Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Booker Hooker
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the box cover to Dragon Strike this evening and noticed that it said something about an "AdventureVision Game Series". I did a little googling and stumbled upon this:

Apparently TSR had designed the game, made the prototype, and shot the 30 minute movie, but never released the game. Here is a brief description of the game:

Wildspace - Sail the void between planets in your squidship in search of treasure. Evil mind flayers, draconians, and Lord Fear hunt the spaceways trying to stop you. This is the second game in the AdventureVision series. Like Dragon Strike, when Wildspace the video ends, Wildspace the game begins. Watch the half-hour video adventure featuring your heroes in awesome action, then play as a team in exciting fantasy space adventures.

So apparently this used the same 4 heroes from Dragon Strike but set them in the WildSpace setting (similar to Spelljammer I guess?) where they had to fight this Lord Fear to try and regain some gem. The game came with several minis as well as some plastic ships that were 4-6" long! There apparently is (or was at least) 1 copy (the prototype) with a box somewhere. I don't know much about TSR or its RPG settings, but this sounds like an interesting game.

By the way, this was supposed to be released around 1994, so if any of ya'll have old TSR magazines (was it Dragon?) or catalogs you may see an add for this. There were apparently going to be four books written for the game just like there were for Dragon Strike. One book was about Necron the Mummy Queen, the 2nd about Lord Fear, the 3rd about Mind Flayers, and the 4th about Draconians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gonna say, that guy looks like the warrior from Dragon Strike

(which I picked up at a thrift store for a dollar so complete it still had the ads in it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grover 556
msg tools
I've seen ads for this in comic books from 1993. Amazing spiderman or Venom Lethal Protector. I loved Dragon Strike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Brooks
South Africa
Madibeng
North West
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echohawk wrote:

Wow. just wow.

I want an Illithid costume now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That chick was looking pretty good until she turned into a damn snake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Late. But yes. I got a flyer from TSR announcing Wildspace as part of its lineup.

Never knew they actually got the video filmed to some point. Too bad its likely lost forever now.

It does indeed have several of the characters return from Dragonstrike.

One of the notes I got from TSR was that they had been even considering it for a TV series. Seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, there was a map included for Wild Space in addition to a short adventure:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the village idiots in the Spelljammer community were trying to claim that Wildspace was the new Spelljammer. When it was obviously not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Brooks
South Africa
Madibeng
North West
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herman_the_german wrote:
Also see Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, there was a map included for Wild Space in addition to a short adventure:

Curiously, that adventure only appears in that product's "First Quest" guise. In the "Introduction to AD&D" box version, the Wild Space adventure has been edited out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.