Subject: Dice Tower vs. Dice Boot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as the title says - i would like to buy 1 of these, and was wondering what the BGG community had to say about them. any comments are appreciated.

i posted the links as to the specific ones i am thinking about, but if anyone has other suggestions/ comments pls let me know.

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=21...
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_RPG.php?viewType=view%20Rol... Boot: Portable Dice Tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both of those. The big advantage to the boot is it folds flat. It can be tucked inside a game box without too much fuss. It also drops the dice to the table beneath it so to get the dice out the boot can be picked up and moved... no digging around in the tray for dice. I also like the fact it's clear. Other people can see what you rolled. Seems trivial but in my game group we're slightly distrustful. Especially if I'm rolling well. devil The downside of the boot is the dice have a tendency to bounce out the end of the boot. I put a piece of transparency film cut to the dimensions of the end of the boot to keep the dice from jumping out. Also the boot is noisy! People can hear you roll dice a couple of rooms away. Not usually a problem for me... but you may care.

The tower from Blue Panther is pretty cool as well. When I put mine to together I covered the ramps and tray with sticky backed felt to cut down on the noise a bit. This tower is pretty solid and travels well. The tray is a bit deep and I have a bit of a problem getting the dice out of it. It can handle more dice rolled at a time then the boot can.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions, please ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just got the Blue Panther version of the boot - made of laser cut wood and it breaks down. I received mine from Boards and Bits but I think I got the last one they had in stock.

It works great. It's not super loud and can handle around 6 dice without a problem (the most I've tried so far). More dice might be possible but unless you remove the exit ramp edge it's kinda small for games where you're tossing 10+ dice for combat rolls.

It fits together nice, but isn't "solid" due to it's breakdown nature. I eventually plan on building my own dicetower once I get access to the tools, but this little guy is great and super portable for now.

Possible Additions: Adhesive stickers on the outside for decoration. You could paint it too. Felt adhesive inside to reduce the noise even more. Strips of whatever (plastic card, cardboard, etc) on the baffles to make the dice tumble more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted McGinty
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
as the title says - i would like to buy 1 of these, and was wondering what the BGG community had to say about them. any comments are appreciated.

i posted the links as to the specific ones i am thinking about, but if anyone has other suggestions/ comments pls let me know.

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=21...
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_RPG.php?viewType=view%20Rol... Boot: Portable Dice Tower

+1 for the boot. I own two of them, that way they are handy for everybody.
Never used the tower you mention though.

As the previous poster mentioned they can bounce out depending on what surface you are playing on. To solve this I just glued the piece on the end upside down. They no longer bounce out, but it can't be broken down anymore either(I dont carry dice boots around with me so that is not a problem...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.