Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,

Played the original Squad Leader lots back in the early 90's, and I've recently gotten the full 2nd edition rules and Beyond Valor for ASL. I even picked up the first starter set to help myself and my friends get used to the ASL rules set and get us back up to the level we used to be when we played SL.

My question..

I've noticed that many of the "core" ASL modules are out of print, yet some are still out there and available. There are the new starter sets and historical modules as well.

I want to know after having Beyond Valor, what is the next logical step I should take in my purchases for ASL? I'd love to eventually collect all of the boards and scenarios, but is that even possible now with all of the OOP modules?

Any kind of order to purchase or some way of making it easier to follow the flow of the war and the progression of the game would be great. ASL; laid out here in BGG as well as on Wikipedia and the MMP site don't really give you a straight answer on where to progress to.

HELP!!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, this website is a great resource:

http://www.desperationmorale.com

Several posts I like to reference are from Merric in this thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/433756

Combined, these will help you get a better grasp of what's current, and what's needed.

There have been several recent reprints and some upcoming ones you'll want to grab (with ASL grab everything if you can afford it).

Yanks - U.S. forces but very OOP right now. Hopefully to be reprinted sometime in the next decade. Try to get one at a nice price since this one is important for a large number of scenarios.

For King & Country - Currently on the preorder list. This will get you the British forces. Hopefully it'll be printed in 2011.

Doomed Battalions 3rd Ed. - Released last year and it includes The Last Hurrah module. This will give you the allied minors.

Armies of Oblivion - Started becoming very scarce last year so you might still get lucky and find one for a good price. This will give you the axis minors and makes the Partisans! module mostly null and void. Is slated to be reprinted but not sure when.

Gung Ho & Code of Bushido - To be printed as a combined module at some point in the future. This will get you the Japanese, U.S. Marines, Chinese, etc.

Coix de Guerre - A mixed bag. You get some french but more importantly you get some overlays needed for other scenarios. No idea if this will ever be cleaned up and reprinted in the future. Still available in some places for a nice price I think.

That's all I remember off the top of my head. Def. hit up the links above for more detailed info! Good luck and welcome to the madhouse. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Go here for an ASL Module Dependencey Chart:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/31682/asl-module-depen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
The Historical Module Valor of the Guards is currently in print, and requires nothing more than Beyond Valor. It makes a good next step - you'll have a ton of scenarios to play while you search or wait for the out of print modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It seems like MMP is not able to afford to keep many modules in print (or even the starter kits), so they seem to rotate back into print when they have enough preorders/capital to justify the expense.

A lot of what you need depends on what you want to play.

If you want to focus on Eastern Front - German v. Soviet, it seems like that is the easiest path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should probably find a way to get Yanks: ASL Module 3 next. I bought my copy off of ebay. Germans, Russians, and Americans are a must have in my opinion. The reason why Yanks: ASL Module 3 is out of print right now is because Avalon Hill, before going under, printed a bunch of copies, so MMP had a bunch sitting around when they started up and it has only "recently" gone out of print.

I know MMP is in the works of making a reprint of Yanks: ASL Module 3 combined with Paratrooper: ASL Module 2. I have no clue when that will come out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started (only a few years ago) with the SK 1 and the SK 3... Next I got Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisans, Pegasus Bridge, Red Barricades, and Valor of the Guards, in that order. So far, I have played a TON of Sk1, Paratrooper, and Beyond Valor (I felt paratrooper to be far superior to the SKs in familiarizing myself with the system, though I may be alone on that one) have never played Yanks, Partisans, Pegasus, or Valor of the Guards. My advice to you is this: These games are expensive. Don't go any farther than you have ppl to play with. VASL can help in this aspect, but I am a far more tactile game player. I love to touch the chits and laugh in my opponents face while I hose him in the Op fire phase. While it's tempting to go completionist on this system, buy within your means and make sure you have the opponents to get the bang from your buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started collecting ASL over the summer. I had played Squad Leader in my teens and had recently played it again. I decide to go for full ASL and am glad I did. Even though it has made a wallet a bit thinner.

I got Beyond Valor and a 1st edition rulebook to start. I also got the first two starter kits so I could ease myself into the rules and also have some other nationalities to play with.

I also bought Doomed Battalions soon after because I was afraid it would go out of print. Other core modules I picked up from Noble Knight and eBay. Croix de Guerre and Partisan I picked up for about 20 bucks each and Yanks I paid almost a hundred but I feel it was worth it to get the American troops which opened up a lot of scenarios.

I think with ASL the motto should be if you can afford it get it. I have For King and Country on pre-order and will get the Pacific box as soon as it is on the list. Now I am just trying to keep myself from buying the map bundle so I don't have to deal with my mixed boards. I should have stuck to collecting punk rock singles.

The game is great even if the price is high. Now if only I could find some people on Big Island to play with. VASL never can get started on my computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.