Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: In ASL The Counters Tell The Story. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You clip a bit much off the corners for my tastes.

But very nice shot (gun and camera)! Happy shooting.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
You clip a bit much off the corners for my tastes.


My buddy Paul Sidhu is a little aggressive with his clippers, at least on his AFVs:



They're basically boats.

Nice shot, Steve - great scenario, too.

JR
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a single counter clipped like that, I would consider the entire product ruined and buy a new copy. What is the point of hacking off 2 corners like that? It's clearly not serving the standard purpose of corner clipping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
jrtracy wrote:
My buddy Paul Sidhu is a little aggressive with his clippers, at least on his AFVs...

WOW! Does he use an axe to clip them?


That pictured scared me!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jrtracy wrote:
Rindis wrote:
You clip a bit much off the corners for my tastes.


My buddy Paul Sidhu is a little aggressive with his clippers, at least on his AFVs:



They're basically boats.

Nice shot, Steve - great scenario, too.

JR


Well one of them is in a lake.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what makes wargames so awesome! You just do not get narratives like this out of manipulating wooden cubes! Good job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
If I had a single counter clipped like that, I would consider the entire product ruined and buy a new copy. What is the point of hacking off 2 corners like that? It's clearly not serving the standard purpose of corner clipping.

I'm thinking the idea is to emphasize which way the vehicle is facing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
I'm thinking the idea is to emphasize which way the vehicle is facing.

Correct. I don't do that myself, but I've played with other folk's sets that do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
You clip a bit much off the corners for my tastes.


The photograph I'm looking at has perfectly square corners
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
Well one of them is in a lake.


Heh! The scenario is J63, Silesian Interlude, from the 2009 Albany tournament - the ponds are level 0 open ground by SSR (apologies for the glare):



Like Steve's photo, that shot tells a story too - Paul's three Panthers facing off against an IS2 at point blank range. One turn later, just one Panther remained, along with three flaming wrecks.

JR

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whit Richardson
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
I admit it's a pain to glance at the board and be able to see the facing of the vehicles. But there's gotta be a better way to indicate facing. Maybe daub a lttle triangle of white paint at the very corner of the facing direction.

That's an interesting solution I hadn't thought of before. Any one ever see someone touch up their AFV counters like this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
kiraly wrote:
jrtracy wrote:
My buddy Paul Sidhu is a little aggressive with his clippers, at least on his AFVs...

WOW! Does he use an axe to clip them?


That pictured scared me!


Same for me!! Brrrrr Gänsehaut...zombie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Xenophon wrote:
Quarashi wrote:
kiraly wrote:
jrtracy wrote:
My buddy Paul Sidhu is a little aggressive with his clippers, at least on his AFVs...

WOW! Does he use an axe to clip them?


That pictured scared me!


Same for me!! Brrrrr Gänsehaut...zombie


I'm not a clipper at all but I think all right thinking people can agree, that's taking things too far. Banish him!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
My buddy Paul Sidhu is a little aggressive with his clippers, at least on his AFVs:

AAAAHHH!!!! I am all for counter-clipping, but that is just vandalism! gulp
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikekreuzer wrote:

I'm not a clipper at all but I think all right thinking people can agree, that's taking things too far. Banish him!


Tempting, I agree, but Paul has enough redeeming qualities to keep him around.

JR
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
If I had a single counter clipped like that, I would consider the entire product ruined and buy a new copy. What is the point of hacking off 2 corners like that? It's clearly not serving the standard purpose of corner clipping.


Isn't it obvious the purpose is for Covered Arc? Not saying I agree with the extent of it, but, looks pretty clear to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about to clip only three corners of vehicle and gun counters, the remaining corner defined the covered arc. But it looked soo strange to me that I´ve cliped this corner also....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing Paul's counters, I think I might go ahead and clip all my counters in half diagonally.

Then I'll have two sets and I can probably make a killing on EBay.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whit Richardson
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
If I had a single counter clipped like that, I would consider the entire product ruined and buy a new copy. What is the point of hacking off 2 corners like that? It's clearly not serving the standard purpose of corner clipping.

I agree with you Jim. He's trying to more easily show the AFV's Vehicle Covered Arc, but his clipping job is pretty drastic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played ASL on and off for decades, but I've never clipped my counters. How do you do it? Nail clippers? Do they curve the right way?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Grotius wrote:
I've played ASL on and off for decades, but I've never clipped my counters. How do you do it? Nail clippers? Do they curve the right way?


You've missed nothing. Nothing!

On behalf of the League of Anti and Non Clipping ASL Players (PLAYERS)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.