Kristopher Spring
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing the Americans but don't want do buy the beyond valor because it does not have Americans in it so where can i buy Americans for other modules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombielee wrote:
I love playing the Americans but don't want do buy the beyond valor because it does not have Americans in it so where can i buy Americans for other modules?

Well, you're not going to be able to play full ASL without Beyond Valor. It has all the system counters, so you'll need a copy of it.

Now, you're also going to need a copy of Yanks, the third module. This is the American OOB. It's out of print but you can find it through the usual means.

If you just want to stick to starter kit ASL then you have Americans to play with, but it isn't the full ASL rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other starter kits all have US scenarios and pieces.

If you want to go full ASL you will need to find a copy of Yanks: ASL Module 3 for the WTO (currently out of print) or Gung Ho!: ASL Module 9 for the PTO and the Marines (also currently out of prtint).

An alternative would be to find a copy of Paratrooper: ASL Module 2 which passed for an introductory module when Avalon Hill first published the ASL series - this is all US v Germans on the Western Front. This may be the cheapest and easiest module to get hold of even though it is no longer printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
The other starter kits all have US scenarios and pieces.

If you want to go full ASL you will need to find a copy of Yanks: ASL Module 3 for the WTO (currently out of print) or Gung Ho!: ASL Module 9 for the PTO and the Marines (also currently out of prtint).

An alternative would be to find a copy of Paratrooper: ASL Module 2 which passed for an introductory module when Avalon Hill first published the ASL series - this is all US v Germans on the Western Front. This may be the cheapest and easiest module to get hold of even though it is no longer printed.

Hello -

I've tried to stay informed of MMP reprint plans, since I am rebuilding a collection that I onece had. If you are patient, you will not need to chase after out-of-print modules. The one exception is "Armies of Oblivion" which includes the Allied Minor units and (unfortunately) about 10 pages of errata that replace pages in the rulebook. the Armies of Oblivion reprent was so recent that it will be a very, very long time before it comes back into print. It is available on EBAY occasionally.

re: the Americans - the plan is that they will all be reprinted in the near future. "Near Future" in MMP-speak means sometime in the next 2-3 years, although the PTO stuff might make 2011. Here are the two upcoming "reprints" that will include American stuff:

(Posted by an MMP rep Sept 2009) "The PTO module, the reprint of Code of Bushido and Gung Ho!, is nearly complete. The only projects remaining are to complete the balancing of the scenarios which needed some help, and creating the new box art. All other components are laid out and in an advanced state of proofing. I expect the project will be finished by the end of the year. Then it will be a question of when/where Brian will want to put it up for preorder and where it will fit in the print queue. The reprint includes 32 scenarios, combining the original Code of Bushido and Gung Ho! scenarios with thirteen out-of-print PTO scenarios. The reprint will also include the Gavutu-Tanambogo scenarios and campaign game (Sand and Blood) originally released in the ASL ‘93b Annual.

PTO reprint contents:
-Chapters G (Pacific Theater) and H
-over 1,700 counters, including the entire Japanese, Chinese and US Marine orders of battle
-boards 34-39 and 47
-overlays 1-6, B1-B5, Be1-7, Ef1-3, G1-5, GT, M1-5, O1-5, OC1-4, P1-5, RP1-5, Wd1-5, X6
-32 scenarios:

* Smertniki
* On The Kokoda Trail
* Shoestring Ridge
* Bungle in the Jungle
* The Eastern Gate
* Hazardous Occupation
* Red Star, Red Sun
* The Bushmasters
* Cibik's Ridge
* The Rock
* Today We Attack
* KP 167
* Jungle Citadel
* Sea of Tranquility
* Hell or High Water
* Bloody Red Beach
* Grabbing Gavutu
* Tanambogo Nightmare
* Take Two
* A Stiff Fight
* Battlin' Buckeyes
* Broken Bamboo
* Last of Their Strength
* Munda Mash
* OP Hill
* Orange at Walawbum
* Ramsey's Charge
* Shanghai in Flames
* Smith & Weston
* The Drive for Taierzhuang
* Totsugeki!
* White Tigers"

The rest of the American order of battle (all the rest other than the marines will be reprinted as:

"Yanks 2 preliminary layout has begun. We expect this module will include the scenarios which originally appeared in Paratrooper and presume it will also include several out of print scenarios as well."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
"Yanks 2 preliminary layout has begun. We expect this module will include the scenarios which originally appeared in Paratrooper and presume it will also include several out of print scenarios as well."

In stores near you, guaranteed by February...Of 2020!!!
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Spring
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why does'nt ASL have planes? they were apart of WWII

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is squad combat, they don't normally include air force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombielee wrote:
why does'nt ASL have planes? they were apart of WWII

ASL DOES have planes. Originally included in Yanks. It's a part of the Rulebook: In Chapter E. The rules go on for about 3-4 pages of 8-point type!

ASL has everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris, just in case you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to an ASL download page at multimanpublishing.com.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/tabid/64/...

There are two scenarios here for ASLSK1 that use U.S. forces.
they are...

S7 - Prelude to Festung Brest

S19 - Purple Heart Lane

It seems like the best way to build up U.S. forces for now is to buy Starter Kits. i think the reality of ASL is that the initial buy-in is about $200 for the Rulebook/Binder and Beyond Valor (for all the maps and system counters among other things). I believe the original design concept behind Squad Leader was that it was a tactical sim involving squads, leaders and support weapons on the Eastern Front of WW2. Everything else, such as air strikes, have been added on over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Spring
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet thanks that will help alot purple heart lane was awesome. I was wondering do they have Easy Company of the 101st? I really into non-fiction I love the fact everything I play like Vietnam 1965-1975 and
A Day of Heroes that's just a couple among others that it really happened and I can save the lives of Americans that did'nt come home when they were suppose to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaell Cobra
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zombielee wrote:

Simple: MMP Loves You!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cornford
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Get yourself a copy of Paratrooper, you can find copies either on Ebay or at one of the several 2nd Hand Game online retailers such as Noble Knight arounf $40 - $60 is about right.

