Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about running a couple games for our weekly RPG group as a respite from playing RPGs. My query is: How hard would it be to increase the number of PCs to say 5 or 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
I was thinking about running a couple games for our weekly RPG group as a respite from playing RPGs. My query is: How hard would it be to increase the number of PCs to say 5 or 6?

Not that physically hard.

However it is likely to be very destructive of play balance. Aside from the additional numbers of 'actions' and resources this gives the heroes, the most significant, and difficult to quantify, effect is that it massively affects the area that the hero team has in line-of-sight.
Since the monsters can spawn out of any nook and cranny (and open space) that the heroes can't see, reducing the number of spaces that are 'currently not observed' is extremely important. And adding a 5th or 6th hero starts to cut the available 'spawn' spaces down to almost nothing, with drastic affects on game play and balance.

Although a few people have managed to bolt on a bunch of self-designed 'counter adjustments' and play with 5 heroes, the simple answer really is "sorry, this is not the game you are looking for if you must have 6-7 players".

There is an excellent fan-designed variant called Enduring Evil, by Antistone, which handles up to 5 heroes at a time, but it requires a fair bit of work printing, cutting (and sleeving) replacements for every card in the game (except hero stat cards).

Also, be advised that this is a tight, challenging (well, the first few quests not so much) tactical boardgame, not an RPG - replacement. People who play it as an RPG are usually frustrated and/or disappointed.

That doesn't mean it isn't right for your group though, just that to get the most out of it people may need to 'adjust' their mindsets out of ROG thinking. This time the OL really is out to get them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've experimented with modifying the monster stats for 5 heroes. I would recommend using the official cards for 5 players (5 players = 4 heroes + 1 overlord), and then adding the following:

Tier 1 monsters (Spiders, Beastmen, Skeletons) +2 wounds
Tier 2 monsters (Hellhounds, Razorwings, Sorcerors) +3 wounds
Tier 3 monsters (Manticores, Nagas, Ogres) +4 wounds
Tier 4 monsters (Dragons, Giants, Demons) +5 wounds

You will probably find the easier quests are still a walkover for the heroes, but it should help make the harder ones more competitive. In the base game I would suggest quests 5 and 7 might be suitable for 5 heroes (with these adjustments). Quest 3 might be a good introductory quest but will be far too easy once they know what they are doing.

As Corbon says though, this is not an RPG, it's a tactical boardgame. If you are playing the Overlord you should be trying your best to kill the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Although a few people have managed to bolt on a bunch of self-designed 'counter adjustments' and play with 5 heroes, the simple answer really is "sorry, this is not the game you are looking for if you must have 6-7 players".

Yeah I should have made it clear in my post; the adjustments I have selected will hopefully "kind of work" for some quests, but the majority of the quests will still be hopelessly unbalanced.

If you already own the game you may want to give my simple adjustments a go. Hopefully you'll find it fun (and you can maybe play the other quests when there are less of you there). However, I would not recommend purchasing the game for use with 5-6 heroes - it just doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't even really scale for 2-4 heroes; larger parties of heroes have a decided advantage over smaller ones under the official rules. Most groups seem to cope by always using the same number of heroes, regardless of the number of players.

There's a thread on The Enduring Evil here, if you want to look at it further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of using a fifth hero I would tend to use a second Overlord. Divide the monsters, discuss tactics. This increases your effectivness and helps the second Overlord to learn the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found a couple quests that can handle extra people. In the Quest Compendium, there is a quest that has two overlords. Also, there was a Fantasy Flight event in 2010 (a user here has a PDF of the handout that includes the quests) and one of the quests from that pitted two teams of heroes against each other, so that quest could conceivably handle as many as 10 players (if you have a dedicated overlord for each side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Instead of using a fifth hero I would tend to use a second Overlord. Divide the monsters, discuss tactics. This increases your effectivness and helps the second Overlord to learn the rules.

Make sense...thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.