Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally jumped on the LNoE bandwagon and ordered the base game. My spouse and I are planning on bringing it to a party tomorrow and thought it would be good to do a run-through beforehand to get the rules down. So, last night night we did a two player run-through (me as the heroes, her as the zombies) of the basic scenario and I just had a few questions:

1) At a few points, as a hero, I picked up the "keys" card. Was this supposed to be included for the basic scenario? I don't see where it would be used unless all of the buildings were supposed to be locked? If that is a rule, we totally missed it, rendering this card worthless and an easy discard.

2) There didn't seem to be enough zombies. At numerous points in the match, we had the max number of zombies on the board but the humans easily skirted around them (perhaps, in part, to the "zombies must be equally distributed around the board" rule). Do people actually strictly adhere to that rule? We were almost thinking of boosting the number of zombies up (using our miniatures from the Zombies!!! game) to make it more balanced.

3) Is there any penalty for a human player to enter a building and then just spend the next bunch of turns repeatedly searching that building? It almost seems like there should be a rule that each building can only be searched a few times before the humans are forced to move on. One of my heroes pretty much didn't move the entire game.

4) If a card (like the first aid kit) pertains to another player's hero, can it be used at any time and from any distance? One of my heroes was all the way across the board from the other heroes but there wasn't any fine print on the card - just that it can be used to heal another player. It would make more sense if they had to do this during the exchange items part of their turn and be on the same square, right?

5) On certain weapon cards (I think on the crowbar, among others), it says that if a 1 or 2 was rolled, the crowbar breaks. We were assuming that melee weapons are used in the same sense as the regular "fight" rules (heroes roll 2 die; zombies roll 1; unless affected by a card). So, for this rule, is it that either die is a 1 or 2? Or the highest of the two is a 1 or 2 (meaning both are 1s and 2s)? We were playing that if I rolled a 5 and a 2, we only counted the 5... Should my weapon have broken in this scenario? (for instance, if she rolled a 3).

6) The advanced cards - can they be used with the basic campaign? I know the manual says to leave them out, but I was curious if it would make the campaign more interesting.

7) The sun track. OK, in the manual, it says that its purpose is to keep track of the number of turns until the game ends. But it doesn't mention who wins if the sun gets to the end of the track. I'm assuming it is the humans, but is this the case even if they don't fulfill the objectives of the scenario? The manual really isn't clear on this point, to the degree that the sun track feels really arbitrary.

I think those are all the questions that arose on our first runthrough that I couldn't figure out from the manual. It was fun, although I think our interpretation of some of the rules made it a bit too easy for the heroes to win. Clarifications would be extremely appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to LNoE!

First off, see the FAQ here:

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=LNOE_FAQ_%...

Second, while you do have a few rules wrong, play the game a few times before making judgments about balance and tweaking it with house rules. Most of what you *think* is not balanced is probably due to inexperienced play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Keys can be used to counter the "locked door" zombie card, as well as being needed for some scenarios. AND they let you get extra cards which is ALWAYS helpful.

2)That is a lack of zombie player experience. The gut reaction as zombie player is to clump them into a horde and shamble them around. After you have played more, you will figure out blocking doors, or making choke points is more important than just clumping into one spot. Cut off their avenues of retreat...THEN move in for the brains.

3)The only penalty of searching the same spot for many turns is the fact that speed and mobility are the best weapon the humans have at avoiding the zombies. Stand still for TOO long, and you'll get munched. That being said, searching to gear up with weapons and events is necessary for the humans to win, and even required for many of the scenarios.

4)I'm blanking on the First Aid card right now, and don't have the game with me to double check the wording, but I am 90% sure it needs to be in your hand to use it. You can pass it along to someone in the same space easily enough, but not across the board, since it IS an item, and not an event.

5)The roll for weapons breaking is a separate roll after the fight. (The exception to this is rolling a 1 with the revolver running out of ammo, but it says so directly on the card)

6)The advanced cards are just "advanced" in that they have more specific rules, or "rule breaking" abilities. Using them does not affect game play, just how many rules you need to know in order to play with them included. I have never taken them out of the deck, even with new players.

7) The sun track is the timer to meet the goal. In most cases, when the timer runs out, the zombies win, since the humans did not reach their goal before "insert bad event" happens. The scenarios may differ in length, but they all have specific conditions that need to be filled before the sun track reaches the end.

