Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Kingsley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The penguin shuffled uneasily on the ice. Although he was used to the long polar twilights, the cold and the stench of his fellow penguins, he was not used to taking orders from polar bears. As a mercenary, he'd do anything for a fish, even storming Santa's winter wonderland. If some smarty pants wooden toy wanted to stand in his way, he'd better be prepared to feel the beak. He was just a bit nervous that he might not stand up to a second stanza of God rest Ye Merry, Mr Blackadder from the hordes of shopping mall santas in their cheap red suits. That was really getting on his nerves.

Order of Battle

Defending the Winter Wonderland

3 x Santa Heroes (1 x supreme commander Santa Claus)
2 x Sleigh mounted Santas (riders)
4 x Hordes of Shopping Mall Santas
1 x Santa Warband
2 x Mistletoe Lurker
2 x Toy Warbands (1 x commander)
2 x Toy Heroes
2 x Toy Rocking horse (riders)
2 x Toy Skiers (riders)
1 x Toy Angel (flier)
1 x Buzzy Bee (air boat)
1 x Gingerbread horde

Attacking and Seeking to Steal Christmas

1 x Giant Snowball (behemoth, supreme commander)
1 x Jack Frost (sneaker)
1 x Mrs Frost (spellcaster)
6 x Snowmen Snowball Grenadiers (shooters)
1 x Snowmen Horde
3 x Polar Bear Heroes (1 x commander)
5 x Penguin Mercenaries (spear)
2 x Orca Lurker

In the initial deployment the attackers offered a refused flank on their left with the penguins deployed in the centre and the snowmen to the right, hoping to take advantage of the forested terrain there. As the santa heroes charged forward to seize a central hill, the Mrs Frost wove a charm which led to one of the santas suddenly finding himself bespelled in a wind-up musical snowglobe. Advancing santa sleigh also found themselves taking a few snowballs from the snowmen grenadiers. The sleigh fell back out of range.

On the other flank the rocking horse riders had advanced far enough to contact the single stand of penguins protecting the left flank. Supported by skiing toys on their right and the toy angel on the left, the penguins had barely time to squawk before their formation was destroyed.

Advancing through the forest on the right flank, the snowmen grenadiers were able to bring santa's sleighs back within range and concentrate an impromptu blizzard of snowballs on the lead formation. The formation was quickly buried and took no further part in the battle as the santas had to dig their way out.

Now the central formations clashed. The penguins squawked mightily but still they could not drown out the annoyingly cheerful singing of the shopping malls santas. As the battle started in earnest, the penguins forced back the santas, but the toy warbands were more successful, forcing the left flank back and enthusiastically following up as they checked the penguins off their naughty list.

Meanwhile, the battle was equally intense on the right flank. Jack Frost saw his chance to finally take care of the red clad upstart, supported on his left by two stands of overlapping penguin mercenaries and on his right by Mrs Frost facing the other remaining Santa Hero. She in turn was supported by flanking grenadiers. Things went badly for the Christmas cause, as more snowballs from the forest overwhelmed the remaining formation of sleigh, and Mrs Frost ensorcelled the santa hero. Santa Claus fought grimly and fell back.

By this time things looked decidedly unfestive for the santas on their left flank and the command broke, becoming demoralised. The shopping mall santa hordes decided they had had enough and fled the field. The toy army pressed what advantage they could, outflanking a formation of penguin who held on despite the odds. In a desperate last hurrah from the santas, two formations of mistletoe ambushed Jack Frost as he was sneaking through the forest, hoping to nip Santa Claus' toes. Even with the support of the big red man himself, the mistletoe were unable to discomfort Jack.

The attackers replied with another successful bespelling effort from Mrs Frost as she forced the Buzzy Bee off the field, but more importantly, the toy warband general could not repulse the combined forces of penguins and polar bear heros, smashing that formation and their support. The fighting was over, Santa Claus abandoning his winter wonderland in search of warmer climes and the hope of revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic. Great session report, and hearing of the shopping mall santas fleeing warms my cold heart. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kingsley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank-you. Glad to spread some seasonal cheer. Must give credit to my friend for all the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolchak Yuri
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Dispatches from the Toy Army high command rated the outcome of the battle as "disappointing", but noted that our forces are withdrawing in good order, and regrouping for the counterattack.

Good AAR. Was almost like being there - wait a minute - I was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Genius. Love the total irreverence of this review. Am a bit upset that you've nicked the Cat in the Hat as an avatar now I can findly afford one. Am going to have to fall back on my second choice of some Desert Rats.

Your game does slightly remind me of a F.O.G. Wargames tournament where a female competitor had handknitted her own trees. The look of irritation on her opponents face with his beautifully painted miniatures was hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.