Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Random selection and ROF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafaell Cobra
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random selection:

mechanics is not in an ASLSK rulebook.

We roll dices, one per counter. the highest takes effect, if even then all take one (I suppose this is how it is working in ASL).

Example 1: 3 x MMC rolls random selection for 1KIA. Result is: 3.3.3.
Q: =3 kills?

Example 2: HMG + LMG + MMG shoots prep fire. Roll is Red 5 white 1.
Does all lose ROF or do we randomly select one?

Explanation much appreciated.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1KIA means one counter has been eliminated. So if there are three MMC in one hex, roll one die... 1-2=first counter elim, 3-4=second counter elim, 5-6=third counter elim. SMC and half-squads are included. it is important to note exactly which unit is eliminated even if they are the same type because it could cause SWs to be dropped.

So a SMC and a MMC in one hex...1KIA would be - 1-3=SMC elim, 4-6=MMC elim.

Also note that the other units are broken automatically and can suffer other negative effects as per the IFT chart.

============
The SWs and ROF? all for one and one for all. They all lose ROF in your example. i am still a learner with ASLSK1, but i think that's how it would go. ASL seems to reward spreading your forces out a bit.


hopefully, one of the experts here will chime in... your questions are good ones.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your example 1 would be correct using the random selection rules in the ASLRB, but SK rules only allow one counter to be selected. I don't think it would throw anything off to use the full ASL version of random selection, but I didn't playtest the scenarios, so I'm not sure.

ROF is all or none. In your example of LMG, MMG, and HMG (with ROF numbers of 1, 2, and 3, respectively), here's what would happen on each colored die roll:

1: all MG would keep ROF
2: the MMG and HMG would keep ROF, the LMG would lose it
3: the HMG would keep ROF, the LMG and MMG would lose it
4-6: all MG would lose ROF
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In ASL the term "Random Selection" has a different meaning than, "select randomly".

Why? Because it is ASL.

Dave has summarized it best.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
now i'm a little confused....

one hex has: 1 SMC, 2 MMC, 1 HS+LMG (all unbroken)

They are hit and the IFT result is 2KIA. The chart says "at least" 2 units are eliminated. So to determine which units are eliminated roll one die...

1 = SMC
2 = MMCa
3 = MMCb
4 = HS+LMG
5-6 = roll again.

so say i roll a 2. MMCa is eliminated. Now i have 3 units left and one more to eliminate. so... roll one die again.

1-2 = SMC
3-4 = MMCb
5-6 = HS+LMG

this time i roll a 5. HS is eliminated and the LMG is dropped. This leaves the SMC, MMCb and a dropped SW in the hex. The SMC and MMC are now automatically broken and marked DM. I assumed it said "at least" because already broken units in the stack could potentially be reduced even if i did not roll them specifically in the random selection of which units are eliminated. does this make sense?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaell Cobra
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
Your example 1 would be correct using the random selection rules in the ASLRB, but SK rules only allow one counter to be selected. I don't think it would throw anything off to use the full ASL version of random selection, but I didn't playtest the scenarios, so I'm not sure.

ROF is all or none. In your example of LMG, MMG, and HMG (with ROF numbers of 1, 2, and 3, respectively), here's what would happen on each colored die roll:

1: all MG would keep ROF
2: the MMG and HMG would keep ROF, the LMG would lose it
3: the HMG would keep ROF, the LMG and MMG would lose it
4-6: all MG would lose ROF


Dave, what about ASL random style and ROF? Do you roll in ASL for it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafaell wrote:
Volfield wrote:
Your example 1 would be correct using the random selection rules in the ASLRB, but SK rules only allow one counter to be selected. I don't think it would throw anything off to use the full ASL version of random selection, but I didn't playtest the scenarios, so I'm not sure.

ROF is all or none. In your example of LMG, MMG, and HMG (with ROF numbers of 1, 2, and 3, respectively), here's what would happen on each colored die roll:

1: all MG would keep ROF
2: the MMG and HMG would keep ROF, the LMG would lose it
3: the HMG would keep ROF, the LMG and MMG would lose it
4-6: all MG would lose ROF


Dave, what about ASL random style and ROF? Do you roll in ASL for it?


Nope. ROF is straight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
now i'm a little confused....

one hex has: 1 SMC, 2 MMC, 1 HS+LMG (all unbroken)

They are hit and the IFT result is 2KIA. The chart says "at least" 2 units are eliminated. So to determine which units are eliminated roll one die...

1 = SMC
2 = MMCa
3 = MMCb
4 = HS+LMG
5-6 = roll again.

so say i roll a 2. MMCa is eliminated. Now i have 3 units left and one more to eliminate. so... roll one die again.

1-2 = SMC
3-4 = MMCb
5-6 = HS+LMG

this time i roll a 5. HS is eliminated and the LMG is dropped. This leaves the SMC, MMCb and a dropped SW in the hex. The SMC and MMC are now automatically broken and marked DM. I assumed it said "at least" because already broken units in the stack could potentially be reduced even if i did not roll them specifically in the random selection of which units are eliminated. does this make sense?



Yes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
now i'm a little confused....

one hex has: 1 SMC, 2 MMC, 1 HS+LMG (all unbroken)

They are hit and the IFT result is 2KIA. The chart says "at least" 2 units are eliminated. So to determine which units are eliminated roll one die...

1 = SMC
2 = MMCa
3 = MMCb
4 = HS+LMG
5-6 = roll again.

so say i roll a 2. MMCa is eliminated. Now i have 3 units left and one more to eliminate. so... roll one die again.

1-2 = SMC
3-4 = MMCb
5-6 = HS+LMG

this time i roll a 5. HS is eliminated and the LMG is dropped. This leaves the SMC, MMCb and a dropped SW in the hex. The SMC and MMC are now automatically broken and marked DM. I assumed it said "at least" because already broken units in the stack could potentially be reduced even if i did not roll them specifically in the random selection of which units are eliminated. does this make sense?


This is absolutely correct per ASLSK. Personally, I just teach and use the ASL Random Selection rules, which allows multiple effects if there is a tie for the highest roll. But in your example, there is one more thing to do: roll for weapon destruction! devil 4.0 (3rd paragraph): "SW may also be destroyed when a final IFT DR results in a KIA of the possessing unit. Make a subsequent dr [not DR] on the same column as the IFT attack for each SW possessed by that unit. If the dr is a KIA, that SW is destroyed; if it is a K then that SW is malfunctioned."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.