Subject: The Sorceror King Revival-Switcheroo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wanted to start doing session reports again now that I am the OL. We started off with this group and the OL was having a tough time, so I took over in the middle of week 3 or 4, can't remember. With the OL only getting 1 kill prior to the switch, I ended up tearing them up. With their hopes and dreams shattered of me now being a dominant OL, we start up again below. A list of what the group is and their stuff will be at the bottom of the post.

We start off on the second dungeon level of the Gardens of Tarn, with "The Gauntlet". This is a Rumor dungeon, so they are trying for Belly of the Beast to get 2,000 gold.

Trapmaster is in play, with 31 threat and a full hand of 8 cards. For the most part this session, I will be going off of our log from descentcampaigntrackdotcom. Then on our next session report, switch to a more detailed session report.

Runewitch Astarra picked up a gold pile for 400 gold. Grey Ker has died, giving the overlord 3 conquest. Talia has died, giving the overlord 4 conquest. Runewitch Astarra has died, giving the overlord 2 conquest. Landric the Wise has died, giving the overlord 3 conquest (curse from staff of the grave). Runewitch Astarra picked up a gold pile for 400 gold. Runewitch Astarra activated a Glyph for 3 conquest. Talia killed the leader Grimfang for 2 conquest and 100 gold. Runewitch Astarra opened a chest which contained 1 treasure, 2 potions, and 200 gold.

At the end of "The Gauntlet" I remember putting DOOM! into play, as well as having a stacked amount of threat, probably over 40 with a full hand of cards and nearly cycling the deck for the first time in my OL career I was very confident going into our first Rumor level too.

So we start off the first level with a run action from Astarra, this is perfect as I am able to put a pit trap down to kill her off before she reaches the door and is pretty much a wasted action. Grey and Landrec move forward with Tahlia guarding at the elbow near the beginning. This is a perfect time for a Dark Charm on Landrec to Blast the 3 heroes. Luckily with Astarra running, she activated the glyph giving Grey Ker a Disarm, which failed the roll, so he play...another Disarm!!! Oh well, I can't have all the luck. I spawned a beast man war party, thinking of killing Landrec. I went to activate a normal beastman to get rid of Tahlia's guard, but she interuppted me when my beastman was going through the same space as the Master beastman, and Tahlia killed them both in one swing Bone head move by me, again it is starting to look a bit better for the Heroes.

Talia killed a master monster for 50 gold. Talia picked up a gold pile for 400 gold. Landric the Wise killed a master monster for 50 gold. Talia killed a master monster for 50 gold. Runewitch Astarra activated a Glyph for 3 conquest. The Sorcerer King cycled the overlord deck for 3 conquest. Runewitch Astarra has died, giving the overlord 2 conquest. Landric the Wise has died, giving the overlord 2 conquest. Runewitch Astarra opened a chest which contained 2 potions, 300 gold, and 1 conquest. Grey Ker has died, giving the overlord 3 conquest. Runewitch Astarra has died, giving the overlord 2 conquest. Runewitch Astarra activated a Glyph for 3 conquest. Runewitch Astarra picked up a gold pile for 400 gold. Runewitch Astarra picked up a gold pile for 400 gold.

There was a sequence in this level that Runewitch was going for the Blue Rune Key and stopped in front of the T. At the time I flipped the spawn marker over at the beginning of my turn. I spawned a razorwing flock, in response, he played 2 sparks of pain feats, giving him aura 8. that got me thinking, but gilbert (astarra) would have had to play that at the start of my turn, and we were on monster spawning portion. so we backed it up, but then i got to change my spawn from razorwings to shades which, should have been my first play, but i am glad it worked out like this, because he ended up spending 2 feats. i was planning on blocking the corridor with the shades and i made another interesting move adjacent into astarra, "DUH" take 8, stupid me. i attacked, then got smart, moving one onto the chest and the other back onto the blue rune key.

This is some more back story, but I finally convinced Gilbert to equip Backbiter onto Grey with Rapid Fire. When I switched over to OL, they actually sold it when I was tearing things up with him. Their reasoning was to not give me more CT. They eventually got it again in a treasure pull. Another interesting point, before the dungeon ended was all they had to do was get the red rune key and leave. i thought this was a bit weird because in the flavor text it says something like eradicate the threat, which gilbert thought he had to kill the leader. after looking at some of the other rumor dungeon levels though, they didn't have the red rune key sitting around, so i ruled it as they had to get the key and could leave, they didn't have to kill the level leader. so they missed out on more CT and some gold, but it was probably a good choice because i probably would have got at least another 2 kills im guessing. before they left the dungeon, they picked up the boat and the guide and their 2,000 gold reward.

week 6
OL purchases Merric, moves him up, moves Alric to Riverwatch.
Heroes take a train action in Tamalir
Grey Ker-Healed to full at the Temple
Tahlia-Trained Mighty
Landrec-Trained Marksman
Astarra-Upgraded to a Silver Dice

week 7
OL purchases Eliza, moves her to Merric, and moves him towards Dawnsmoor. Alric places his 2nd siege token on Riverwatch.
Heroes take another train action in Tamalir
Grey Ker-Upgrade to a Silver Dice
Tahlia-Upgrade to a Silver Dice
Landrec-Upgrade to a Silver Dice
Astarra-Shops at the market, selling some items and picking up the bone blade, which i showed him the morning star. now Tahlia will do 5 damage (2 from mighty, 1 plus surge from morning star, 1 from belt of strength) without even rolling yet, 6 with command from Astarra.

