Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks. So, with permission of the original game publishers, I created a fan expansion for a game, and got it put on BGG. I know that's a contentious issue, but that isn't the point right now.

I then tried to upload some images of cards from the fan expansion to the fan expansion listing itself and they were rejected because I put them in the game category instead of the creative category.

My reasoning was that since they were cards from the expansion being listed in BGG they were part of the game. Were they being uploaded to the original game I fan expanded, then yes, they should be creative.

Was I wrong? Are cards that are part of a fan expansion "creative" rather than "game"? Does the distinction really matter in this case?

I'll probably reupload them with a clarification in the comments and if that doesn't work, I'll upload them "creative," since -- as a fan expansion -- it is unlikely that the "game" will get more than a handful of pictures anyway.

Thanks for the opinions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: They are images of the actual game itself, not creating things done with them or creative re-interpretations of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Game: They are images of the actual game itself, not creating things done with them or creative re-interpretations of them.

Yup, the Game category is the actual components of the game; creative is for items that aren't the actual components of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Since the fan expansion has its own listing, the cards should be categorized as "game". If the pictures of the cards were uploaded to the official game, then it would be "creative", but that isn't the case.

And I agree with you, in this particular case, the distinction between "game" and "creative" is pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msbtch2u wrote:
And I agree with you, in this particular case, the distinction between "game" and "creative" is pointless.

Well, if someone other than the designer created alternative cards, those would belong in the creative gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Tall_Walt wrote:
msbtch2u wrote:

Well, if someone other than the designer created alternative cards, those would belong in the creative gallery.

If you read carefully you will notice the topic starter is talking about an expansion he himself created which has it's own entry as a game (expansion).

The components he made for them do belong in the game category...

Same thing happens with PnP games though, it's difficult to get images of components approved of a PnP game in the 'game' category so I end up selecting 'creative' as to avoid having to submit them twice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Tall_Walt wrote:

These are images of the actual expansion itself thus they belong in 'game'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand. I was saying that if a different designer from the creator of the game produced a second set of cards, the second set would belong in creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Tall_Walt wrote:
I understand. I was saying that if a different designer from the creator of the game produced a second set of cards, the second set would belong in creative.

You mean to say that if I download the components as a PDF/images and print it out the images are 'creative'??? I don't agree since they are the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

I think what Tall Walt is trying to say was that if someone else created a fan card for the fan expansion, or they rethemed it or something, then it would be creative. (I have actually had someone create alternative art for one of my print and play games. It is so much better than mine.)

Thanks very much for your opinions everyone. The latest set of pictures were approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

I think what Tall Walt is trying to say was that if someone else created a fan card for the fan expansion, or they rethemed it or something, then it would be creative. (I have actually had someone create alternative art for one of my print and play games. It is so much better than mine.)

Thanks very much for your opinions everyone. The latest set of pictures were approved.

Congratulations!

And that was what I meant. Perhaps I should have said, "...second set of cards with different art...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Tall_Walt wrote:
Buggy wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Congratulations!

And that was what I meant. Perhaps I should have said, "...second set of cards with different art...."

Might have helped yeah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.