Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear hear. I tire of the standard of beginning with the Brits and the resultant Iberian-focused scenarios that must follow from that. Every Napoleonic game system seems to do it. I don't even like Waterloo.
Give me some Austrians, Prussians, or Russians.
(Je grogne!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Hear hear. I tire of the standard of beginning with the Brits and the resultant Iberian-focused scenarios that must follow from that. Every Napoleonic game system seems to do it. I don't even like Waterloo.
Give me some Austrians, Prussians, or Russians.
(Je grogne!)

While I totally agree with the sentiment, it is not EVERY system that starts this way, just the recent spate of simpler (and more playable?) games.

OSG's operational games and the La Bataille series did not start with the Peninsular War.

I wonder how long it will be before C&C or Battles of Napoleon will get continental armies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. An expansion with the Prussians and Austrians in one would open up some spectacular battles.

I was also surprised not to see Fuentes D'Onoro in this first one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if we will get Epic before the Continental Armies. The thing about Corps system Napoleonic Battles is they were not always linear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:
Wonder if we will get Epic before the Continental Armies. The thing about Corps system Napoleonic Battles is they were not always linear.

I'm hoping that the epic boards for C&C:N have linear on one side and "Breakthrough" on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:

I have the C&C Ancients original and #2 Rome vs Barbarians game. I have never played an Epic game. How do they work so that they would show a battle with depth?

BTW...Arsenal is going down in Januaray in the Cup. COYB! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nappy wrote:
I have never played an Epic game. How do they work so that they would show a battle with depth?

Epic battles are wider, not deeper, battlefield-wise.

The C&C:A boards are 2-sided; the "backs" have one border printed with hexes all the way to the edge. Butt 2 boards together side-by-side, and you have an Epic battlefield.

One of the ways in which they simulate depth, I guess, is the use of multiple players. You can have up to 3 "section" commanders and 1 "field" commander. The FC holds the cards & doles them out to the SCs. The FC can also act as an SC.

Our Epic games in my little circle usually involve 6 people, with the FC on each side taking the center section of the extra-wide battlefield.

I have to say, being the FC in an 8-player Epic game is quite a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.