Subject: Home Territory Bidding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abraham Walters
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have yet to play MD, but it seems to me having read the rules that home territory bidding could benefit from allowing players to continue to bid until they pass. Once all players have passed, then bidding ends and home territories are chosen out. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Home Territory Bidding
Just that it would add time to what is basically part of the set-up. Since the players would still not know what starting territory the others wanted, they wouldn't know why someone would increase their bid.

The bids should be low anyway. The example of play has no one bidding more than 10 (the game money is in increments of 5, there are no smaller amounts) and suggest that 15 is a very high bid. Also, since you don't have to increase the bid, and in fact can bid any amount including zero, how would you handle an auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Walters
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Consider it a once-around auction from Modern Art that goes around many times until all players pass. Once a player passes, the bid continues to pass around the table but skips that player. A pass is akin to saying, "This is my bid and I won't bid higher." Home territories are still chosen out in bidding order, but the benefit of such a bidding phase is that it gives all players (especially the first bidding players) the choice to bid in response to all other players. This is not to scrap the original bidding rules, which I think works marvelously well and lends to interesting play and speedy setup, but to provide an opposing bidding mechanism for players like me who don't like to be screwed by some random placement in the bidding order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalaquinn (#461523),
It seems to me that the bidding isn't all that important--which Home Territory you want depends more on your initial card draw:

Destiny Cards:
- Hudson Bay Co.: Probably wants QU as a start. Get $10 for most Canadian provinces and Ontario and Minnesota for a decent Fur payout.
- Louisiana Purchase: Start in LA. Get Western Ho cheap and use the close access to develop in the SW & NW.
- Manifest Detiny: Either VA, PE makes sense the Grain payoff and start in US.
- Remember the Alamo: LA for its access to Texas or QU for its timber Payoff. If you don't get LA, use ability to jump to Texas or N. Mexico is useful. Probably not worth bidding high to get a start area.
- California Gold Rush: Probably best for Mexico with its gold payout. Not worth bidding to grab Mexico since this is the only Destiny Card for Mexico.
- Native Sovereignty: VA would like this for the Tobacco payout if nothing else.

Other payouts on Era 1:
2* Produce
2* Livestock
1 Timber
1 Grain
1 Textile
1 Ore
1 Fur
1 Tobacco
1 Tech
* One fewer payout card if playing with 3 players.

If you get a payout card that works well with your Destiny card (Like a Timber card with Hudson Bay Co.), you might want to bid higher ($10 or $15) to make sure you get your favored spot. Otherwise, Bid low ($5 or $0) and use the money to jump start Expansion or getting a good progression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.