EDIT: Too add search ability of keys I had forgotten, and beef up the First Aid card response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:

1) At a few points, as a hero, I picked up the "keys" card. Was this supposed to be included for the basic scenario? I don't see where it would be used unless all of the buildings were supposed to be locked? If that is a rule, we totally missed it, rendering this card worthless and an easy discard.

Yes, and "keys" is an awesome card because it lets you draw more cards. "Locked door" effects only occur if a zombie plays a card specifying it, but you don't have to have a locked door to use the "keys" draw ability.

Quote:

2) There didn't seem to be enough zombies. At numerous points in the match, we had the max number of zombies on the board but the humans easily skirted around them (perhaps, in part, to the "zombies must be equally distributed around the board" rule). Do people actually strictly adhere to that rule? We were almost thinking of boosting the number of zombies up (using our miniatures from the Zombies!!! game) to make it more balanced.

Trust the game, it was balanced like this on purpose! Chalk this up to an inexperienced Zombie player. In general, the game is slanted toward the zombies.

Quote:

3) Is there any penalty for a human player to enter a building and then just spend the next bunch of turns repeatedly searching that building? It almost seems like there should be a rule that each building can only be searched a few times before the humans are forced to move on. One of my heroes pretty much didn't move the entire game.

No, that is perfectly legit. It's up to the zombie player to put pressure on that hero if she doesn't him there. In scenarios that have objectives (other than "Die, Zombies, Die!"), just sitting around searching can cost valuable time.

Quote:

4) If a card (like the first aid kit) pertains to another player's hero, can it be used at any time and from any distance? One of my heroes was all the way across the board from the other heroes but there wasn't any fine print on the card - just that it can be used to heal another player. It would make more sense if they had to do this during the exchange items part of their turn and be on the same square, right?

The First Aid Kit is an item and must be played (carried) immediately on the hero who drew it. That hero is the only one who can use its ability, unless they exchange it with someone else.

Quote:

5) On certain weapon cards (I think on the crowbar, among others), it says that if a 1 or 2 was rolled, the crowbar breaks. We were assuming that melee weapons are used in the same sense as the regular "fight" rules (heroes roll 2 die; zombies roll 1; unless affected by a card). So, for this rule, is it that either die is a 1 or 2? Or the highest of the two is a 1 or 2 (meaning both are 1s and 2s)? We were playing that if I rolled a 5 and a 2, we only counted the 5... Should my weapon have broken in this scenario? (for instance, if she rolled a 3).

Weapon break rolls are almost always a separate roll. The ability applies to the normal fight dice you roll, but if you choose to use that weapon's ability, you must then roll a separate die just to see if it breaks.

Quote:

6) The advanced cards - can they be used with the basic campaign? I know the manual says to leave them out, but I was curious if it would make the campaign more interesting.

I do, but don't play the "Die, Zombies, Die" scenario. That's just there to teach mechanics (or allow you to whip up on a zombie player).

Quote:

7) The sun track. OK, in the manual, it says that its purpose is to keep track of the number of turns until the game ends. But it doesn't mention who wins if the sun gets to the end of the track. I'm assuming it is the humans, but is this the case even if they don't fulfill the objectives of the scenario? The manual really isn't clear on this point, to the degree that the sun track feels really arbitrary.

Each scenario is different on who wins when the sun tracker ends. Check the scenario card you're playing. In "Die, Zombies, Die", the zombies win if the sun tracker expires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without cards and rules in front of me you'll have to forgive me if I pass on a few of these questions or dont give full explanations:

1) cant remember if this is a basic or advanced card, in some scenarios it is a Scenario Search Item meaning that it is important to the victory conditions - such as Escape in the Truck. In Die Zombies Die it obviously doesnt fulfil that role - but isnt there some other text on the card allowing you to discard it for some reason? - in addition if the Zombie player can play a card to lock a door, the this card can counter it.

2) Max 14 zombies. I guess this depends on how the Zombie player plays and moves his Zombies. If a hero stands around for too long he can get surrounded by Zombies and in most scenarios Heroes need to be searching to find certain items. Also remember Heroes cant walk through walls but Zombies can so some well placed Zombies can trap Heroes in buildings. I guess bad rolling can leave the zombie player short of zombies but I have never wanted to increase the number of zombies in any games i have played as the hero or as the zombie.

3) No penalty - can stand still and search as long as you like. Again I have never found this to happen generally as those Zombies can soon surround you even moving 1 square at a time.

