Constantinopolis» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you spend your first 30 ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hello.
How do you begin your game?
Small warehouse (worth 5) or market (worth 5) seem strong. Do you take a production building from the beginning?
Do you wait long before buying your medium ship ? it allows you to drive passengers from the beginning.

Thanks for any comment.

JPM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morgan-Davies
Scotland
Alloa
Clackmannanshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after playing in a few 4 players games, usually folk go for production buildings and then yellow 'factories' next, with the small warehouse getting bought quick also. Remember you get the 1st production building (green) for free but my players tend to expand their production range quickly. Medium ships usually get bought about turn 4-5 earliest as passenger contracts starts to appear more often. However, we notice players often all have different strategies forming and its guesswork to know until the end game who is going to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never bothered building the small warehouse and think it is not a good buy. You should be able to either ship your cubes or have the yellow buildings to convert them or at worst sell them. If you are regularly ending up with more than extra cube per turn, you are doing something wrong. The Redemptor (red cube/$5 discount) and the Taberna (buy cubes you produce) are much better in my opinion, as is the Mensae (+1 selling).

My preferred first turn would be to get the Comes Thesaurorum ($4 spot) which allows you to buy a $5 green building, probably the Redemptor, one of the red buildings that produce two cubes, one of which is red, and a $9 yellow building, probably the single or double green conversion buildings. Next turn you'll have another $9 or $10 to spend on buildings, which is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I've never bothered building the small warehouse and think it is not a good buy. You should be able to either ship your cubes or have the yellow buildings to convert them or at worst sell them. If you are regularly ending up with more than extra cube per turn, you are doing something wrong. The Redemptor (red cube/$5 discount) and the Taberna (buy cubes you produce) are much better in my opinion, as is the Mensae (+1 selling).

My preferred first turn would be to get the Comes Thesaurorum ($4 spot) which allows you to buy a $5 green building, probably the Redemptor, one of the red buildings that produce two cubes, one of which is red, and a $9 yellow building, probably the single or double green conversion buildings. Next turn you'll have another $9 or $10 to spend on buildings, which is huge.

Interesting to see that comment. I find the opposite - use the warehouse to build up goods (because I've been buying Red to push up contracts) and then ship more and more. You can't generally sell too much per turns, and you certainly can't make much money. The yellow buildings are less effective than shipping. Also allows flexibility of what you do/can ship as well as donation for bonus pts.

But that's why I love this game, many different (and changing) approaches for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.