Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I sit here trying not to ruin my new PSP by drooling all over it; I have to be the one to say just how fantastically ridiculously supercalafragilististicexpialadociously incredible the system looks and feels. The screen is as good as any plasma I have seen, the system as light as a Nintendo DS, and the games are almost on par with what's on consoles now. I would think of it as a PS2 junior with cleaner lines. For anyone who is going to buy one, test yours in the store. Apparently 1 in 12 have dead pixels (mine had 3 but the one I exchanged for had none. I was only the 2nd of 30 sold to come back.) Sony's official stance is "3 dead pixels in 1 square CENTIMETER". So like I said test it in store, in as little light as possible (otherwise the dead pixels are really only obvious to retards like me ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, the gear rocks....how's the gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 5 games. Twisted Metal (fantastic, and online playable), Lumines (fantastic puzzle game that's a sight to behold), NFS Underground (On par with the original), Darstalkers (faster than any other version I have played including the arcade....and it's the entire trilogy...think a Darkstalkers version of Street Fighter Alpha 3, and did I mention multiplayer?), Tony Hawk UG (it's about 85-90% of what the console version is). All the games have smooth frame rates, and no pop-in. Only Tony and NFS ever have a moment of slow-down, and it's very rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I was hoping you were going to say it sucked. I can just see how little money I'm going to have for gasoline soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my review echoes yours. As I have said in other posts, this is the system to own. I have Wipeout Pure, THUG2, Untold Legends, Ridge Racers, A.I. Go (import), NFSU, NFL Street (still unopened), Lumines, and Darkstalkers.

So far, my top three are Wipeout, THUG2, and Lumines (and Go, if you count imports).

Wipeout is actually better than more recent efforts on console, in my opinion. Killer soundtrack. Controls are great. Everything you want is there.

THUG is packed with most of the features in the full game and I skated for years, so of course, I love this one.

Lumines is addictive and great with headphones. This was the game I played the most from the Japanese launch.

A.I. Go is good, but difficult (which is also good). I've only won three matches so far on the full board.

Untold Legends is a hack 'n slash dungeon romp that is similar to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath. Oh, by the way, the Wi-Fi works extremely well. Two guys at work were playing co-op at either end of a hallway that is like the length of a football field.

Ridge Racer is really good, and that series was over, for me, until this release renewed my interest.

Darkstalkers is a great port, again, packed with features.

NFSU and NFL Street are still unplayed because I'm busy playing everything else. Plus PS2 God of War is outstanding (!) and that takes up some time, as well.

The feeling you get when you play games on the PSP is that you are playing a game, not a "portable game". It has raised the bar so high above other portable systems already and these are only first generation games! It's the business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any early indications of real world battery life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played about 6-8 hours.....mainly games but I did watch 30 minutes of Spiderman 2 on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I got mine today. The guys at the store had to go through three of them before finding one that *appeared* to have no dead pixels or deformations in the screen. When I got it home, however, a nice little Orion's Belt of fried pixels showed up just left of top center. Only distracting against a pure dark background, but Untold Legends seems to have a lot of that as you wander around mindlessly bashing spiders for their random gear. I may have to switch games really soon, or the buyer's remorse could get to me. I will say it was great fun to remember my WEP key and connect with my router from the other room, only to find that no update to the PSP was necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that some people are working to port over FireFox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.