Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, we have been playing the game wrong. We were discarding cards instead of giving them to other players when being shot. But, on thinking about it, I believe that discarding keeps the game more even. We all know that leaders are square targets and I have yet to see a leader win the game. It seems to me that giving cards away may create even more of an inbalance in the game: The guys in the rear end up with way more cards to score points. What do you guys think?

So far, our games have been pretty close, within 50 or so points between the top 3. When we play again, I'll suggest going by the rules, but I have a feeling that it will change the game significantly for the worse. There is a high survival rate among pedestrians when the first cars go through: the leaders have to save cards for attacks rather than use them for additional dice to score kills. This promotes the camping of rear players to collect cards through shooting and allows them to dedicate a large amount of cards for additional dice.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have a hunch that the giving of cards to other players is a source the problem that some people have with the balance in the game....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat out discarding everything rather than passing to the person who did the damage leads to a much shorter game though. We played that way our first game (didn't understand the rules) and half the cars had three wipeouts and were out (optional rule) by the third tile of road. I know road racing like this is meant to be cutthroat, but that's a bit much for a game.

Given your description of how close the games have been, I would say that's balanced pretty decently, as the scores are within 50 of one another. When people get wiped out on the third tile though, it just leads to them being frustrated with the game and doesn't make it seem that balanced at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dopehatman wrote:
Flat out discarding everything rather than passing to the person who did the damage leads to a much shorter game though. We played that way our first game (didn't understand the rules) and half the cars had three wipeouts and were out (optional rule) by the third tile of road. I know road racing like this is meant to be cutthroat, but that's a bit much for a game.

Given your description of how close the games have been, I would say that's balanced pretty decently, as the scores are within 50 of one another. When people get wiped out on the third tile though, it just leads to them being frustrated with the game and doesn't make it seem that balanced at all.

Well, we didn't play to elimination, and most of the guys with three tokens were the leading cars where they didn't get too many opportunities to hit other cars. Everybody hit them. Anyways, it took a lot more than just a couple tiles for guys to get up to three tokens. Were you guys were playing the "only one wipeout per turn" rule? Like I mentioned, we will try the rules as printed, but I think it will be more of a case of the have and have-nots.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we were playing with only one wipeout per turn, three wipeouts equals your car being totaled. On one turn, somebody hit the leader for I think 8 hits total. The leader didn't have enough cards to cover so they wiped out. Next turn they hit somebody for 5 points, and should have got the cards to give them a fighting chance. How we were playing though, they were discarded as well. The leader then got hit again for more damage than they had points, and wiped out a second time. Their last wipeout was from not being able to make the jump on the jump tile successfully.

They should have been able to survive that normally if the cards were given to the damager properly. The shot for 8 damage maybe not, but the later one they would have if they had cards from their shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. We didn't have any cataclysmic events like that. One game ended with two of the four players with three wipeouts, but we played the game with the rule that they simply added more tokens and lost accessories without being able to pitstop. I was looking at the photos I posted last night of one of our games. I noticed that we were well into the game and the two players had one token apiece.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 6 player game with the correct rules this time around and yes, the card swapping did NOT affect the game and indeed, enhanced it quite a bit. So, we will stick to the rules!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting observations. We've only got one game and plenty of discussion under our belts so far so we can't really comment on this just yet. The claiming of cards lost by those you attack seems an added incentive to beat at people, which I think is an essential part of this game.

It keeps the front racer on his toes as those behind him will not only be blasting his backside off at every chance, but they will then get his cards so that they can either keep up the beating or take more risky corners at a higher speed, catching him up and overtaking altogether. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.