter would be bad for a Cleric, I don't think I've used his Aid more than twice total in all the games I've played with him. For Healing Strike it doesn't matter, since that works "within 1 tile".

Yes they are both environments and one replaced the other so we didn't play it wrong. We used all our exp to cancel encounters but there were so many of them and all of them really bad so we got royally screwed by the game. After last nights game I felt that Ravenloft is ofter so damn random and that the encounters are mostly plain evil, not fun evil, just evil.

We played a game of Warhammer Quest after that and even though we got mauled badly by minotaurs pretty early on and later, after narrowly escaping a cave in, eaten by giant bats it never felt as unfair as the encounters in Ravenloft.

Anyhooo... the game *is* fun sometimes but I find the design somewhat lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.