Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Wedge:

I find especially interesting this opening for the Romans:

b1-d3 followed with d1-d3 and d3-f5.

It creates a long diagonal wall that impedes the progress of the enemy and put a piece in the fifth row in only 3 moves.

Given the importance of putting pieces in the fourth and fifth rows from the first movement I think is a good way to develop the opening.

The weak point of this opening is the hole left in the d3 cell after the third movement. Therefore the following steps should aim to protect the third line of the enemy with f1-f3 and then a1-a3 or g1-g3 depending on where the enemy is attacking. h1-h3 is another recommended move at this point.

Three stages of the Wedge opening completely deployed by the Roman (ligth) player

After all this you can use the towers in c1 and e1 to generate four new towers in the second and the third row and start attacking from the right side.

Dealing with problems: It is highly unlikely that the enemy allows you to do all the moves planned for this opening. However, this is a very ordered opening, so the enemy attempts to counter it should not damage your defense.

Nevertheless, it is important that the enemy does not put walls on the third row. If that happens it's a good idea to spend some of your towers in order to eliminate those walls.

The Pike:

The best counter for the Wedge opening is simply to take the square f5 in the first two movements.

So if after b1-d3 and d1-d3 we can not do d3-f5 the best alternative is d3-d5, a variant of the Wedge opening called the Pike.

The first 3 moves of the Pike opening deployed by the Roman (ligth) player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your article makes me want to play this game. I need to convince someone to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I've played it a couple of times over the board. It's really good, so I hope you're successful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I use a checkered tablecloth and poker chips at home but while you find someone to play with you can use the playable file hosted here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Sorbet
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wojennik TV - wargame channel on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is one of the best possible Roman openings. Another powerful thing about it is that the wall on f5 blocks a possible movement from the Gaul left corner.

When opposed to an opponent of flesh and blood it is hard to develop your pawns in this manner, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.