Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I know it has already been said that the rules aren't online and that descriptions on BGG are sufficient to understand everything... But according to me they aren't sufficient, so please could somebody post that rules? Tkanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You could try buying the game. I understand that it comes with rules in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you have a gaming group near by or a game store near you, you could also ask them if they could show it to you or give you a trial run. I have found that someone else teaching me the game is head and shoulders beyond whatever I could glean from piecing the rules together myself.

Short of that, descriptions here on BGG help, and then, yes, the rules themselves... :-)

Best of luck!

Edit: That said, there may be others here that have access to the rules who could help you as well. Hopefully I didn't sound too flippant in my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that what you get in this expansion are basically just the rules for the four new expansion features and a few gold containers and some cards.

Giving away the rules online would be bad business because you can make those gold containers and summary cards pretty easily if you get your hands on the rules.

I played my homemade version of the expansion based on what information I was able to gather here on BGG for a few months because my FLGS didn't carry this expansion and there were a few things I got wrong and I didn't realize it until I ordered the expansion specially online and got my hands on the official rules.

My point is: do your self a favor and just buy the expansion. IMO it's totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
You could try buying the game. I understand that it comes with rules in the box.

Wrong response! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:

Giving away the rules online would be bad business because you can make those gold containers and summary cards pretty easily if you get your hands on the rules.

Right response!

The fact is that I like container a lot and I think it could be complete owning also the expansion. The problem is the price: 18 Euro! So I'd like to evaluate its rules before buying it.

I don't know why this expansion is different from many other expansions... Whose rules are published...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
af7hqs wrote:
I don't know why this expansion is different from many other expansions... Whose rules are published...

Because the "value" of the expansion is in the rules and not the components. With other games like e.g. Race for the Galaxy or Settlers the value in their expansions is in the components accompanied with the rules of course.

It would be nice if Valley Games would just give the rules away for free to people that love Container like Table Star Games did with Wealth of Nations. But hey, IT is a business after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
af7hqs wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Wrong response! :gulp:

No, correct response. You are merely being presented with a choice you'd rather not make. That's hardly my problem or a significant problem for the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
af7hqs wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Wrong response! gulp

No, correct response. You are merely being presented with a choice you'd rather not make. That's hardly my problem or a significant problem for the publisher.

Yes, that's ok. I undertand that it's all a business, but if it's so easy to build an homemade version, I begin thinking that it's simply a "piece of paper" this expansion... So why spending 18 euro simply for a rulebook of 7 pages!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Because as with any other game, the primary thing you are buying is the intellectual property. The actual bits,boards, paper, cardboard etc almost irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
af7hqs wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Wrong response! gulp

It was neither the correct or incorrect response - it was simply a rude response.

Most games benefit from the public availability of the rules. The Container expansion is an exception because too much of the value of the product is the actual rulebook. If you like Container, you will most likely enjoy the expansion as well. Previewing the rules should be unnecessary because whether you buy the expansion will more likely be based on whether you enjoy the base game enough to expand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ward wrote:
Most games benefit from the public availability of the rules.

While that's the common wisdom, I've not seen more than anecdotes that it links directly against sales volume or market strength for a game. Meanwhile the publishers are in a much better position than we are to make informed decisions as to the distribution of their published materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Ward wrote:
Most games benefit from the public availability of the rules.

While that's the common wisdom, I've not seen more than anecdotes that it links directly against sales volume or market strength for a game. Meanwhile the publishers are in a much better position than we are to make informed decisions as to the distribution of their published materials.

Yes, and many games have had their rules made publicly available by their publishers. You may disagree, and that is fine, but the "publishers are in a much better position" to decide that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ward wrote:
Yes, and many games have had their rules made publicly available by their publishers. You may disagree, and that is fine, but the "publishers are in a much better position" to decide that.

Including those publishers that don't make their game's rules available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems pretty clear to me that good games benefit from having their rules online (as people who are undecided read the rules and are more likely to decide they want the game) and bad games suffer from having their rules online (as people who are undecided read the rules and are more likely to decide they don't want the game).

But I agree that if it's trivially easy to make the components, then there is the risk that people will not buy a good game and simply use the rules that were online.

As for this particular expansion: I like it, especially the player loan rules/cards. I agree 18 EUR would be a lot to pay for it if you only play a few times. It depends how much you expect to get it to the table. The usual calculus of cost vs time spent enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
russ wrote:
It seems pretty clear to me that good games benefit from having their rules online (as people who are undecided read the rules and are more likely to decide they want the game) and bad games suffer from having their rules online (as people who are undecided read the rules and are more likely to decide they don't want the game).

While that makes sense, I suspect that the effect is minuscule to non-existent on a publisher's bottom line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
russ wrote:

While that makes sense, I suspect that the effect is minuscule to non-existent on a publisher's bottom line.

I don't know how much of an effect it has. Given that it's pretty easy to make rules available, even if the effect is small, it's arguably worth doing (low hanging fruit).

I also suspect that the effect is increasing as the practice becomes more and more common, so more and more consumers expect it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
If it helps, I don't think the expansion is worth 18 euros.

Yes, it helps. I won't buy it. I'll save money and thinks to German Railways for example...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
russ wrote:

But I agree that if it's trivially easy to make the components, then there is the risk that people will not buy a good game and simply use the rules that were online.

As for this particular expansion: I like it, especially the player loan rules/cards. I agree 18 EUR would be a lot to pay for it if you only play a few times. It depends how much you expect to get it to the table. The usual calculus of cost vs time spent enjoying the game.

Slightly off topic, but it's online rules also leads players preview the rules before game night for the new games so you can get right to playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

While this should be true, my base game of Container did not come with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.