Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kuehler
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing someone to this game, and it ended in exasperation when I made a move he found to be completely against anything that would have been performed in this era. I looked through the rules, and didn't see anything specific, so I am asking for confirmation.

I had a cavalry wing under charge orders. One unit was facing the enemy at a range of two hexes. In order to gain momentum, I turned away from the enemy, moved one hex and turned back. Now, being three hexes away, I could charge and gain momentum.

My understanding of the rules for charge commands is that a unit must END its movement closer to the enemy, but doesn't specify how that necessity is achieved. Am I correct, or is my friend's understanding of what is "historically acceptable" somehow captured in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Nilsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's ahistorical and that my intuition was that it wasn't allowed. However I can't seem to find a rule quote to support my claim. Maybe it's just too late over here. *subscribes to thread*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether it's in the rules or not, I would not call it ahistorical. I simply look at it as maneuvering prior to carrying out a charge. The duration of a tunr and what happens in it "historically" is abstracted in any event.

If that small a thing ended the game for him, I'd say find another opponent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He should intercept with his cavalry while yours has its back turned. That would stop that nonsense in a hurry.

If he has no cavalry in range, then I don't see what would be ahistorical about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.