Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening, my wife, son, and I played TotAN for only the second time.

After nearly four hours of play, we had to stop and declare my wife the winner. I suspected it would take another hour to resolve the game, and we were running into my son's bedtime. He wasn't thrilled to stop.

Game length is listed at two hours. The first time my son and I played (just us two), it took almost six hours over two nights to conclude the game. I chalked that up to rules unfamiliarity. Both of us having many unclearable status cards bogged down our turns also.

I'd like to get this game to the table more often, but honestly, I lose interest on most games that go more than 2.5 hours. So does my wife. That it took almost four hours without a clear winning scenario has me concerned.

Is this length issue just us? Or have other people run into extra-long games of TotAN? (The game has a faster game scenario listed, but it also seems to me to defeat some of the point of the game.)

We seem to have the same problem with Dominion game lengths stretching on for an hour.

Kinda makes a guy feel slow and stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with my wife tonight, It is difficult to say how long the game took because we needed to put the younger one to bed mid-game but it did not feel long at all and we had to make multiple referrences to the rules after not playing it for over one year. We played to 15 points but my wife had 19 when she won.

The game can run somewhat slow and I agree that there is not enough depth here to run over 60-90 minutes.If I may suggest, play for less points and make them "total points" without the story/destiny distinction. Our play was very successful and my wife suggested we play again soon and that we include the kids next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Game length is listed at two hours.

I always multiply the listed game length by at least 1.5. My first games are usually twice the listed length, even with the summaries I always make ahead of time.

Quote:
Is this length issue just us? Or have other people run into extra-long games of TotAN? (The game has a faster game scenario listed, but it also seems to me to defeat some of the point of the game.)

My two- and three-player games were around 2.5 to 3 hours before we had to call it quits due to people having to leave. In one case I actually won just when we were about to call it a day. So for us it probably takes 2 to 3 hours to play.

Having said that, finishing or 'winning' this particular game is not so relevant for us. We consider this game to be much less about winning and much more about having a wacky series of lucky and unlucky adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnijholt wrote:
We consider this game to be much less about winning and much more about having a wacky series of lucky and unlucky adventures.

Agreed. As far as I can tell, the only reason there's a victory condition in this game is so you know when you're done.

With a little work to make the ending not too abrupt, setting yourselves a time limit would work just as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 players, 6 hours seems insanely long, and makes me wonder if you didn't have a rule incorrect somewhere. Even when you're a blind beast form beggar, most encounters are giving you story or destiny points.

I do agree that lowering the points level to 15 instead of 20 is a good idea to reduce length. But, I don't think combining them is a good idea, they should be kept as two separate categories, and you should still choose 2 goal numbers at the start.

Some of our most fun moments are when it's obvious that a person needs 1 or 2 more destiny points to win, and keep earning story points that they already have way more than needed. You'd lose that anguish and pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does run a little long, but your experiences seem extreme in my experience. The last time I played was three players with a 15 point victory condition and we were done in 90 minutes. That was a little quicker than normal, but still.

I find that the game gets faster and faster as you go, points-wise. In a game to 20, for example, it seems to me the first half of the game is to about 5-6 points. The more points and skills you get, the crazier the events get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played Friday with four people and ended in 2.5 hours. Two of us made it to Baghdad and the other two were one their way (eventually).

We played to 12 points total. I did 8 story and 4 destiny. This was my second game with the same people.

If you want to play out the game longer with points, then you should definitely play that you can only have one negative status at a time. The newest one stands. The status cards really slow down your ability to explore. This is even recommended in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 games with my wife and both of them lasted about 2 hours. We ended up basically tied in both games having to use the tiebreakers to decide the winner of the game.

We both had a lot of status cards during the game. I don't think limiting the status cards is a good idea. For shorter games I would just decrease the total number of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
davbart wrote:
I've played 2 games with my wife and both of them lasted about 2 hours. We ended up basically tied in both games having to use the tiebreakers to decide the winner of the game.

We both had a lot of status cards during the game. I don't think limiting the status cards is a good idea. For shorter games I would just decrease the total number of points.

Status cards slow down the game, but are a huge part of the fun. If you are trying to play a short game and want standard victory points of 20, then you will have to make a cut somewhere. That gives you more opportunity to explore. However, your preference and my preference would be the same -- fewer victory points and less exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelyn Chan
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my boyfriend and I played the game for the first time yesterday and it took us around an hour or an hour and half to have him winnning the game.
since almost all encounter would give you destiny AND story points. I thought the game would last a bit longer than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane H
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first time last night with daughter and we played till the total of our destiny and story points reached 20. We finished in probably 1 hour 15 mins. I think at times we forgot about our statuses, such that we weren't consistent and just enjoyed the encounters, but we both really liked the game for what it was and she wants to play again. Course she does, she won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4 player game last night and it took us about 2 hours. Granted, one of the 4 of us got pretty lucky, but we would have been ending soon after her anyway (maybe within another 30 minutes or so).

I printed this file for the encounter charts, which helps finding the reaction matrix. Usually, I read off the encounter chart, someone else holds on to the reaction matrix and finds the page numbers, then I find and read the appropriate paragraph. This seems to speed things up quite a bit.

(Edited for correct file page link.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played about 4 games so far, but it seems to me to play out at about 45min to an hour per player. Since the game is almost completely independent of other players, everyone following their own story, it really is pretty consistent in my limited experience and in a few conversations with others. Each player you add will add time, but if you're playing 3 players you shouldn't be taking more than 3-4 hours at absolute most.

Naturally people getting up and doing other things like eating or using the toilet adds to the time, but it should be easy to gain enough story and destiny points in an hour per person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.