Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like we have 6 people on the waiting list again so I figured I'd jump in and start up another session... This one named for the Mel Brooks parody of Dracula in honor of the recent passing of it's star, Leslie Nielson, this past November:

Anybody watching the boards will see this initial post and I'll be sending out invites a little later today.

First, thanks to the work of those who’ve gone before in getting this set up, especially for Andy Clautice who initiated the Fury of Dracula PBFs and who provided me with the support materials he created while running PBF #1. I’ll also note that the remainder of the text below is based on (or directly copied from) his introduction to PBF #3.

Invites will be sent out based on the waiting list here: FoD_PBF. These will be randomized, and each person in turn will choose who they wish to play.

Once we begin, I will provide a board image at the beginning of Dracula's turn so that the dark lord can plan his move around the Hunters. I will also provide another image as soon after Dracula's turn as is practical for the Hunters to work from.

When a Hunter moves to a new city, either Dracula or I can tell them whether they have crossed the Trail and what they find there. We're all here to have fun, and I don't feel I will (or should) need to verify each move myself if Dracula is around and can announce it. (This is also a chance for Drac to write a little flavor, if so inclined.)

At the end of each round, I will send a list of hands to all Hunters, as the players are permitted to see each others' cards. I will try to send cards as they are drawn, but may not always be able to. I will always make an effort to do so if they are relevant to the situation at hand.

Players holding a situational counter card, such as Escape Routes or False Tip-Off, should probably try to submit COs (Conditional Orders) regarding their use. The game can move relatively quickly, and you don't want to miss the window. Good Luck and Devilish Power respond to other cards instead of standard game events, so I think they will be easier to manage.

A final note: this game's rules can be kind of fiddly, and you probably don't know it as well as you think you do. I certainly don't. (Really, everyone should expect to learn at least one thing they didn't know before over the course of the game.) If you think you see something happen wrong, say something, because you are probably right. I will try my best to make corrections and continue play smoothly.

It's easiest to keep track of who's who if you identify yourself as your character. The best way to do that is to use the banners (similar to the Moderator banner I used at the top of this page). You can find those here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57603/fury-of-dracula-...

To use one, simply input the text "ImageID=784642 original" into your post, with the quote marks replaced with square brackets and using the appropriate image number. It's not necessary to place one for every post, if you just reply to offer advice or discuss a move, but please do use one with any post that contains an official move or instruction.

Secondly, please use bold text to indicate an official order. Flavor text can be indicated with italic text. General discussion can be left as plain text. Speaking of Flavor Text: It is not required, but is strongly encouraged as it adds a lot of color and theme to the proceedings.

A quick scan through of any of the current of previous PBF games will show all of these conventions at work.

Invites will be sent to:

1: dogma
2: Hannibal Rex
3: dave65tdh
4: servoret
5: Kenshir0

Alternates:

6: MagicMvL

Please post in thread if you accept the position, I’m going to allow 48 hours as of the sending of each invite for each of the main list before moving to alternates.

Once we have 5 confirmations we'll proceed with character selection, in a random order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!

I think I'll be able to handle moderating and playing at the same time, so Count me in. I hope there'll be bad puns and lowbrow humor aplenty in this game, consider this a start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MagicMvL Magic
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
If anyone drops off the list, I'll be in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meh. You can quote me on that.
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In! Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Invite is Accepted.

Clouds are gathering over Transylvania. This seems more than some far-fetched climate change phenomenon. Almost like some old evil of the ancient world is sturring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick update:

All but Kenshir0 have accepted. He still has some time to respond before moving on to MagicMvL.

RedShark92 wrote:

1: dogma - Accepted.
2: Hannibal Rex - Accepted.
3: dave65tdh - Accepted.
4: servoret - Accepted.
5: Kenshir0 - Waiting

Alternates:

6: MagicMvL - Accepted if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, do any of my fellow players have character preferences?

Personally, I'm fine with any hunter but Mina, since I just played her. But if I get the opportunity, I play a mean Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with whomever--but of course Dracula is more fun and Mina really needs to be sharp.

How much FoD have people played? I've played only a dozen or so times, with 4 of those since halloween.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hello everybody,
Im in!
If its not to late already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
How much FoD have people played? I've played only a dozen or so times, with 4 of those since halloween.

I haven't played FTF much since I started the PBFs. Maybe half a dozen games or so total.

And welcome Kenshir0!

This means we can proceed to character selection already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
In my group I am always the Dracula.
So im happy to be any of the hunters in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MagicMvL wrote:
If anyone drops off the list, I'll be in!

We did get all five, but you're now first in line for the next one.

