Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gents,

I'm considering buying nephew Heroscape for his 8th birthday. He loves sci-fi and fantasy, but has never played a minis game before.

I know it says on the box that the game is for those 8 and up, but could the average 8 year old pick up the game rules just by reading and playing? He lives a thousand miles away from me, and his dad isn't into gaming. So he'd be on his own with this one.

I'd just hate for him to struggle and get turned off to this stuff.

Your tips and experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 8-year-olds who are capable of learning a game by reading the rules, but not many of them. Even a simple game requires complex reading skills. I think an 8-year-old could have fun even given HeroScape and no adult assistance, because the toy factor is very high. But he'd get more out of it if an adult learns the rules and teaches him how to play correctly.

P.S. You double posted - if you delete the other one, it will be less confusing for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the info and the catch.
Took it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere's response is spot on - much wisdom there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
My grandson was able to play when he was 7, but I had to teach it to him. I don't think an 8 year old can learn it by themselves from the box. You would have to play a few games with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
My grandson was able to play when he was 7, but I had to teach it to him. I don't think an 8 year old can learn it by themselves from the box. You would have to play a few games with him.

I would have to respectfully disagree, even with Sphere on this one. Since the original poster lives "a thousand miles away" from the recipient, he won't be able to play a few games however, in my own humble opinion based on experience; I feel there should be no problems whatsoever. And I do appreciate that not all children develop their reading skills at the same rate.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Esser
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~~~My kids were 7 & 8 when they learned the game...we started with the Marvel set, since they are into suuperheroes. But with only a little coaching, they picked up the basic game & were begging to play the advanced game within a few games. They pretty much taught themselves teh basics & I just cleared up arguments & helped with the more advanced rules. So I would agree with some of the others here that some kids can pick it up from teh book...but a little coaching will go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Is the kid in question sufficiently Internet-capable that he can easily email (or tweet or skype) Uncle Alex while he's reading the rules and trying his first game in order to ask questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.
I'm not sure whether he's computer savvy or systematic/patient enough.
But it's a good idea.

My plan now is to buy him the game and bring it over on my next trip. I'll give him a few games and then make myself available by Internet in case he has more questions.

Thank for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Varan
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has been playing Heroscape since he was 5. At first he played the basic game, but within a week or two he was playing the master game. I did have to explain the rules to him, but he picked it up very quickly (within an hour or two before he had it all). The biggest obstacle will be reading the powers on the cards, and that depends entirely on the individual child's reading and comprehension level. Their math skills also come into play when having to add/subtract from rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all of your replies give me hope.
I may just risk it .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.