Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When using the Glyph of Erland:

Can you only summon one figure or all the figures from a squad?
Also, can you stay on the glyph and continue to summon figures/squads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Glyph of Erland Question
Gamer DC (#462032),

You can only summon one figure at a time. Once you summon a figure, the glyph is removed from play...

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Teamski (#462054),

And you MUST summon a unit as soon as you step on the Glyph (ending your movement) - so as soon as you step on the Glyph it is used and removed immediately.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for the 'overlooked' temporary glyph portion of the question - should figured that one out on my own. I wasn't sure about the squad part though - Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kolenski
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC (#462032),

Although not the official rule, keeping the glyph permanent is playable and fun. If an opposing unit is brought through, an engagement is likely, and if the unit is not eliminated, it itself may have a chance to summon in reinforcements later (if he can get on it). The rule we play is that the glyph must be entered AGAIN -- just standing on it is not sufficient. So even the originator must not be on the glyph and engaged and have the room to manuever to get on it again, if that is what is desired. We also don't play that a unit MUST be summoned.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markkolenski (#462393),
I like that variation - I think we'll have to try it. What I'm finding is that some of the variations on the game keep my 7 year old son wanting to play it more and more. We just played a downloaded game (from this site) called Cemetary Search which includes jumping, no flying, and some of the glyphs and loved the variations. I wrote a session report on it we had so much fun with it (played it 4 times at about 2 hours each game!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Http:\\www.kieronmitchell.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Teamski (#462054),

And you MUST summon a unit as soon as you step on the Glyph (ending your movement) - so as soon as you step on the Glyph it is used and removed immediately.

-MMM

I believe that it says you MAY summon a unit...which means that you can choose not to, then step off, and back on, thus using it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Quote:
kieron wrote:

I believe that it says you MAY summon a unit...which means that you can choose not to, then step off, and back on, thus using it later.

Just having checked the rules, you are correct that summoning a unit is optional. However since it is still a temporary glyph, and the temporary glyph instructions say that the glyph is removed immediately after a unit steps on the glyph and reads and executes the instructions, that choosing not to activate the glyph still results in it being removed from the game.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Yao
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's pretty clear the rules say as soon as you step on it, it's gone. And they also say you MAY summon a figure (not army), so it's clearly optional.

We had some confusion on this the first play, but the rulebook was immediatly checked b/c otherwise it's way too powerful. If it wasn't temporary, you could just race your toughest unit (who could get there in time) there, and every turn just move off the glyph and then back on and systematically summon every enemy unit to you from weakest to strongest, wiping them out. Any game with this glyph, the entire battle would be about controlling access to it. Even if this was a permanent glyph, it would take one session for 99% of geeks to enact a homemade rule rendering it temporary, so the rule would only exist in the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Henckel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a somewhat unrelated comment.

In our group we usually build a big map, shuffle the large number of glyphs we have, and place some randomly face down on good places.

This has one problem.

A good place for a glyph is on a single patch of grass on top of a lava covered mountain, and we usually put one there.

After we take out the glyph of Erland.

It had happened before, that the glyph had been placed next to lava, which has a drastic, unbalancing effect.

Any figure may be summoned into the lava where it has a 1/20 chance of surviving.

BAD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.