4) Can't remember wording on card - FAQ says can only be used on the Hero that is carrying it - but without card cannot confirm.

5) Mostly you roll an extra die to see if a weapon breaks after you have used it. This roll is separate to the dice rolled for the fight itself. i.e. roll the dice for the fight - apply the bonus for the crowbar if using it. Then after roll another die to see if crowbar breaks. (Be careful though with some ranged weapons - the die roll for running out of ammo is the same as the die roll to see if you hit (e.g Revolver) but on other Ranged Weapons you roll separate dice to see if you have run out of ammo - read the cards carefully!

6) Yes you can use the advanced cards for any scenario. I think the idea behind basic and advanced cards is just to cut down some 'complexity' in the very first game you play. i.e. to make the first game more of a tutorial.

7) Ususally the zombies win when the sun track reaches the end. However some scenarios will say in their description that the Heroes win if the Sun Track reaches the end - usually described as the Heroes surviving until dawn or somesuch. So Zombies win at end of track unless the scenario description says otherwise.

Hope that helps. Look out for the FAQ in the files section here on BGG - it covers some very useful questions. And enjoy this great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) You can use the key on locked doors, or at any point while in a building to get 2 new cards, def a good card. Also, heroes don't have to discard cards unless they have more than 4 items (or more than 2 weapons) on a specific player, and you can use the trade step to immediately move an item to another hero in the same space instead of discarding.
http://www.flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Card:Keys

2) Make sure you're blocking choke points, and remember that each spawn counts independently for spreading out your zombies. So if you have a card that lets you spawn 2 zombies, and you're spawning 2 zombies from normal turn order, you can place them on the same 2 spawning pits instead of using all 4.

3) No penalty.

4) First aid kit is an item, so it must be played on the character that drew it. But it can be used for any hero in the same or adjacent squares.
http://www.flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Card:First_Aid_Kit

5) Most weapons require a break role after use, except for the revolver, as mentioned above. For example with the shotgun you roll a die for each zombie in the square you're shooting at, and then 1 die to see if the gun is discarded.

6) You can use them, the rules just recommend not using them to not overwhelm new players.

7) The sun track running out normally means the zombies win. But it's scenario specific.

(edited to add links to the flying frog wiki)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate them. And definitely a few of the issues really came down to not reading the cards carefully enough (I didn't read the second half of the keys card which would have revealed that it is extremely useful, even without locked doors!).

You all definitely cleared up all of those issues! Again, thank you!

In question 4), I was actually referring to the Recovery card rather than the First Aid Kit. It is an "Event" card that says "Play on any Hero (except during a fight) to heal one wound from them". Does that hero have to be in the same space as the character playing the card? The wording doesn't seem to restrict it in the same way that the First Aid Kit card does.

Another quick question: If a hero is being attacked by 2 zombies on the zombies turn, they can use a melee weapon in the fight but only once, correct? (unless they have the baseball bat) And they can never use ranged weapons in self-defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Events are NOT items, and can be played on other people (unless the card says otherwise of course!) So you should be good.

Each fight with each zombie is a different fight, so you can use the same weapon bonuses in each one, as long as they didn't break after the first one of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rathbone
msg tools
Sappington wrote:
[q="Twitch_City"]

Trust the game, it was balanced like this on purpose! Chalk this up to an inexperienced Zombie player. In general, the game is slanted toward the zombies.

That depends entirely on who you ask. personally? I feel that the game is more slated toward the heroes having the upper-hand. there are only a few scenarios i've encountered where I felt the zombies had (by default) an advantage.

All in all. I've found that an experienced Zombie player really makes or breaks the game for newbies. If you have zombies who dont know what to do, then they travel in a lump the entire game and the heroes never feel pressed for time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deneb89 wrote:
Sappington wrote:
[q="Twitch_City"]

That depends entirely on who you ask. personally? I feel that the game is more slated toward the heroes having the upper-hand. there are only a few scenarios i've encountered where I felt the zombies had (by default) an advantage.

All in all. I've found that an experienced Zombie player really makes or breaks the game for newbies. If you have zombies who dont know what to do, then they travel in a lump the entire game and the heroes never feel pressed for time.

The game designer says it's slanted toward the Zombies, so that's good enough for me. I trust the play-testing done by the designer to include equally-experienced players on both sides. You can't rely on that from any other anecdotes you read here because they rarely account for varying skill levels.

Some scenarios do make it easier on the heroes, sure, but in general, my original comment stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.