5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Electronic Banking Unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Nash
msg tools
Hi,

I am designing a game which needs an electronic banking unit (not as a replacement for cash though) to keep track of certain things (similar to the Monopoly banking unit but more advanced), does anyone know of a company that can produce these?

I have created a program which does all the calculations etc but do not have a clue how this would go inside a unit etc.

Without this unit the game is quite difficult as more time-consuming so it is really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine that any calculator manufacturer in good ol' China could make what you are looking for. However, unless you were doing a massive order (like Monopoly does) the cost would certainly be prohibitive. Is there any way you could develop a slide-rule type wheel to assist with calculations? That is something you could easily prototype yourself and shouldn't be difficult to mass-produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mallory
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another option would be to either work with a programmer, or program yourself, a small app, or work up an Excel Spreadsheet that handles the calculations...

for prototyping/ playtesting purposes, a netbook near the game would likely not be a bad thing to have... you could even have a copy of notepad or other word processing program open for use to take notes on gameplay, etc...

once you've done your playtesting, and are ready for china to mass-produce, the logic can be turned over to a chip designer, and they'll take it from there...

if you're thinking more of a lower volume print run, then I agree with a wheel-based calculator/sliderule approach...

there were several used back in the days of computer games of the 80's/90's where they were used as copy protection...

in any case, good luck, and I've subscribed to the thread to see how things work out... make sure to post pics once you figure out what route you choose...

-Garfield227

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, consider the 'need' for such a unit (perhaps discuss the mechanic here). There may be easier ways to represent what you want without introducing a powered device to the table.

Did you ever have the Dark Tower suddenly lose power when you were making the final assault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Did you ever have the Dark Tower suddenly lose power when you were making the final assault?

I'd consider that a win. Hey, if the evil king couldn't bother to step away from his nefarious plans long enough to pay the power bill, that's his loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.