Ok, this is a crazy hero starting draw, and a crazy skill set, now they are freaking loaded with dice, weapons and more skills. Luckily, I am trying to establish my board presence, as I am also doing fairly well in the dungeons with silver eldritch alone. I am glad I had switched to OL at week 4 because Gilbert was not having fun, and I really felt bad and didn't want to start it all over.

Week 8
This was a tough one looking back on it, but my plan was to purchase siege engines, which would bring Riverwatch to 2 defense, then i could potentially roll for a raze, with my plot in play (obs shackles) i got another dice too. i succeeded and razed Riverwatch. in hindsight, looking at the conquest totals H59 OL75 Total 134, i am thinking it would have been better to buy an event treachery. my reasoning behind this is that the hero's can travel to Dawnsmoor right now and attack Merric in the copper level of the campaign with how strong they are. all i really gained from getting the engines is a chance to take out Riverwatch, which i did, but if it costs me Merric, I will be very sad. they are also looking to do at least 1 more dungeon to have enough gold to go to olmir's hunt for secret master training. though if they are going the rate in which they did on the last 3 levels of a dungeon, we may hit silver before they get there, then i have a chance to also blow it up. Merric is now at Dawnsmoor and Liza is at Misty Plains.

so we end here, with only Gilbert staying late last night, he didn't want to make the decision of where to go without talking to the other hero member who couldn't make it that night (bryan). completely understandable, because these next 2-3 weeks can determine where the campaign will be going.

Landrec-(19 xp)Prodigy Marksman, bbag dice, Sunburst, Leather, Ghost Armor, Screaming Eagle Staff, Staff of the Grave

Grey Ker-(39 xp)Rapid Fire, bbag dice, Backbiter, Chainmail, Archer's Charm, Great Bow

Runewitch Astarra-(39 xp)Blessing, bbag dice, Staff of Punishment, Elven Robe,Ring of Protection

Tahlia-(19 xp)Unmovable, Mighty, bbag dice, Bone Blade, Morningstar, Platemail, Belt of Strength, Dragontooth Hammer

There are a few potions scattered around, I am not too sure who has what though. The heroes have Staff of the Wild, Enchanted Boat, Guide, 550 gold.

OL-The Sorcerer King (25 xp)
Silver Eldrith
Snipers
Siege Engines
Alric-Riverwatch
Merric-Dawnsmoor
Eliza-Misty Plains

Total Conquest: 134
Heroes: 59 Overlord: 75
Copper Level (66 conquest until Silver Level)

Please let me know your thoughts and if there are any rules things that came up in your mind. We will probably pick up on a weekly basis again after Christmas and New Years on the 5th, in case you are looking forward to more write ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't read it all, to be honest, but why not run Merric away?

Sacking Riverwatch didn't cost you Merric yet...and you can also do damage with minions and then make him flee once the battle is close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slackerb wrote:
Didn't read it all, to be honest, but why not run Merric away?

Sacking Riverwatch didn't cost you Merric yet...and you can also do damage with minions and then make him flee once the battle is close.

of course, that is what i am going to try to do, but this group isn't exactly a pushover. i think they may have a good chance of getting there on the first turn. again im not sure who has what potions, but there are a couple of power potions there. believe me i don't intend on losing him, just saying the possibility is there.

another thought that popped into my head is upgrading with Arcane Energies (sorcerer's get blast 1), but i think getting that crushing blow is pretty darn important especially when they have staff of the grave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
Luckily with Astarra running, she activated the glyph giving Grey Ker a Disarm, which failed the roll, so he play...another Disarm!!!

I spawned a razorwing flock, in response, he played 2 sparks of pain feats, giving him aura 8. that got me thinking, but gilbert (astarra) would have had to play that at the start of my turn, and we were on monster spawning portion. so we backed it up, but then i got to change my spawn from razorwings to shades which, should have been my first play, but i am glad it worked out like this, because he ended up spending 2 feats.

2 feats in one turn? not allowed, I'm afraid - either that, or I'm missing something of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:

week 6
Tahlia-Trained Mighty
Landrec-Trained Marksman

week 7
OL purchases Eliza, moves her to Merric, and moves him towards Dawnsmoor. Alric places his 2nd siege token on Riverwatch.

