Popular Tags: [View All]
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like every group of friends, my gaming group has developed over the years a wide array of inside jokes. Going on twelve years old we sometimes will look at one another, remark "I have to get dark," and all laughter will erupt. And, these kinds of things have developed even in our gaming habits. What gaming concepts or rules do you have unique to your group? Follow me after the cut for some from my group.

We have many, but the one that inspires the title of the post comes from Through the Ages. TTA is a long one, and we often start playing at 11:00 p.m. or later since it only fits four and we have to wait for others to retire for the evening. That means the vast majority of our games have really hit their stride at two and three in the morning.

For those of you who haven’t played, each player takes a turn and then has an upkeep phase where they have to produce food and consume it based on population, then produce other resources and perhaps lose them due to corruption. This upkeep process doesn’t really involve the other players and one player can finish up as the next person starts their turn. So, we began saying, "Go ahead and take your turn and I’ll do my upkeep."

But, at three in the morning, polysyllabic words such as "upkeep" are not always on the front of the brain - especially as you are constantly planning out additional moves in TTA. So, one in our group only grunted out, "Go ahead, I’ll do my... do my... do my durrs." Ever since, we have referred to the upkeep as doing our "durrs." Even when teaching new players the game, we’ve kept this lingo and they quickly adopt it.

We also refer to the "Competition" action in Dominant Species as the "nom" action, and we have a variety of ... colorful euphemisms for the "Family Growth" action in Agricola.

How about you? What labels or epithets are unique to your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any generic food resources (e.g. Stone Age, Agricola, TTA, etc..) are referred to as "chickens".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In wargames: "Walkies" for movement, "Fighty-Fighty" for combat.

"Alright, I'm going walkies with these guys. Done. M'kay, on to fighty-fighty starting with these..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brittany Gary
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
"Fighty-Fighty" for combat.

For me, combat usually = "stabby".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite some time ago, (like 15 years) I was running an RPG group and during one particularly long combat which involved a number of mobs, an enemy guardsman, who I had numbered 6 on my hit tracking sheet, refused to go down, taking way more hits than any of the others (we were playing Harnmaster, which generates graphic injuries and does not have hit points). Anyway, this #6 guy took many many hits that shouold have dropped him but he continued to make his Endurance rolls, going so far as three 1's on a 3d6 END check to be followed by four 1's on a 4d6 END check the next round.

In the end, the PC's were able to get him to yield (with a number of PC's down due to this NPC). They flipped him and he becamse a party retainer and later a full fledged PC. In subsequent combats, he continues to be blessed by freakishly lucky die rolls. We gave him a name, but he was always fondly referred to as "6".

Since then, we have always referred to a monster/npc as a 6 when it performs way beyond it's intended level of difficulty.

When I roll out a large combat and mark down my monsters by numbers on a tick sheet, the PC's always cry out "Beware of the 6". This never fails to bewilder the rookies in the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection phase in Pandemic- "Do the doofer."

"OK so you've drawn 2 cards, now, (points at infection deck) do the doofer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game in any genre where 3d6 gets rolled you can "jam your autocannon" on triple 1's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid I had a set of Laurentian brand pencil crayons. One colour was called "Natural Flesh Tone" and was a very politically incorrect pinkish hue.

So, of course, I like to refer to any player using natural-coloured wood bits (i.e. not painted a colour but just left as natural wood) as "flesh tone".

"Okay, so red's gone. Who's next? Oh, flesh tone."

And it seems to be spreading... ninja

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
**warning - more political incorrectness**

Whenever playing the Harrow in Agricola, it is mandatory to pronounce it like a parody of a Chinese person saying 'hello'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PopEx = Civilization's Population Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
Any counters, tokens or the like are referred to as either "pogs" or "beans".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife remarked that the symbols for coins in Runebound reminded her of Burgers, so from then on money in that game is referred to as burgers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:
Any generic food resources (e.g. Stone Age, Agricola, TTA, etc..) are referred to as "chickens".

Except in Caylus, where they are little pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Playing too much Vinci I think has brought the term "going into decline" for any Civ game when we have to do upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.