Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra came out for the first time since I acquired it in a trade this month. I have to agree with the two previously-published reviews here: there's a fascinating little "personality test" wrapped up in a simple game. I played this with three people who were definitely not over-competitive, and all of us got at least a little bit into the theme of "save the world or we all die". Unfortunately, that didn't save us: we lost by having three crises up for Australia, with about 6 cards left in the deck (one of which was another crisis).

My wife was way out in front at the time, having managed to play the last card on each of about half the solved full-blown crises. We just couldn't score any decent amount of points on the "impending" crises; if the player of the card passes in a four-player game, odds are the second player is looking at a bad choice: play a high-powered card and scare off everyone else, or play a low-powered card and lose it when the crisis is not solved immediately.

There was also a bit of frustration: if you played out a couple of cards on full-blown crises, you emptied your hand, and likely would be out of the game for a while until you could draw up more cards (certainly you wouldn't be playing any sets soon). And for what gain? Playing a 4+ card on an "empty" crisis in the middle of the board is a no-gain proposition. You need at least two, possibly three or four more cards to solve it. If you are holding those cards, you can hope to "edge up" to a solution over the next several turns ... but it's just as likely that someone else could steal it away from you on the next-to-last round.

I have a few ideas I'd like to try; I'm going to post them in a separate article so they're easier to spot than buried here in a session report.

After playing, I rated this a "7" for the interesting situation it sets up for you with first-time players. But the second time with the same group, you need some "advanced" rules, else there won't be a lot of interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.