Subject: Trust Instincts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was reading the latest Exodus update and I was a little puzzled over the new Tactics card - "Trust Instincts"

For those who haven't seen it, the card reads:

Quote:
Skill Check: Add the top 2 cards from the Destiny deck faceup into this skill check (before totaling strength). Resolve Skill Check Abilities on these cards.

Now my question is - are the strength of those cards added to the skill check as well, or is it just that the abilities activate? The phrase "add the top 2 cards... into this skill check" make me think the cards are added into the total strength.

That doesn't seem like a really good deal for the humans, having 4 cards from Destiny in the skill check... Am I just reading this wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's greAt for either side at the right time... If you've been keeping track of destiny and know what the last few cards are. Plus you get them face-up, which can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
It's good in situations where most of the colors are positive...say, the crisis card has yellow, green, and purple as contributing to the check, and someone has played Scientific Research.

Or if you're counting cards from the destiny deck and you have a reasonable guess as to what it contains.

Or maybe you're planning on failing the skill check anyway and you want the destiny deck to refresh faster.

And of course we don't know yet what the other Skill Check abilities for the other colors will be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you're failing and you're hoping for a miracle, and if you don't get one, you haven't lost much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally see myself just playing it for the heck of it when we know that we can't possibly pass (or decided to tank it). Today we had a Crisis we decided to fail (Cylons decided not to play too) and 2 positives worth of 8 came out and the crisis was passed. It was such an awesome moment. >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the very high number skill checks on crisis cards have 4 colours positive on them.

Also, there are ways to look at the top cards of the destiny deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the 0 cards are all skill card effects it might be a way for cylons to sabetouge using positive cards. A lot harder to narrow it down.

They obviously would also have a possible good effect for humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
That doesn't seem like a really good deal for the humans, having 4 cards from Destiny in the skill check... Am I just reading this wrong?

No, you're reading it correctly...humans just have to be smart about when they use it, only doing so when destiny is likely to be positive or when they're truly desperate. With some rough destiny card counting, figuring out the appropriate time to play this shouldn't be too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see... thanks for clearing that up. I suppose it isn't as bad as I first thought, I forgot about the number of crises that have the majority of colors positive.

I know I'll certainly be having some fun with this card as Leoben though whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
No, you're reading it correctly...humans just have to be smart about when they use it, only doing so when destiny is likely to be positive or when they're truly desperate. With some rough destiny card counting, figuring out the appropriate time to play this shouldn't be too hard.

We only started counting Destiny as we got better at the game. This seems to me a nod to that sort of play: as you get more experience with the game you start predicting Destiny better and this card becomes a better tool for you to use, whichever side you're on. If however you're not as sure about things, it's an okay card to try and get a lucky break and/or to drop to cross ships.

BTW has anyone thought about the fact that it could be IN Destiny and thus randomly turn a check into a 3-card Destiny?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukie wrote:

The top 4 cards? The top 2 are already playing in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
pseudotheist wrote:
Lukie wrote:

The top 4 cards? The top 2 are already playing in...

Maybe you play it if you really resent the fact that someone played Guts & Initiative...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think these 0 cards are a great way to increase paranoia.

It's a way to potentially sabotage using colors for the skill check. Makes everyone who added cards looks suspicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about how these "Skill Check" cards work... does that mean the abilities are resolved any time the card shows up in a check? Or is it more of a formalization of text like "Play before cards are added to a skill check?"

To put it another way, with Trust Instincts - do you resolve the ability when you flip the cards and you see that someone has added this card to the check? Or, when you're about to total strength, does someone say, "Wait a minute, I'm going to play a TI on this?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjamatic3000 wrote:
do you resolve the ability when you flip the cards and you see that someone has added this card to the check?

Pretty sure this is correct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
msg tools
mb
You scan through the cards and look for any of those little symbols next to the number. They're all resolved when revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Edland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treachery cards for Pegasus have the same symbol, but they are only resolved when it's a reckless skill check. These cards just say skill check:, so they would be similar to treachery cards in how they are resolved but their effect would trigger for every skill check they show up in. Unlike treachery cards, at least the one of these strength 0 skill check: cards we've seen so far does not state a limit of the effect to only one of each type of card in one skill check, so it looks like they could also be cummulative if there are several of the same card. If this is the case, if 2 trust instinct cards show up in the same skill check - four additional cards from destiny (in addition to the regular 2) would be added, which would make for quite unpredictable results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be only one Trust Instincts card. That is yet to be determined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope there's more than one of the 0 cards in the deck... two Exodus cards per skill deck would be a little disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually like to see 2 0's per deck, one 6 and some more copies of the original cards added to help even out the numbers again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could get sneaky and have multiple different 0s in each deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt they'll have only one zero in each deck, but much more than two and you run a high risk of drawing a hand of zeros and ones, which I highly doubt their testing found fun. Different zeros in the same deck sounds interesting, but somewhat unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nasty wording...

It says skill check abilities...

This "abilities" (to me) implies the TEXT not the points values of the two flipped cards - i.e. it may only affect:
Scientific research, Guts and initiative, investigatve committee, at any cost, jury rigged, support the people, plus the treachery effects

For that to make any sense - the Trust Instincts would have to be played intentionally before the skill check - but then that makes no sense because it does it after.

I presume its just "wierd" phrasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is fine. You add to cards to the check, and for clarification it points out you apply any skill check abilities (ones with Skill Check: on them)

I am sure it used to not state that you trigger skill check abilities but I expect it was a common question whether it triggered additional skill check abilities if they came from destiny.

Obviously the numbers are added to the check because you add them before totaling the skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mehlindi wrote:
Nasty wording...

It says skill check abilities...

This "abilities" (to me) implies the TEXT not the points values of the two flipped cards - i.e. it may only affect:
Scientific research, Guts and initiative, investigatve committee, at any cost, jury rigged, support the people, plus the treachery effects

For that to make any sense - the Trust Instincts would have to be played intentionally before the skill check - but then that makes no sense because it does it after.

I presume its just "wierd" phrasing.

It won't affect any of the above, as they are not Skill Check abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.