This has 8 very good scenarios a couple which are classics as well as Board 24 and all the US/German and marker counters you need to play the included scenarios. The first edition came with Chapter K the Training Manual which is now part of the ASL rulebook.

The second edition also included boards 2 and 4 but no Training manual

you will need boards 1 and 3 for the second edition and boards 1-4 for the first edition to play, these are available second hand on ebay for a pretty low price.

When I started With ASL in the 80's I purchased the Rulebook and then Paratrooper as I already had all the boards 1-15 from Squad Leader Days. It is still a great buy combo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
I also strongly recommend Paratrooper, as above. Why MMP isn't reprinting this gem is a mystery to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikekreuzer wrote:
I also strongly recommend Paratrooper, as above. Why MMP isn't reprinting this gem is a mystery to me.

I thought that the starter kits were meant to completely replace Paratroopers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Henry Thripshaw
United States
Pacific NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Robot wrote:
mikekreuzer wrote:

Yes for the introductory part. The rest of Paratrooper will be rolled into the new Yanks which will also include some out of print scenarios re-balanced I'd assume, similar to For King and Country, Beyond Valor 3rd edition, Doomed Battalions 3 and the soon to be Rising Sun.

For the original poster, have you considered that the Americans fought the Germans in the ETO and their order of battle counter are found in Beyond Valor? You need it, so you should just buy it. Plus you'll need all the boards for full ASL anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Doc Robot wrote:
mikekreuzer wrote:

Meant to. Well maybe. Don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let me be more clear. The Starter Kits, according to MMP, are a complete replacement for Paratroopers and they have no intention of ever reprinting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me hijack this for a minute - I just got a copy of ASL Starter Kit #1 from a geek auction. What do I need to look for next? Wait on the print/reprint of Yanks 2 and PTO? Or is there something else that will give me the full ruleset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flintlocklaser wrote:
So let me hijack this for a minute - I just got a copy of ASL Starter Kit #1 from a geek auction. What do I need to look for next?

Whatever you want, really. I'd recommend a copy of Beyond Valor first if you're looking to move into full ASL. You'll need it to play anything else.

Quote:
Wait on the print/reprint of Yanks 2 and PTO?

I would. If I had the new stuff with the better counters and SK-style maps I wouldn't be going out of my way to collect the old stuff with the old counters and mounted mapboards.

Quote:
Or is there something else that will give me the full ruleset?

The rulebook is the only thing that gives you the full ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. Lord knows my wargame backlog is big enough already as it is; I'll probably hold off on further purchases until I've actually played the starter kit a few times, AND made a dent in the rest of the pile.

Having said that, is there anything I should grab immediately due to the 'moving in and out of print' issues mentioned above? Presumably the rulebook will always be in print? Beyond Valor looks like the must-grab item (fortunate since my main wargaming buddy is an Ostfront fan), should I grab it if I see it cheap? More to the point, if I do get BV, will I then need the rulebook, or does BV come with sufficient rules to use the contents?

Thanks for the guidance! ASL is sort of a big scary monolith to me and I don't know any locals who play, so I've got no moral support in this journey....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flintlocklaser wrote:
Ok, thanks. Lord knows my wargame backlog is big enough already as it is; I'll probably hold off on further purchases until I've actually played the starter kit a few times, AND made a dent in the rest of the pile.

Do yourself a huge favor and get the rest of the starter kit stuff if and when you can. Good times.

Quote:
Having said that, is there anything I should grab immediately due to the 'moving in and out of print' issues mentioned above? Presumably the rulebook will always be in print? Beyond Valor looks like the must-grab item (fortunate since my main wargaming buddy is an Ostfront fan), should I grab it if I see it cheap? More to the point, if I do get BV, will I then need the rulebook, or does BV come with sufficient rules to use the contents?

With ASL, the best thing you can do is grab anything you can afford at the time when you see it. No joke. Buy now or hold your peace.

Yes, pick up Beyond Valor and a copy of the rulebook soon if you want to move to full ASL. To be clear, you will need the rulebook as ASL products do not come with rules, excepting the starter kits.

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance! ASL is sort of a big scary monolith to me and I don't know any locals who play, so I've got no moral support in this journey....

Then you need to soon become familiar with the joys of VASSAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Ken Coble wrote:

To play full ASL, the Rulebook and BV are mandatory... you can't play full ASL without having both of them. Everything else is optional, depending upon your interests (and budget). Note, however, the many ASL players are "completists" so you will get lots of "buy everything!" advice.

Because the Rulebook and BV are mandatory, they are reprinted as needed, although either one may be out-of-stock for a few weeks/months between printings. MMP currently is out-of-stock on the rulebook, but some retailers may still have copies for sale.

The other core modules (modules that contain the counters for a specific nationality) will also be reprinted as needed, but they may go out-of-stock for years at a time (until enough demand is built up for a reprint). A few core modules, most notably Yanks, have never been printed by MMP and are still in the layout stage, so there's no telling when they will be available again.

For any ASL product other than a core module, there's no guarantee that it will ever be reprinted, so you should buy any of these that you are particularly interested in while you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Doc Robot wrote:
Ok, let me be more clear. The Starter Kits, according to MMP, are a complete replacement for Paratroopers and they have no intention of ever reprinting it.

Yes, I know. IMHO they're an inferior product. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.