New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 3, 2010 New York State ASL Championship

BFP 30 Melee Near the Coast

Opponent

Tom Morin - Tom and I have enjoyed a few games in the past and he’s always good company. We both liked Melee and diced for sides.

Situation

Thirteen and a half Japanese first-liners must fight through some difficult terrain to capture ten of the thirteen buildings from a substantial Chinese force. The IJA enjoy three leaders, three LMGs, and most importantly, three light mortars. The Chinese in turn have a pair of leaders, an MMG, a couple lights, and a pair of mortars of their own. Both sides enjoy reinforcing platoons of elite troops, though the Chinese get four squads to the Japanese three, plus a pair of leaders to the Japanese one.

(click for larger image)

Plan

Tom had a strong up front defense with a heavy emphasis on the valley village. I decided to drive hard on my left with seven and a half squads to get behind the main Chinese position, send a platoon up the trail to hit the center, and another platoon down the right to cross the stream and infiltrate the far right flank. Banzai charges would be the order of the day, taking advantage of the generous cover.

Early Going

My left flank banzais worked well and I was soon up and over the hill and attacking the board 32 buildings. Tom made 47CC4 the centerpiece of his village defense, with an 8-1/lmg/337/mmg/337 stack holding tough. They traded shots with my center platoon in the wood line, who returned fire with the mortars and an LMG. The +1 vs +2 TEM worked in Tom’s favor (all huts are wooden buildings by SSR) as my troops slowly melted while my own shots only managed to render Tom’s 8-1 Heroic. On the far right, a promising banzai was cut short by two KIAs, leaving that flank dormant until my reinforcements could lend a hand.

The fight for the valley

Big Moment

The situation was very tight in the midgame – Tom had the upper hand with CC4 looking like an unassailable fortress and five more Chinese squads in the rest of the village. However, Tom assault-moved a pair of 337s into CC9, where they were caught by my BB2 mortar. One lucky IFT DR later, both squads were broken and the village suddenly looked vulnerable.

Uh-oh!

I was looking golden on board 32 when my 9-1/237/237 stack in C3 suffered an NMC – the leader died, both half squads broke, and it was time to start sweating again.

Battle for the back buildings

Endgame

This one went down to the wire. A Berserker finally cracked the CC4 position, allowing another couple squads to run up and break the defenders with point blank fire. My reinforcements cleared the other buildings in and around the valley. My 8-0 and a squad raced down board 32 to take E5, but here things began to get dicey. On the other side of the ‘road’ (non-existent in PTO) I had only a pair of squads and a couple broken halfsquads, while Tom’s 9-1 led three 447s on the attack. One of my squads was tied up in CC with a Dare Death squad in G2, but it somehow survived two CC phases. As a result, Tom’s attack was channeled through F2, where my E3 defender was able to break or pin both of Tom’s moving squads. Had they gotten through to the C1 building, it would’ve been game over. It came down to Tom’s last 447 in close combat in E5, but he could not take down my 8-0/striped447 and I held on for the win.

Lessons Learned

• A successful banzai charge is a beautiful thing – they won the game for me via increased morale and the ability to rapidly close with the Chinese.

• No road means no dashing – I had a dash planned from E3 to E5 until I realized the PTO terrain rules rendered it N/A.

Scenario impressions

I’d happily take either side. GorGor and I tried this a couple weeks ago and my IJA just bounced off a wall of Chinese in the jungle and I conceded after two turns. This time I planned a little better, discovering the balance of caution and aggression necessary to get through and behind the main line of resistance. Each side has the tools to succeed, and replayability is afforded by several viable options on both attack and defense. Tom and I had a blast playing this, with a lot of laughs and plenty of drama. This was definitely the highlight of my weekend (and one of my top games of the year), part of a string of five great games with five great opponents.

3-0 and moving on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whit Richardson
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JR, nice AAR. I also played this at Albany. I was the Chinese against Chuck T.'s IJA forces. This was the one scenario I had taken a good look at before the tourney and thought about a good defensive set-up. It must have worked, because Chuck's IJA forces couldn't get a hold. He tried the left flank attack against the backside of the hill, where I had perched my MMG, but his Banzai was forced to funnel between the edge of the board and some bamboo. I laid down lots of resid and decimated his forces. He eventually took the hill and the villages in the valley, but after a few more desperate banzai charges it was clear he wasn't going to be able to mount any real attack of note on the board 32 village. I enjoyed this one and would also play it again as either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coyle
United States
Seabrook
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing these JR! Very nice.

Are you going to be at WO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamerx wrote:

Are you going to be at WO?

Yes, with a heavily-sedated Dr. Rob in tow. Will you be back from the Philippines?

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.