You can train two trait dice or upgrades per training. I note that no one trained one dice each week, so that might be a definite choice to under-train, but they would have been much better off with a few heroes training more dice upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:

There was a sequence in this level that Runewitch was going for the Blue Rune Key and stopped in front of the T. At the time I flipped the spawn marker over at the beginning of my turn. I spawned a razorwing flock, in response, he played 2 sparks of pain feats, giving him aura 8. that got me thinking, but gilbert (astarra) would have had to play that at the start of my turn, and we were on monster spawning portion. so we backed it up, but then i got to change my spawn from razorwings to shades :)

Actually the OL's 'start of turn' extends through Step 1 and Step 2 (everything before step 3 in fact), so the heroes can still play 'start of turn' cards (at least those that refer to OL's 'start of turn') after a spawn card is played.

DJitD pg12
Power cards can only be played on the overlord’s turn before activating any monsters in step 3.
Any Power card
Play this card at the start of your turn ...

This doesn't change that some things still need to be done in sequence (despite the FAQ ruling that start of turn effects can by done in any order) - you still draw 2 cards, then discard down to hand size, before you can spawn for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
Another interesting point, before the dungeon ended was all they had to do was get the red rune key and leave. i thought this was a bit weird because in the flavor text it says something like eradicate the threat, which gilbert thought he had to kill the leader. after looking at some of the other rumor dungeon levels though, they didn't have the red rune key sitting around, so i ruled it as they had to get the key and could leave, they didn't have to kill the level leader. so they missed out on more CT and some gold, but it was probably a good choice because i probably would have got at least another 2 kills im guessing. before they left the dungeon, they picked up the boat and the guide and their 2,000 gold reward.

It does sound a bit weird. The rumours normally have explicit instructions on when you get the reward, so if you only checked the flavour text you might have missed something.
But since we basically ignored rumours in RtL (too high a cost in copper/early silver, rewards not need in late silver/gold) I'm not that familiar with many of them - we did a few here and there, but I don;t remember individual ones very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
duhtch wrote:
Luckily with Astarra running, she activated the glyph giving Grey Ker a Disarm, which failed the roll, so he play...another Disarm!!!

I spawned a razorwing flock, in response, he played 2 sparks of pain feats, giving him aura 8. that got me thinking, but gilbert (astarra) would have had to play that at the start of my turn, and we were on monster spawning portion. so we backed it up, but then i got to change my spawn from razorwings to shades which, should have been my first play, but i am glad it worked out like this, because he ended up spending 2 feats.

2 feats in one turn? not allowed, I'm afraid - either that, or I'm missing something of course

Yep, pretty sure the players are limited to only one feat per turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
duhtch wrote:

There was a sequence in this level that Runewitch was going for the Blue Rune Key and stopped in front of the T. At the time I flipped the spawn marker over at the beginning of my turn. I spawned a razorwing flock, in response, he played 2 sparks of pain feats, giving him aura 8. that got me thinking, but gilbert (astarra) would have had to play that at the start of my turn, and we were on monster spawning portion. so we backed it up, but then i got to change my spawn from razorwings to shades

Actually the OL's 'start of turn' extends through Step 1 and Step 2 (everything before step 3 in fact), so the heroes can still play 'start of turn' cards (at least those that refer to OL's 'start of turn') after a spawn card is played.

DJitD pg12
Power cards can only be played on the overlord’s turn before activating any monsters in step 3.
Any Power card
Play this card at the start of your turn ...

This doesn't change that some things still need to be done in sequence (despite the FAQ ruling that start of turn effects can by done in any order) - you still draw 2 cards, then discard down to hand size, before you can spawn for example.

that's what I thought, though the whole "start of turn" thing is awfully confusing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
duhtch wrote:

week 6
Tahlia-Trained Mighty
Landrec-Trained Marksman

week 7

You can train two trait dice or upgrades per training. I note that no one trained one dice each week, so that might be a definite choice to under-train, but they would have been much better off with a few heroes training more dice upgrades.

i thought i remembered reading that somewhere, but looking at the rules and FAQ i didn't see anything regarding that. maybe i'm just blind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
corbon wrote:
duhtch wrote:

week 6
Tahlia-Trained Mighty
Landrec-Trained Marksman

week 7

i thought i remembered reading that somewhere, but looking at the rules and FAQ i didn't see anything regarding that. maybe i'm just blind

Sounds like you went looking for a special rule. It's in the basic rule though...

RtL pg23
Train
A hero who visits a Training Ground in the train circumstance
may purchase one skill upgrade, or up to two trait upgrades, by
spending coins and XP as described under “Hero Upgrades” on
page 23.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oh, duh me, i knew it was somewhere, but i was looking under the next heading, only doing a "find" function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.