Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just took advantage of one of TRU's two-for-one board game sales, and picked up both Heroscape and Clone Wars Risk (W00T!)

There are some EXTREMELY minor spoilers for Episode III ahead (specifically: a previously undisclosed name for an event that we already know about) so if you don't want to know, don't read any further.

I briefly skimmed the rules, and I'm going from memory, so bear that in mind.

The board is composed of a number of regions (read: continents) in Republic space, each connected by a 'hyperspace line' to one or more of the other regions. Each region has a number of planets (read: territories).

There are a couple of aspects to this game which make it different from a vanilla game of Risk.

The first, is the Order 66 track. Order 66 is the name given to Palpatine's Jedi Purge, which he springs in Episode III when the Jedi are scattered across the galaxy. Each turn of the game, you increment the 'Darth Sidious' figure one space on the Order 66 track.

The Seperatist player can implement Order 66 at ANY POINT during the game, but he can only implement it once. The longer he waits for it, the more successful he will be.

When Order 66 is called, the Seperatist player rolls an 8-sided dice for each planet under Republic control. If he rolls one of the numbers listed next to the space that Sidious occupies on the Order 66 track, then that specific planet has its units converted to Seperatist units.

Order 66 also removes Darth Sidious from the Order 66 track, and puts him on the gameboard. He can't move, and if the planet he's on should fall, the Republic player wins the game. This, I would think, helps balance out the Seperatist juggernaught that Order 66 can create.

Somewhat related to the Order 66 track, is the fact that cards in Clone Wars Risk can be used for two things: buying troop units/ships (more on ships later), or taking advantage of "special powers". Some of these special power cards are specifically geared towards Anakin Skywalker.

Before Order 66 is implemented, both players can use the Anakin cards. After Order 66 is implemented, only the Seperatist player can use the Anakin cards, as Anakin is presumed to have become Darth Vader at that point.

Starships are another new aspect of the game. Starships come in three flavors: fighters, corvettes, and capitol-class ships.

Starships move similar to troop units, and are purchased similar to troop units (with cards). They can't be used to capture a planet (for that, you need troops), and are taken out of play when the troops on a planet they defend are annihilated.

When a planet with starships attacks or defends, the starships tweak the dice rolls of the troops in various ways.

For every capitol-class starship above a planet, a single troop unit can roll 1d8.
For every corvette-class starship above a planet, +1 is added to a single troop die roll.
For every fighter above a planet, a single troop unit can reroll a result of '1'.

The third (and final, as near as I can remember) new aspect of the game are Seperatist generals. The Seperatist side has a number of tokens representing key characters and 'secret plans', and each of these tokens posesses a 'card value'. Each turn, the Seperatist player has to put one of these tokens face down on a planet he controls (although I don't remember whether or not he can move them on subsequent turns).

Should the Republic player capture a planet with one of these tokens, the token is removed from the board, and the Republic player immediately gains a number of cards equal to the card value of the token.

That's it in a nutshell. Anything else I didn't talk about, assumes the usual rules of Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:First read-through of rules...
Corporate Dog (#461651),

You are one lucky son-of-a-gun, you know. I went into my local TRU and saw a brand new display of various Clone offerings including the new Risk version. I picked up a copy, had it in my hands! and then a store employee informed me that they weren't supposed to sell the stuff until April 2nd, and the display was then taken to the back with a pallet jack.

Please, tell us about the components. Are they of LotR T.E. quality or are they more akin to the quality of recent classic Risk versions?

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junk Heap
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
Corporate Dog (#461651),
How is that possible! I need to run to the game store and see if they're selling them already. And please do as GG asked, send pictures, tell us about the components! I can't find any information (beside the little paragraph at the SW website) to show me anything good. This game actually looks much more unique. Share as much information as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gamegrunt (#462250),

That makes A LOT of sense, actually.

I bought the game on Friday. Last night (Saturday) I made a return trip to the same TRU, to pick up a copy of Cranium at the request of my wife.

And the shelf was COMPLETELY emptied of Clone Wars Risk. My first instinct was that it was a REALLY hot seller, but I guess that's not the case after all.

As far as the component quality goes, I'd say it compares more to recent Classic Risk releases, and not any of the games that came out under the Avalon Hill brand.

The troop units are all molded in a single color of plastic, and there are four colors total (two for each side).

