Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to retheme Hour of Glory in the SW universe.... you'll play the spies that stealed the Death Star secret plans, allowing the final attack in the first movie.

The reason to do this is 'cause i'm cheap: i bought HoG in the PDF version, but then the publisher added new and better rules but playable only buying they own miniatures (while i have paper pawns), and i'm not willing to pay 100€ for a game.
And if i have to draw and build paper things myself, then i want to make it SW themed.

So what i'd need for the retheme are pictures of
- stormtrooper sentinels (basically standing still) - replaces nazi guards with rifle
- stormtrooper fighting (which are the sentinels when alerted)
- stormtrooper elite - replaces nazi SS with MP44 (so better troops than the guards)
- officiers - replaces the nazi officier walking around
- ??? - replaces the dogs, which can be tied to a guard or let alone attacking intruders
- Rebel spies (i think that pilots can work)
- An important prisoner - replaces an Einstein-like captured scientist
I planned to use SW Miniatures images to do that (they have all the same lighting and angle, so they are coherent and stay well together) but i found that they are very low res...

Finally, after all this blabbing, my questions:
- have you any better idea about what SW figures may i use? The dog replacement bother me....
- there's a source of good res SW Miniatures images?
- out of curiosity, what could be the best way to buy the singles to make the game (US shipping cost are a pain, so i guess i may check EU sellers)
- Any other suggestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salokin Bayrat
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.starwars.com/vault/databank/

Try this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a google search for 'Star Wars Paper Miniatures'

I know there are some sites that have some printable paper miniatures. I just did a search but my works filter blocks all the sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Rebel spies, there is a figure specifically for that: Bothan Spy from the Rebel Storm set (first set).

For the dogs, I'd think some sort of droid. I don't know in canon if the Empire had any sort of security droid at that time. From the miniatures there's a sort of generic "Guard Droid" that might work. It looks nothing like a dog, but you could treat it like one. The beasts that might look like a dog don't really fit with the Empire.

The figures you're talking about are not expensive if you wanted actual minis instead of paper. On ebay, stormtroopers go for a little less than US$1 each. The others (Bothan spies, Imperial officers, Guard Droids) for about US$0.25. Shipping adds up, though, and the trick would be to find them all in one lot. Retail stores would have them all together but they'd also charge more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
I plan to retheme Hour of Glory in the SW universe.... you'll play the spies that stealed the Death Star secret plans, allowing the final attack in the first movie.

I am working on the exact same thing! In fact, I think with a few optional rules (Jedi's, Slicers, and a ton of SW minis out there) the game could handle some nice multiplayer scenarios.

-Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papyrus wrote:

I may be dumb, but i can't find a picture gallery....
Ugavine wrote:
Try a google search for 'Star Wars Paper Miniatures'
I know there are some sites that have some printable paper miniatures. I just did a search but my works filter blocks all the sites.

Yes, the most useful source is the Momir Farooq site, which i know from very long time.
But i'd like more to design my own, for scale, coloring, cutting and aesthetic reason.

FlyingArrow wrote:
For the dogs, I'd think some sort of droid.

Thanks for this tip. I'll do some research to find something "believable", if not canon.

FlyingArrow wrote:
Shipping adds up, though, and the trick would be to find them all in one lot. Retail stores would have them all together but they'd also charge more.

Shipping is the real issue. I've find a site where i could get the minis i need for about 20$, but then i'd have to pay 20 more for the shipping. That's the whole story of my (gaming) life: whatever i'd like most (heroscape expansions, various miniatures, some '80 games) i have to sell internal organs to have them here...

mwaschak wrote:
I am working on the exact same thing! In fact, I think with a few optional rules (Jedi's, Slicers, and a ton of SW minis out there) the game could handle some nice multiplayer scenarios.

Great.... did you have anything to share?
I plan to use tiles and Death Star walls (2D, not full 3D) from the agonizing SWMiniatures site to transform the bunker in a "computer quarter" of the Death Star, and then i need to redraw all the cards and the tokens, finding the weapons pictures and the equivalent equipement....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
mwaschak wrote:

Great.... did you have anything to share?
I plan to use tiles and Death Star walls (2D, not full 3D) from the agonizing SWMiniatures site to transform the bunker in a "computer quarter" of the Death Star, and then i need to redraw all the cards and the tokens, finding the weapons pictures and the equivalent equipement....

There are a few things. This list has some great terrain ideas: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4811727#4811727

I have had some luck getting a nice assortment of Star Wars miniatures so I can mix up the missions. I am not done yet of course, but I can see the use of Mandalorian raiders, Old Republic Jedi raiders, and all that. I wanted to do some special terrain, like fighter hangars but am still working through this.

There are a few good SW RPG sites with great shots of the equipment which I plan to use.

I am happy to help out if you want to work together.

-Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gill
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an awesome idea. What will you use for the floorplan/map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwaschak wrote:
There are a few things. This list has some great terrain ideas: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4811727#4811727

Thanks. I know a lot of these sites (and i think i've more or less all the content in a local HD: my insurance against site dead, host closing -think at Geocities- and IP wars).
Right now my plan is to redo just the the original bunker. I don't want to go too far with project as my job may cause me to put it on hold. A short project have more chances to see the finish line.

mwaschak wrote:
I am happy to help out if you want to work together.

This would be great. How can we work together?
I have some full 3D and some "flat" Death star walls from SWMiniatures, along with some different floors.
My initial idea is to build flat walls for the bunker map, and some 3D prop for the rooms where you have to search for intelligence.
Seems that you are oriented towards full 3D and larger boards, like the battle maps... how Hour of Glory rules works in a map like, say, the Hoth hangar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Thanks. I know a lot of these sites (and i think i've more or less all the content in a local HD: my insurance against site dead, host closing -think at Geocities- and IP wars).
Right now my plan is to redo just the the original bunker. I don't want to go too far with project as my job may cause me to put it on hold. A short project have more chances to see the finish line.

I agree. We should probably start with the basic bunker and mission. We could probably easily redraw most of the map with 2-D bits and pieces. Litko has some free images which might work (I used them for Star Wars Space Hulk retheming) at the bottom of this page: http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/CS

parduz wrote:

This would be great. How can we work together?
I have some full 3D and some "flat" Death star walls from SWMiniatures, along with some different floors.
My initial idea is to build flat walls for the bunker map, and some 3D prop for the rooms where you have to search for intelligence.
Seems that you are oriented towards full 3D and larger boards, like the battle maps... how Hour of Glory rules works in a map like, say, the Hoth hangar?

I am definitely starting with the basic equipment and map, but I see a lot of chances to expand on this with more equipment, raider types, and maps. I think in the "canon" Kyle Katarn stole the Death Star plans so he could be part of the team.

I was going to stay 2D for now, but maybe we can collaberate on the graphics for the board and cards.

-Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you seems much more fond on the SW universe than me
So, this is what i see we need:
1) A list of Spies that can replace the HoG spies (from the original game and the expanded rules we can find in the free 'zine they published
2) Bunker->DS art: i'd go stealing and adapting these, all from www.swminiatures.com:

2a) 2D Walls

2b) 3D Walls (to be converted in 2D)

The download file is broken, but i have it on my HD

2c) A vary few 3D props (consoles and computers) from
http://www.swminiatures.com/2007/01/15/121/
http://www.swminiatures.com/2007/02/12/3d-map-elements/
just to decorate the rooms

3) A list of weapons to be used in place of the HoG ones
4) Pictures for that weapons, the various equipements, the dead corpse and the back of the cards
5) A droid or whatever else to replace the HoG dogs.
6) A redesign of the clock, the alarm track, the alarm chits.
7) Paper flat minis of the spies, the Stormtroopers, the Commander

I can do point 2) and 6) without any problem. About 1), 3) and 5) seems to me that you have a better knowledge than mine, i'd suggest you took that balls.
About 4): i use a lot vector drawing programs, and much less bitmap graphics, which i use just to remove the background of pictures to have it transparent. So, as long i have "ready" pictures, and as long we dont want super-uber cool effects but a clean, techy design, i can do all the cards and the chits.
About 7): this is what started this thread: i have pictures of the SW miniatures taken from one minis database (don't remember what). They have the advantage to have no perspective (you se the base as a straight thick line), but they are a bit low-res.
We can use them if there's nothing better around.
I'm a fan of OneMonk miniature style (so, with a full back side) but i'm unable to draw it, so we should go with only frontal pictures.
OR
we find someone willing to take photos of the minis we need, back and front, and we can build full paper miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
This site has lots of paper Star wars models.

http://www.momirfarooq.com/index.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, some shot of the WIP:

I've almost finished to draw all the walls... then i need to search for usable weapons and equipment images.

I can't still imagine what droid (or other creature with an available image) i can use to "re-theme" the guard dogs.

edit:
how to link this thread to the Hour of Glory forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gill
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:

I can't still imagine what droid (or other creature with an available image) i can use to "re-theme" the guard dogs.

I think someone already suggested the Mouse droid? If not, may I.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MSE-6-series_repair_droid

parduz wrote:

how to link this thread to the Hour of Glory forum?

Maybe post a thread in the variant section over there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:

uh... is this thing menacing? It need to retheme the nazi dobermanns, trained to attack the intruders... was'nt it scared from Chewbacca?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of sentinel style droids which might work, like the probe droid on Hoth, some assasin droid, or something to that effect. The mouse droid makes a great spotter though.

http://www.trollandtoad.com/Collectible-Miniatures-Games/210...

Maybe an agent like http://www.trollandtoad.com/p132455.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gill
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:

uh... is this thing menacing? It need to retheme the nazi dobermanns, trained to attack the intruders... was'nt it scared from Chewbacca?

Never under-estimate the power of the mouse droid.

Don't be too proud of those technological terrors that have been constructed in the assassian/hunter droids. Their ability to destroy is insignificant next to the power of the mouse droid when they attack in pack formation. All hope is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.