Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
the Vancouver Sun wrote:
George Ward of Stouffville, Ont., has been in the family business for about 15 years. Following in their father's footsteps, he and his sister are sales representatives for toy manufacturers selling to retailers in Canada. The toy industry, he says, is shrinking and competition is stiff.

"Historically, the target age range for kids in the toy business was newborn to 12," says Mr. Ward. "Today, it's newborn to age six. That's a small window and it has dropped because by age six, kids are on computers and cellphones and video games. Twelve-year-olds today don't want to play with action figures. They are texting their friends. The market is getting so small."

There is a bright spot: board games. Board games represent one of the fastest growing categories within the industry, Mr. Ward says. "Parents want an alternative to video games. They want to do something as a family. Board games can be played by adults, too, so it's on the rise."

That's what got Mr. Ward interested in Syllables, a game developed by his high school friend Mike Ross. Mr. Ward liked the game's concept and took it to the buyer at Scholastic Canada. "I said 'here is the concept of a board game I might get into, what do you think?'" The buyer liked it enough to order 500 games.

"I knew I wasn't going to spend any money before I had sales," Mr. Ward says. "That's one lesson my sales training taught me. On the show you see those inventors who dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into their inventions with nopromise of sales. There was no way I would do that."

His total investment to date for Syllables is $5,000. And he has already managed to find distributors in Canada, Australia and the United States. "From the outset my goal has been to make as much money as I can," Mr. Ward says. "I didn't want a royalty deal. I wanted to find someone who would buy the product from me and then resell it. That made it a little harder as well."

The game has hit the shelves of Borders and Toys R Us USA and is available in Canada at Zellers and Giant Tiger. He has sold more than 30,000 games and broke even in his second year.

Mr. Ward credits much of his success to the game's simplicity. "It's easy to learn. The letters A to Z are on the board. Roll the dice and whatever letter you land on you have to spell a word starting with that letter. The longer the word, the more points you get. Fifty bonus points are awarded for each syllable in the word. We also allow handicapping of winning scores. It's one of the only games where you can have three different skillsets playing at the same time because younger children might need 5,000 points to win where as adults might need 25,000. So it's challenging and fun for everyone."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Success+board+games+sim...

Emphasis mine. I have no problem with making money and I wish Mr. Ward all the best with his business. Success stories are always nice to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmmmm... so this game isn't in the BGG database yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
...and Giant Tiger? Isn't that a clothing outlet store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a large jungle cat. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to the conclusion that the Mass market wants one box to play as many games as possible, and the Niche market wants as many boxes to play one game as possible.

vs

Dominion
Carcassonne
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Mmmmmmm... so this game isn't in the BGG database yet?

Syl-la-bles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ugh, sounds like an awful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
reminds me of a drinking game we used to play in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
reminds me of a drinking game we used to play in college.

More than one very successful mass market game has been refined from a drinking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
the Vancouver Sun wrote:

His total investment to date for Syllables is $5,000.....

He has sold more than 30,000 games and broke even in his second year.

Am I missing something, or does this mean he earned back his $5000 from selling 30,000 copies? That's 6$ per copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:
Am I missing something, or does this mean he earned back his $5000 from selling 30,000 copies? That's 6$ per copy.
Hopefully (for his sake):
the Vancouver Sun wrote:
His total investment to date for Syllables is $5,000...
is only accounting for actual money spent, and:
the Vancouver Sun wrote:

He has sold more than 30,000 games and broke even in his second year.
is accounting for his time and labor, which, should be more of a significant investment that he did not include in his hard costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:

6 copies per $, actually. $6 per copy would actually make sense.

I'm guessing however many copies he sold the second year was only enough to make up the costs of printing those games, and he hasn't started recouping the $5,000 yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds boring and uninteresting. If I was a child and my parent bought that game???????? Wow! I'd rather play Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.