Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody, as the title suggest, I'm looking for a war game that has little to no luck involved. I honestly don't really care about the time period or scale. I'd also like something that is self contained and requires little to no additions (I'm not buying a bunch of extra crap after the initial purchase).

I realize that all combat and warfare has an element of luck involved, but I've got a buddy of mine that can't roll dice to save his life. If he needs high numbers, he rolls low, if he needs low numbers, he rolls high. This is only compounded that for some reason (equally as odd) I "roll well" 90-95% of the time. He has actually flat out called it my super-power.

We both enjoy games that take luck out of the equation, and it's fun for us to battle it out brain to brain as opposed to letting dice or another random element foil the best laid plans.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard recommendation for luckless wargame: Napoleon's Triumph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph might be ideal, if you can get over the learning curve. It has an incredibly tight, brief set of rules that are quite unlike anything I've ever run across before. It will take a couple of plays to internalize the procedures and shift from "How do I do this?" to "When or why should I do this?"

The rules are available on the designer's website if you'd like to peruse them to see if it looks promising.

Edit: beaten by mere seconds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
Hey everybody, as the title suggest, I'm looking for a war game that has little to no luck involved. I honestly don't really care about the time period or scale. I'd also like something that is self contained and requires little to no additions (I'm not buying a bunch of extra crap after the initial purchase).

I realize that all combat and warfare has an element of luck involved, but I've got a buddy of mine that can't roll dice to save his life. If he needs high numbers, he rolls low, if he needs low numbers, he rolls high. This is only compounded that for some reason (equally as odd) I "roll well" 90-95% of the time. He has actually flat out called it my super-power.

We both enjoy games that take luck out of the equation, and it's fun for us to battle it out brain to brain as opposed to letting dice or another random element foil the best laid plans.

Thanks!

Unless you are using poorly made dice, I very much doubt that you roll well all the time and he rolls poorly all the time. It is more likely to be Confirmation Bias (tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions or hypotheses regardless of whether the information is true.) It's a common issue that all people have to actively fight against. Intelectually we know there's no skill to rolling dice, and thus there's no way someone can roll dice "poorly." But damned if it doesn't seem that way sometimes! Most of the time this is due to confirmation bias (you don't notice/remember the times when the dice go the other way).

But then again the law of large numbers suggests that since there are so many pairs of people throwing dice all over the world, there must be one pair somewhere where luck just favors one person a lot more than the other, but I can't imagine it will go on for much longer

But, to your question:
A Game of Thrones (First Edition) is a war/diplomacy game with no luck. It's best with 5, but is the only one I can think of that would give you what you want.

Imperial and Imperial 2030 are also war like games that also have an economic/diplomacy aspects. Not exactly what you are looking for but the only others I can think of that come close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
...but I've got a buddy of mine that can't roll dice to save his life. If he needs high numbers, he rolls low, if he needs low numbers, he rolls high. This is only compounded that for some reason (equally as odd) I "roll well" 90-95% of the time. He has actually flat out called it my super-power.

If you play long enough, this will even out. I encourage you to chart your rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredmeyer71 wrote:
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
...but I've got a buddy of mine that can't roll dice to save his life. If he needs high numbers, he rolls low, if he needs low numbers, he rolls high. This is only compounded that for some reason (equally as odd) I "roll well" 90-95% of the time. He has actually flat out called it my super-power.

If you play long enough, this will even out. I encourage you to chart your rolls.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
Hey everybody, as the title suggest, I'm looking for a war game that has little to no luck involved. I honestly don't really care about the time period or scale. I'd also like something that is self contained and requires little to no additions

Chess or Shogi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hughes
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
The first suggestion that popped into my head was Chess, but for a more serious suggestion, I'll second A Game of Thrones. The only luck is some decks of cards, and there are no dice. However, it's not a two player game (and isn't great with only three) and there are some nice additions in the first expansion. (The only one I consider necessary are the port rules, which you can just house-rule in yourself without buying the expansion. Another optional rule mitigates the luck of the decks further as well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Go
I would call this game a perfect fit.
No luck, all skill. (well unless the person you play is not paying attention)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Antike Is a good game, that is kinda war like, but hinges more on resouce management + postioning rather than combat.No dice no cards, nothing random other than starting locations.

Another similar game is Imperial or the sequal Imperial 2030. Little more combat. No dice no cards, nothing random other than starting locations.

Your question did make me think of the response of Professional Poker players to the question of poker being about luck. Which was "not the way we play poker, if you think it's about luck come down and play us, and bring cash."

But then again I like some randomness in games which is why I'll only play chess if it's "Partners Speed Chess" .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Small World qualify as a wargame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Levesque
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear Diplomacy has no luck involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rutherford
United States
SEATTLE
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish Wars: Advance Tactics has almost no luck (the only dice rolling is for a single bonus damage on each attack) and is completely modular so you can adjust the handicap for the various players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.