The starships, sadly, are cardboard tokens. The Seperatist generals are ALSO cardboard tokens, but that makes sense, in light of the fact that they're played face down.

The board itself would seem to favor function over form (as compared to the LotR Risk board). I'm a long time player/owner of 'Freedom in the Galaxy', so I'm glad that each planet features unit boxes that can contain all the myriad pieces that might be in play on any given turn (troops, starships, generals, and possibly, Sidious).

I'll make an effort to post some pictures tonight, but if not, it'll have to be tomorrow night. "Wargame" (ie. games my wife will not play) density in my house has reached critical mass, while "party game" (ie. games my wife likes to play) density is low. This is why I was sent out to buy Cranium last night, and also why I'm going to have to smuggle Clone Wars Risk in from my car, after she falls asleep.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, for what it's worth, it appears that the "official" ad copy for the game must have been based on an early revision.

I just read the ad blurb in one of the other article threads which states, "Specially sculpted characters include Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padmé Amidala, the Emperor and Darth Vader."

But this isn't the case at all. Only the Emperor (Darth Sidious) gets a sculpt, because there are rules which use his figure. There are no special rules for utilizing other characters (apart from Seperatist Generals, who don't have any effect on combat) and thus, there are no sculpts for them.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Corporate Dog wrote:
Gamegrunt (#462250),

This is why I was sent out to buy Cranium last night, and also why I'm going to have to smuggle Clone Wars Risk in from my car, after she falls asleep.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Ah, the lengths we gamers go to. The car from house smuggle...funny how once the game enters the house (and you have disposed of the shrinkwrap and other tidbits) that the wife either: a)doesn't notice that the game is new or b) doesn't say a word when you bust it out to finally play 6 months after it has sat unplayed in the closet....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

Thanks for the details. From the appearance of the box (definitely small by the A-H standard) and your description of cardboard figures rather than sculpts, it sounds like Hasbro could not overcome its natural tendency to cut corners to pad the bottom line. They should realize, however, that it will cause many of us to balk at paying anything but a deeply discounted price for this version.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OusterX wrote:
Ah, the lengths we gamers go to. The car from house smuggle...funny how once the game enters the house (and you have disposed of the shrinkwrap and other tidbits) that the wife either: a)doesn't notice that the game is new or b) doesn't say a word when you bust it out to finally play 6 months after it has sat unplayed in the closet....

Heh... I own 'Epic Duels', 'Star Wars Stratego', and 'Risk 2210' already.

It'll be pretty well camouflaged. ninja

The bigger challenge will be finding a place to store my new Heroscape box. I'm thinking under the couch would be ideal, if she doesn't notice one side of it angled about five feet higher than the other.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As an update, I managed to snap some pictures this morning. The quality? Not great. In some shots I used a flash, in others, I didn't (and artificially lightened them up in Paint Shop Pro).

Photography just ISN'T my strong suit.

So I've submitted the shots to BGG, and with some luck, they'll be posted later today.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Ahmed
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If anyone can't find a copy at their local TRU, which seem to be quite common, Amazon.com has them at the moment and they are offering free shipping (just got my confirmation e-mail).

And for the person that has their's, are the figures hard plastic or rubber because I plan to get some extra pieces to paint and make a 6 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LordTeleute wrote:
And for the person that has their's, are the figures hard plastic or rubber because I plan to get some extra pieces to paint and make a 6 player game.

They appear to be a very pliable plastic.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Ahmed
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Corporate Dog (#463049),

Think the paint will stick? Because what I use (Testors) seems to work on hard plastic but not on rubber.

On a side note, I think Amazon pulled the SW Risk or sold out because the site now says "This item is currently not available".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sanborn
United States
South Berwick
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LordTeleute (#463170),

In my experience, paint doesn't stick all that well to this type of plastic. It's the same sort of plastic that they make, say, "army men" out of.

Regards,
Corporate Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can successfully paint soft plastics. Use a spray primer specifically designed for plastic (Rustoleum Plastic Primer, for example) to undercoat. Paint figures with acrylic paint (do not use Testor enamels, as they are not flexible enough and will crack over time). Seal the paint job with a clear acrylic spray, there are many brands of gloss and matte sprays but I like Krylon myself. And you are good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rocha
Canada
Windsor
ontario
flag msg tools
Corporate Dog (#462851),

Can I use those pics in my clone wars yahoo group.

I don't wanna step on any toes

Thanks,

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.