Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
A fantasy themed light war game designed by Moon and Borg sounded like a game that I would really, really like.

I bought Warriors along with the Dragon Hordes expansion the first day it hit my flgs. I read the well-written rules and was quickly playing the game with my three sons: 14, 6, and 4.

Warriors was a huge hit. This game is just the thing my family enjoys. My 6 year old said that he wished there was an 11 so that he could rate the game an 11 instead of a 10.

I am making a prediction that there will be a lot said about the role of luck in the game. First, the card drawing has a profound affect on the game, and then Risk-like die rolls resolve all battles. We are usually more tolerant of the amount of luck in a game than the average gamer, and we actually enjoyed it, but a large amount of luck is present.

There is one major negative with this game: The expansion. The dragons are a great addition to the game, and that's the problem: they should have been included with the original game. What do you get in the expansion box? A plastic insert holding a few cards. That's it. Oh, and the rules for dragons.

The choice to sell a few cards as an expansion is just blatantly greedy, and seems to highlight a disturbing trend. You will feel ripped-off when you open the expansion box. This whole marketing idea is just pathetic, and I hope it ends, but I am afraid that it will only get worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:First impressions
Sky Knight X (#461064),

After a couple more games...

Card shuffling is a problem. There are too many cards to shuffle all at once (with the expansion), and they do not shuffle well. Players need to shuffle before the game, after the initial set-up, and after round 2. That's a lot of shuffling.

Oddities:
Dragon flames are not used to attack, but to protect the dragon from hits.

Catapults are used to take out single individuals.

Again, we had a blast with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.