Subject: First Cube Draft - Complete success rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some weeks ago I discovered the cube format on the net and it showed a lot of promise.

So I made a 'power cube', with the best, the most iconics and the most useful cards in Magic.

The cube contained 545 cards from Alpha to Scar.

With three friends, Benji, Ozyree and Toramal, we tested our V1.0 cube.draft

We did that late at night : We began at 1:00AM after doing a Scar draft.

The fun began immediatly upon opening the 'boosters'. Everyone was laughing see all the big cards they got, and the draft began.

I drafted WU flying creature/counterspell.
I was able to get Moat and Magus of the Moat very early and decided to build on this. When some big flying creature (like dragons) came before me, I drafted them to prevent my future opponent from using them.

I got a big problem with my third booster : I opened Library of Alexandria, Maze of Ith, Serra Angel and Worship in it ... with some other very good cards ... After a painful reflexion, I took the Maze.

Semi-final 1 : Hankroyd vs Toramal

Game 1 : Mana screw !
I began with two island, one plain, Moat, Magus of the Moat, Cursed scroll and another big blue card.
Toramal played a RG big creature deck with a splash of white for Land tax and some muticolored cards.
I happyly saw him put his nonflying creatures into play and hit me, while I waited for my second plains ... which never came !
I couldn't do anything and died in shame because I wan't able to get a second plain.

Game 2 : Mana screw !
It was almost the same game, except that I managed to put Veldaken shackles and a lot of islands in play so Toramal didn't dare to put small creatures in play. And finally I get the second plains and put the magus into play, then the Sacred Mesa.
A long, very long game began. I got Capsize in my hand, and I saved my Magus from an urza's rage before being trampled by Borborygmos and a Shivan Wurm, putting me down to 4 life.
Once the Magus back, my capsize was used to return Koth, the hammer to Toramal's hand before it got enough loyalty to use his last ability.
After a while, he changed his strategy and put Chandra Nalaar into play to kill my magus and attack.
At this moment I was happy to have taken the Maze of Ith. It dealed with the Wurm while Borborygmos was capized.
My flying creatures, killed Chandra next turn, and Koth the turn after.

In the end, I casted a Soulslaver and used his Land Tax to see what he got : Nothing to prevent me to win.
So he gave up.

It was 2:30AM and Toramal has to got up at 8:00AM so he leaved, but confirmed he find this format very fun (the fact he got a Black Lotus rather enjoyed him.)

Semi-final 2 : Ozyree VS Benji

Since I was playing I didn't saw a lot of what happened.
Ozyree played 5CC and Benji 4CC (everything except green).
Benji got the multiland and Ozyree 'cheat' cards like Show and Tell, Eureka, and Dream Hall.

Benji got to psycholical advantage early after Ozyree casted his Show and Tell and choose a big Eldrazi ... while Benji choosed ... Man'O-War.
The look on Ozyree's face when cards were revealed was priceless and his 14CMC Eldrazi returned to his hand and never came back into play.
Benji won 2-0 after this.

Final : Hankroyd VS Benji

Game 1 : Benji had only black cards in hand and no swamp, so he couldn't play and died rapidly.

Game 2 : We both began with high costed cards, but Ben has the Mox Sapphire and was able to cast Swan of Bryn-Argol before I was able to counter.
The only way I could deal was to use Mageta, the Lion. But I didn't have the opportunity before being brought down to 4.
Before the Wipeout, I had to counter The Abyss. After Mageta was the only remaining creature, Benji casted Damnation. I could have countered it, but I had easy way to get back creatures, so I kept my last counter for later (preventing the appearance of two Angels via Decree of justice.)
I played Elpeth and after making some token began to gain life again, while he began to go down. After a while, I began to discard my land cards to put 5/5 flying creatures in play and won.

For the 4 players, the games was really a blast. A new way to play Magic, and we can't wait to do that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish my card collection were bigger: I really want to try this and your post just reminds me of the fact. Most of my cards are lost somewhere in my house and I can't find them. Time to start digging!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what is Cube format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Don E wrote:
So, what is Cube format?

There's a pretty good thread about it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Murphy
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love cube draft, I built my cube only about 3 months ago and I draft it a couple times a week usually. Also, it's quite fun even though I don't have a lot of the amazing older cards. I was able to build a decently powerful cube without putting very much money in at all. Definitely a recommend from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin King
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
Gathering since 1995
badge
!!!!Cube!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don E wrote:
So, what is Cube format?

Cube is something that has totally reinvigorated magic around my neck of the woods.

Check out the mtgsalvation cube forums here - http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Or Evan Erwins cube site here - http://www.cubedrafting.com/

- Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love, love, love the Cube. I put my 500-card powered Cube together earlier this year and we're doing our 4th Cube draft on Sunday. Everyone who's drafted it has loved it and has always come back for the next draft.

For any of you "old school" Magic players who miss the game but hate chasing boosters, this is the game you need to be playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.