Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It sounds like a "well known" but un-named company has picked up the right for Star Wars games.

However, I am sure many will find it intriguing that the licence covers card games, RPGs, and… miniatures. Now, the company concerned is not known for its miniatures lines...

Via Tabletop Gaming News and Planet Mongoose

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/12/14/41974#comments
http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/index.php?blog=2&title=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars LCG? (Here's hoping)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The commenters seem pretty convinced that it's FFG. Here's hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please please please somebody bring back SW:CCG (or LCG, now) so that I can find opponents for all my cards...

SW:CCG is definitely my most favorite game I'll probably never get to play again, despite owning lots of cards... no opponents...

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope we get a good Star Wars space combat game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Gambit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition - Star Wars Edition! C'mon, a real strategic military-political epic game set in the Original Trilogy universe! One of the true grails of the boardgaming (and video gaming) world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition - Star Wars Edition! C'mon, a real strategic military-political epic game set in the Original Trilogy universe! One of the true grails of the boardgaming (and video gaming) world.

I'd buy that!(with some new content)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
Mundane wrote:
I hope we get a good Star Wars space combat game.

Especially one with capital ships, like Leviathan!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gagnon
msg tools
Diis wrote:
SW:CCG is definitely my most favorite game I'll probably never get to play again, despite owning lots of cards... no opponents..

You can always build decks for other people to play. I'm treating all of the collectible games I've picked up as complete games and either building decks for others to use or using random distributions of cards to get the games going. It takes the sting out of others investing in the collectibile game. I'm playing them as boxed versions with me supplying the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Hmmm..... There's so much awesome stuff that FFG could crank out in a short time if it got the liscense for Star Wars. Like someone mentioned, the Star Wars edition of Twilight Imperium would be quite fantastic (in fact, they could just buy most of the stuff from the guy who made a no-longer available here fan conversion....). I also wouldn't mind seeing a Clone Wars redux of the BattleLore system. How about a Star Wars theming on some Tannhauser ruleset? Descent could get recast as a game about a capital ship boarding party.

Of course, the real gems would be what they can come up with exclusively for the liscense - after the treatment Corey K. gave to Battlestar Galactica, which I feel may be the best tie-in of third party IP and game mechanics - I'm confident they could make something great.

On the other hand, I'd just be happy for anyone to start putting stuff out again. Here's hoping for an announcement soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Guys-
The company involved doesn't make miniatures.

FFG, with Nexus, DOES. You know, those Wings of War planes? The Descent Miniatures that they make for the Lieutenants and evil bosses in Road to Legend?

I'm not saying that I know WHO it is, but I'd be surprised if it was FFG.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
NO NO NO! - "They plan on taking the series in a different direction, with a report of "Nothing but Ewoks" in a dice-rolling adventure with a plan for the future that includes "exciting pod-race action"."* - I don't like the sound of this... soblue

*not an actual quote from anybody

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The same company should also buy up the license to Heroscape and come up with Tatooine tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Guys-

FFG, with Nexus, DOES. You know, those Wings of War planes? The Descent Miniatures that they make for the Lieutenants and evil bosses in Road to Legend?

Darilian

And given the economy, miniatures would be a tough proposition. Is the market already saturated with Star Wars miniatures of various scales and kinds already? I don't know.

I think it could still be FFG, since they aren't known for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miczek
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new Star Wars game should not be a masked game like Hasbro would do for example a Twilight Imperium clone game but should be something new like Queen's Gambit was. Sure it can share other mechanics but the combination of mechanics should be used in a new way that not only honers the Star Wars name but produces a good enough original game to make others. It's tough to keep the Star Wars label because I imagine it is hard to make a profit from.

Just my 2 cents from a Star Wars fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
BradyLS wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Guys-

Darilian

And given the economy, miniatures would be a tough proposition. Is the market already saturated with Star Wars miniatures of various scales and kinds already? I don't know.

Yah, but the guys at Mongoose should (I say, 'should'- they are sometimes a bunch of morons) know that FFG does do miniatures.

But as I said, sometimes they are a bunch of idiots at Mongoose.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
BradyLS wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Guys-

Darilian

Yah, but the guys at Mongoose should (I say, 'should'- they are sometimes a bunch of morons) know that FFG does do miniatures.

Darilian

Who's an idiot?

Read the quote again--"not known for minatures," which is different than saying they don't make minatures at all.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Diis wrote:
Darilian wrote:
BradyLS wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Guys-

Darilian

Darilian

Who's an idiot?

Read the quote again--"not known for minatures," which is different than saying they don't make minatures at all.

Diis

Dude-
The owners of Mongoose Publishing should be well aware of what Fantasy Flight produces, as they are direct competitors with Fantasy Flight Games in a lot of areas. So tone down the passive-aggresive name calling there, boyo.

The fact that Mongoose 'got pretty far in the process' to me, makes it even LESS likely that Fantasy Flight got it- as Mongoose is a pretty TINY company in the game universe. If Mongoose got pretty far, my thoughts are that its another company about the same size Mongoose Publishing. Probably one known predominantly for RPG's. Given that FFG is tied up with so many Games Workshop products and licenses right now, I'm not sure they have the capitalization for it.

Other companies that I would be surprised if they won the Star Wars license include

-Steve Jackson Games
-AEG games
-Battlefront Miniatures

But I could be wrong. Have been before.

But mostly what I'm seeing in this thread is a sense of WANTING FFG to have the license, 'Therefore they HAVE to gotten it'- which is fallacious thinking. Just because some Geeks on BGG think it would be cool for FFG to put down the money doesn't mean they did it....

Saw the same paralogical thinking when Battlefront annouced they might be getting the Star Wars license.

FWVLIW-
I get no hits of any substance when I Google "Fantasy Flight Games, Star Wars, News".

From what little research I've done, my guess would be that Paizo got it. If not them, then MAYBE FFG. And if not them, Palladium. But they're WAAYY down on the list.

But Paizo has made a ton of money with their 3.5 books recently.

EDIT-
Oops! Have confirmation it is NOT Paizo games.

FFG moves up a bit. But then, there are still a lot of other companies, like Savage Worlds and Privateer Press.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to some great Star Wars gaming in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't know why it's such a big secret. Mongoose is right for not spilling the beans, but wrong to tease. All they should have said, if anything, was that they lost the bid to another player—end quote. Why build buzz for something they lost?

I just read on one of the WotC forums that there was speculation back in October by fans that a Russian company might be picking up the license.

I haven't a clue who has has the license, but Zvezda is a big hobby manufacturer in Russia who might have the resources to do a Star Wars license for a variety of toys and gaming products. I think that's a long shot, too, but now I'm thinking further afield for who might have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally prefer a good old fashioned board game over more card and miniature Star Wars games. Hopefully they cover it all.

Though now that I think about it, a deck building Star Wars game would be nice. Can't help it... I like deck builders, and it's of course a strong licensed product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say Rio Grande Games! No, better yet, GMT Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn´t FFG answer, in regards to Heroscape, that they are planning currently up into 2013?
This would mean, if they just aquired the license, we would see no genuine Star Wars game from them before that time, unless they decided to convert a game already in development to Star Wars.

If they aquire the license at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.