Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
In today's blog over at GameFest (http://www.gamefest.com/news/blog_detail/2298_0_13_0_C/) Patrick says the new gray routes exist "to make sure that the wild cards don’t clog up the available card display too badly."

Every time I've played the original T2R, wild cards were nowhere near stagnant. Are the people I'm playing with (not at all die-hard gamers) just missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you were. Taking a wild card is inefficient, as you get less cards. Of course, if you have to finish a special line on the next turn for some reason, it might be efficient to draw one, or in certain endgames.

Still, in my experience, while one player may occasionally draw a wild card, the display tends to clog up relatively quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
wow. Time for me to make my entry in the "rules you missed" GeekList.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a house rule that you get to draw two cards no matter what. You may end up drawing two wild cards. But we shuffle well, and have found that over time, there's a fairly even distribution -- and the 2 wilds per draw event is quite rare.

It's a simple way to remove that obstacle -- although, granted, it creates another; we've just made our choice as to which we're willing to bear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play TTR regularly with a couple who attend several tourament based boardgaming conventions during the year, and even as efficient as we may play, wild cards go very often throughout the game. I have more often seen the display cleared because 3 showed up versus 2 stagnating the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
We play with a house rule that you get to draw two cards no matter what. You may end up drawing two wild cards. But we shuffle well, and have found that over time, there's a fairly even distribution -- and the 2 wilds per draw event is quite rare.

Do you mean that after taking a face-up wild card, you can take another card - including another face-up wild card? If so, I don't see what the shuffling has to do with it - any time there is a wild card in the display, taking it should be a no-brainer decision.

If you mean that a player getting a wild card from the face-down draw pile gets a second card, then that isn't a house rule - it's in the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Roth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The last few games I've played we had to clear off the cards multiple times because no one wanted to take the wild cards and three or more were out on the board. This was the only problem we had with the game-waiting until another one popped up to clear off the available cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you're supposed to clear after three wilds anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean that after taking a face-up wild card, you can take another card - including another face-up wild card? If so, I don't see what the shuffling has to do with it - any time there is a wild card in the display, taking it should be a no-brainer decision.

If you mean that a player getting a wild card from the face-down draw pile gets a second card, then that isn't a house rule - it's in the rules as written.

I mean that after taking a face-up wild card, you can take another face-up wild card. My shuffling comment was meant to imply that we don't often have two wild cards coming face-up together or even within 3-4 cards of each other, and so getting two face-up wild cards is rare. (Of course it's a no-brainer!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minismurf wrote:
I think you were. Taking a wild card is inefficient, as you get less cards. Of course, if you have to finish a special line on the next turn for some reason, it might be efficient to draw one, or in certain endgames.

Still, in my experience, while one player may occasionally draw a wild card, the display tends to clog up relatively quickly.

When there is no color I'm collecting in the face up cards, I will usually take a wild card if one is available. I find that the random draws mainly tend to remind me that there are indeed 9 colors of cards available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had the wild cards clog the line. What always clogs the line in my games is there being 2 or 3 colors no one wants, so everyone draws from the deck.
Just my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One colour that nobody wants isn't a big problem for me. If there are several of the same colour they will soon go to someone trying to claim a grey route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.