Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice look poor, just like the original C&C:A ones. So does anyone know if they can be substituted with the Valley Games ones for C&C:A? The only way I can imagine this wouldn't work is if the C&C:N dice are not identical.

Thanks,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
The dice look poor, just like the original C&C:A ones. So does anyone know if they can be substituted with the Valley Games ones for C&C:A? The only way I can imagine this wouldn't work is if the C&C:N dice are not identical.

Thanks,

Matt...

I've not handled the CNN dice yet so I can't speak to the quality but CCN dice symbolism is very different. Each die has 2 Blue Infantry symbols, 1 Yellow Cavalry Symbol, 1 Red Artillery Symbol, 1 Crossed Sword symbol and 1 Flag symbol.

The new Battle Cry dice would work, the symbols are distributed the same as CCN but they aren't in color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just take regular D6s and color-key the spots? Lots of D6s have very deep recesses (which is not the greatest thing, as it unbalances the die) that could be filled in with paint--such as Blue for Infantry, Red for Artillery (use the 1-spot--cannonball), Yellow for Cavalry (or Green, for Dragoons). Use the "5" for "Crossed Sabers" and whatever's left can be the Flag (paint the spots "white" for a white flag if you like).

I have a copy of Richard Borg's original "Commands & Colors" game (which consisted of a rule/scenario book, a black-and-white card deck, blank white dice and a sheet of stickers.

Richard used black silhouettes for infantry, artillery, and cavalry on a colored arm-of-service background, an image of crossed sabers on black background,, and a black-outlined white flag with white background on his stickers.

They were very fast to use as the color, not the symbol, identify the "up" die face.

Easily replicated with surplus inexpensive D6s; make a set for each player and you speed things up even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed, while these dice look the same as the old C&C:A dice, they are a bit smaller and 'feel' better in your hand. They are a bit heavier I think. They are not ideal, but they do work. You could also just buy some blank counting cubes, which are basically blank dice and put the stickers on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had any problem with the indented dice and think the new are a step up. The best dice to date are found in the new edition of Battle Cry. And they carry the same symbol set of faces as the C&C:N dice (though no colors). If there were any way to purchase spares of those, I would. The Valley Dice are nice and I even have some sets for those that like to use them so much. But I'm really not a fan of wooden dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:

Thanks,

Matt...

I think they are the same as the 2nd edition dice from Ancients. My complaint is the stickers are just a hair bigger than the recess on the dice. Otherwise, the dice are adequate. They are solid and very substantial feeling.

I do hope that Valley, or someone else does better dice we can buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe some enterprising soul will try to get together an order to get some custom dice made? I know you can order with one side of a d6 printed with a special symbol and I also remember reading someone created dice which were blank and then had one, two, or three sides with a symbol, depending on what was needed.

See this image's comments and some of the threads it links:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/551585/arkham-horror

I'd likely be willing to order some, unless the price was insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming enough people chimed in to order 20 sets of custom dice from Chessex (5 per set), each set would cost $18 + shipping.

Kind of dear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Assuming enough people chimed in to order 20 sets of custom dice from Chessex (5 per set), each set would cost $18 + shipping.

Kind of dear.

That's 100 dice. What would the price break be for more? I would like 10 dice and might even get 15 if the price were right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a whole lot better. If you buy 500 dice it is $.42 a side I think, which comes out to $2.52 per die, which is only saving roughly $1 per die over just buying 100 dice. Getting enough people to buy 500 dice and getting somebody to front $1260 to do it would be an impossibility I am afraid.

200-499 dice is .50 a side, so saving $.48 per die over 100.

Any way you cut it I don't think it is worth it, especially for the person having to coordinate, front the money and ship all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend holding off on purchasing custom dice.

Valley is planning on releasing a set of wooden dice similar to the Ancients dice specific for the Napoleonics game. They are just waiting on final proofs before entering production and will most likely be available early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could buy eight Battle Cry dice from a vendor and get a brand new C&C:ACW game with 'em for free! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I think they are the same as the 2nd edition dice from Ancients.

Have you actually seen them, in person, and compared?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Have you actually seen them, in person, and compared?

I just compared them and they are similar, but the CCN dice are a little smaller than the CCA dice and aren't as square, which is why I suspect the stickers do not fit as well on the CCN dice as they did on the CCA dice.

So, they are a lesser quality than the 2nd edition dice, though better than the CCA 1st edition dice (though at least the stickers fit those dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Brown
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the dice that are included.They are a step up over the Anceints dice. I like them because they are heavy. My experience with the Vally wood dice are that seem too light.YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I would recommend holding off on purchasing custom dice.

Valley is planning on releasing a set of wooden dice similar to the Ancients dice specific for the Napoleonics game. They are just waiting on final proofs before entering production and will most likely be available early next year.

I hope they will be doing those kind of dice, Brian! We have the CC:A wooden dice from Valley too and they are way better than the dice coming with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Larsen
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the CCNAP dice except they are a little too large for my dice tower and clog up once in a while.

We use regular dice

1 - Infantry
2 - Flag
3 - Cav
4 - Art
5 - Sabre
6 - Infantry

Perhaps not as pretty but it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.