Subject: Study Confirms That Fox News Makes You Stupid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
http://www.alternet.org/story/149193/study_confirms_that_fox...
We (most of) all knew it, but for those who had some doubts....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion merely leads down the road to, "so what? CBS did it for years before Fox did. The Christian Science Monitor was controlled by space aliens with a communist agenda. The Hearst papers didn't like you to make fun of Marion Davies, because Hearst was a Haitian Voodoo Master."

Do you really want to open that can of worms in here AGAIN?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Cool wrote:

There was an episode of John Stewart where he ripped Fox (ok there's probably a ton of them). This particular one had Fox all excited about a "huge" scandal that they had uncovered. The scandal..

That Obama was raised a Muslim.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Cool wrote:

The study actually just said that watching Fox News was correlated with being wrong. Being wrong is very different from being stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Next headline:

Report analysis confirms that journalists still don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Digging into it more, I've never here of the organization "World Public Opinion" before, and their methodology seems rather slanted. For example, the correct answer to the question about the stimulus is that "it saved or created several million jobs"....yet if you dig into their reasoning, that conclusion isn't supported by the data, which cited a poll of 66 economists, a majority of whom simply said the stimulus was a net positive.

Similarly, they mark the correct answer on the health care legislation as "most economists think it will not increase the deficit", yet they cite only the CBO numbers...not even bothering to include any sort of poll to support their claim about what economists believe.

The topic of what media we choose to consume and how it effects our attitudes is certainly an interesting one, but this study seems like a quite flawed place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Basically dems fall back on "more" jobs would have been lost without stimulus.

Not all dems do that. I fall back on "Lindsey Graham seems so sharp, but apparently he's just another closet homosexual who benefited from DADT, but won't support gay marriage because then people would have to 'tell.'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He's making a toast to you. With red wine. In a blue sweater. And with a pipe nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His point is that it's amazing people still cling to the idea that Obama is not a natural-born US citizen, despite sworn affidavits from Hawaiian bureaucrats, God, Mario & Luigi, and the Secretary of State of Florida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout

This must be a parsing of words so finely that it is impossible to know the exact meaning. Did some congressman initially propose the bailout? If so Obama made it his issue and tied himself closely to it because he thought it would increase his popularity.

I don't know about "some congressman" but the person who announced them to the world was then-President George "Free Market" Bush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Perhaps we are arguing degree of clarity?

We're not arguing (you and me) because I was just guessing at what his point was. It's 5:30 in the morning, and I'm supposed to be sound asleep, and yet oddly I find myself compelled to post in RSP in between capturing Pokémon. I do recall who was in charge of the country when the GM bailout showed up, however....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Edit: What does Obama claim?

I have to believe, due to his having run for President of the United States, and his having been a professor of Law at Harvard, one of our finest educational institutions, that he was aware of the provision of the Constitution that requires the President to be a natural-born citizen of the USA, and therefore his tacit claim is that he's a natural-born citizen of the USA. What exactly is your source for his refusal to release his birth certificate? I have paid so little attention to the birthers that I'm not even sure where they think they're getting their facts from. Have you ever had to order an abstract of your birth certificate because your copy of the original was either lost, or damaged? I had to. I received an official document from the State of California, with a seal so barely impressed upon it that I was worried it wouldn't be accepted as legal at the Virginia BMV. Fortunately for me, most motor vehicle departments I've dealt with (including Virginia's) were perfectly fine with it. Don't you think that there's some chance Obama has no idea where the original of his birth certificate is? And how would it look if he said so? I don't know what the deal is here, and I don't care. The State of Hawaii was perfectly happy to provide his campaign with abstracts, copies of the original, letters from pineapples...you name it. Hawaii has affirmed his citizenship and there is NO MORE ROOM FOR DISCUSSION.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

The parsing of words is not only with "initiated" as I first suspected, but also with "bailout". Were the initial loans the bailout, or was the expansion of the deal to include gov't ownership the bailout? Were the two bailouts separate or was Obama's bailout a continuation of the first?

I believe it was widely understood at the time that Obama requested that the Bush administration accelerate the Bush administration's schedule so that he'd be able to spend more time working on obtaining a valid copy of his birth certificate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that sounds like typical political savvy, so I can't really argue against it. As far as the bailouts go, let's not forget that the auto companies were just soaking up the money, and while I think the current administration (yes, Obama, I MEAN YOU) fucked over the GM bondholders in a reprehensible way, we can all be thankful that it's impossible for me to replace the alarm fob for my Saturn Vue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Clinton wanted the issue to go away.