Our order for character selection is:

servoret
dogma
Kenshir0
Hannibal Rex
dave65tdh

servoret - you're up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, No worries and not to be a pain or anything, but how about the die rolls? whistle For example from #6:

Hannibal Rex wrote:
And the assembly is complete. Now to determine the order of character choice:

Flyboy Connor Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (37) = 37
ColtsFan76 Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (44) = 44
RedShark92 Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (100) = 100
ofoto Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (67) = 67
baub64 Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (44) = 44

And we got a rematch already:

ColtsFan76 Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (61) = 61
baub64 Hannibal Rex previously rolled 1d100 = (91) = 91

Final order:

RedShark92 gets first pick
ofoto
baub64
ColtsFan76
Flyboy Connor bringing up the rear

Of course I am happy to take whichever roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
Joe, No worries and not to be a pain or anything, but how about the die rolls? whistle For example from #6:

We'll keep going with the list I started, the die rolls will come into play later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with that. As I'm not going to be online for very much longer, here's my preferred character choice:

1) Dracula
2) Dr. Seward
3) Van Helsing
4) Lord Godalming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doctor Seward is the chump choice for me!
Oh merciful gods! That the ringing in my ears would cease for but a moment! Serves me well, I suppose, trying to outdrink a Scottish sailor yesterday eve! Good Morpheous, from this phial I succor you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Interesting....
Although it is tempting to pick Dracula, I will go with Lord Godalming.
I think Hannibal with his experiece will prove to be an excellent Dracula. Dave will then be playing Mina for whom he also showed a preference.

Lets start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a me, Dracula!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the hunters can already discuss starting locations. I'll pick mine when you've decided, and I've had my encounter hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So here we are:

Hannibal Rex as Dracula

and the Hunters:

Kenshir0 as Lord Godalming
dogma as Dr. Seward
servoret as Van Helsing
dave65tdh as Mina Harker

The Hunters can discuss and select starting locations. In the meantime, Dracula's starting encounters have been sent to him and he can select a starting location once the Hunters have done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro
Netherlands
flag msg tools

I suggest I will start in Lisabon, so I can take maximum advantage of my ways to influnce railroad schedules by using the superior western tracks. Belgrade is also an option for me, to make use of my combat abilities to counter enhanced minions in eastern europe.
One should also cover England (Van Helsing probably).
Italy would be a nice central place for Mina to start. Since she is the most logical prey for a Dracula attack, its nice to have her close to all other hunters for help. This will leave a big space in the centre of the map for Dracula to hide. But also one that all hunters will have easy access to.

Therefore, All hunters are free to pick either Lisabon or Belgrade on my behalve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

(I must find a silly banner...)

Ooh Ooh! I call Spain (Cadiz)! Or Italy (Florence), second! The Doctor feels the need for a warmer, more Mediterranean climate!

Ah! The fair waters of the Mediterranean! Home to such marvelous cities! And people! Such as my dear new manservant Raoul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogma wrote:
And people! Such as my dear new manservant Raoul...

I'd watch out for that one... He looks a bit suspicious:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey! Ah, so Mina is the unloved--also know as bait.

I'll vote for LG to start in E. Europe (Belgrade) as minions can be more of a problem there and we wouldn't want to leave that for poor, old, helpless Mina. DS, either is fine (you haven't yet specified) and Mina can start somewhere in the middle.

Oh, which way are we playing, can Mina just draw an item in a small city (opting to not pick an event), or must she draw an event (making a "can" selectively mean "must")? And if she must draw an event, does she have to draw the event first, or can the item be drawn first? (I really wish there would be an official FAQ on this and this is the only point of contention I have with the forums). Perhaps this will influence where I start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
Oh, which way are we playing, can Mina just draw an item in a small city (opting to not pick an event), or must she draw an event (making a "can" selectively mean "must")? And if she must draw an event, does she have to draw the event first, or can the item be drawn first? (I really wish there would be an official FAQ on this and this is the only point of contention I have with the forums). Perhaps this will influence where I start.

A good question. My ruling is (copied from what I wrote in PBF4):

Because it is an "Extra" card draw, she has to use the standard Resupply action before she can use it. In a Small City that means drawing an Event.

Therefore, in a Small City she can draw: 1 Event, 2 Events or 1 Event and 1 Item.

In general, because I’m lazy (), I’m going to follow the general consensus as seen on the FAQ we’re maintaining here (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/FoD_PBF_FAQ). If there’s anything not covered here or in the official rules and/or FAQ, please ask about it in a GM before proceeding with anything that might be questionable.

As far as the order goes, anytime you're drawing multiple cards, you can opt to do them in any order you wish. If the second draw is conditional on the results of the first, just say so and we can handle them that way.

If I don't get a specific request for which order you'd like to do them, or a notification that one draw is conditional based on an earlier draw, I'll notify you of both draws simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.