This is the same guy that wants us to believe he didn't think a blowjob was sex. I know, I know. Sometimes it just hurts to think about the idiocy. But the deal is, if a majority of the electoral votes go to the guy, and nobody gets their act together and impeaches him, then he's just going to be pardoned anyway by somebody when he resigns, or else he'll slip quietly into history at the end of his last term. And we just have to do our best to respect these idiots, because it's unAmerican not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Since Obama will not release his birth certificate, I believe he wants it to remain "unclear".

Koldfoot wrote:
but the fact is that Obama will not release his birth certificate

Koldfoot wrote:
I don't believe Obama has ever refused to show his birth certificate.

I don't believe Clinton ever refused to release his medical records.

It's just that neither got done.

snopes wrote:
... the Obama campaign made a copy of his Certification of live birth from the state of Hawaii available on the internet in June 2008"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
...that fact remains "unclear" until Clinton denies it, no?

It's unclear whether even an idiot could believe what you're saying in this thread. I'm open to the possibility that you're just messing with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
...that fact remains "unclear" until Clinton denies it, no?

It's unclear whether even an idiot could believe what you're saying in this thread. I'm open to the possibility that you're just messing with us.
You got me on that one. That wasn't clearly stated. An idiot could have misunderstood my intent.

To be more serious, to create doubt without justification is problematic. Absent some positive reason to suspect that things are not as they seem, it's deceptive to claim that they are "unclear". Your standard seems to suggest that, until someone personally denies a claim (rather than has an aide post the answer on the internet), anyone is justified in claiming at any time that it's unclear. That's not a great standard for journalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Since Obama will not release his birth certificate, I believe he wants it to remain "unclear".

Koldfoot wrote:
but the fact is that Obama will not release his birth certificate

Koldfoot wrote:
I don't believe Obama has ever refused to show his birth certificate.

I don't believe Clinton ever refused to release his medical records.

It's just that neither got done.

snopes wrote:
... the Obama campaign made a copy of his Certification of live birth from the state of Hawaii available on the internet in June 2008"

You're telling me you want to parse active refusal vs. ignoring the issue as your fallback position?

http://msgboard.snopes.com/politics/graphics/birth.jpg

No, I think Marshall is pointing out that if we take the definition of stupid to mean "obtuse; unable or unwilling to learn" then your positions stated eloquently several times above despite being presented with the birth certificate Obama provided only seem to support the OP's subject line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I do tend to believe Obama was born as is claimed, but I do wonder why he lets the issue fester.

Yes, releasing a copy of his birth certificate two years ago has certainly let the issue fester!

The reason the issue "festers" is because there's a devoted core of nutjobs who desperately want to believe that Obama isn't American. There is no other reason. All you're doing is playing blame-the-victim.

Quote:
I do wonder why the "certification of live birth" which is not a birth certificate

Yes, it is.

Quote:
is circulated and widely claimed to be a birth certificate. I also wonder why the state of Hawaii sealed his birth certificate.

The state seals EVERYBODY's birth certificate. You never, ever have an "original" birth certificate in your possession, because the entire point of birth certificates is that the state wants a register of who is born within the state, and that doesn't work if the register isn't in its possession. You only ever get a copy. That copy may change form over time. When Obama refers to his birth certificate in his memoirs, he's referring to a copy of his birth certificate, not the original. What you have in your document folder/top dresser drawer/framed on your wall/whatever is a copy, not your original birth certificate. If we suddenly started asking you for your original birth certificate, you would be shit out of luck because you don't have it and can never get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This conversation makes it very clear to me that Fox News Makes You Stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own very non-scientific study has convinced me that anyone that watches very much TV (on any commercial channel) is already having intelligence issues. And expecting to get news? Sheer craziness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

At first I thought the issue was that Koldfoot didn't believe the birth certificate had ever been released, which could very easily be cleared up.

Now it appears the issue is that everybody knows he was born in Hawaii and has a birth certificate, but the problem is that he didn't spend millions of dollars in the heat of a Presidential campaign on TV commercials to personally wave around his birth certificate in response to the loonies who thought he didn't have one because he finds those loonies useful to rally his base and therefore the continued presense of those loonies (despite the obviousness of his Hawaiian birth mind you) is all part of his diabolical plan. *sharp inhale*

Just recapping that has made me stupider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Study confirms that RSP makes you stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Maybe he's sick of jumping through hoops for the tin foil hat crowd and by doing what they want he'll ligitimize their insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.